Notices
Scion tC 1G ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Need help deciding on good subwoofer, and ED 6000 components

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2006, 06:00 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Need help deciding on good subwoofer, and ED 6000 components

Hey there ppl. Im thinking about a nice setup for my bass and cant decide wether to go with a Resonant Engineering 10" SX or a Audiobahn AWIS10P. Is RE really that much better? What is it that makes them better than other subs? I am planning to put them in a small, sealed box as i dont want to kill my whole trunk. Ive edeaded and teklite'd the whole car in hopes of getting better, clearer bass when i put the sub in.

I am still running a stock HU with a line out converter. The ED 6000's sound a bit better, specially with a couple of adjustments done to my audiobahn a4601t. I plan on putting my 6000's on a high pass and on better head unit (avic d1). Someone here please tell me they sound crisp and clear on a high pass at high volumes, because right now they sound kinda funny with the small amount of bass i always put.

Any suggestions are welcomed. Also, someone PLEASE tell me the edi 6000's sound real good on a high pass, PLEASE!

E
Old 03-20-2006, 06:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
OhioScions
SL Member

if i were you
i would n$ot even think about the audiobahn
and get the re
but thats just me
ive had both brands though
Old 03-20-2006, 12:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

RE would be better to get than Audiobomb... but I'd probably get eD subs/amps and just turn the whole system eD!!! would look alot better and woule give you great sq!!
Old 03-20-2006, 02:10 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hmm ok point taken =) Now, i really dont like the design of the huge cone and almost no magnet that eD has. I really do like the company itself as ive already spent hundreds on edead and edi comps, but i cant buy their subs. They just look weird, and max power is just 700 RMS.

I want a amp that will sound good and hit hard in a small box, a wedge one if possible. I made the mistake of getting an audiobahn a4601t. Now that i see the Nine 2x i feel kinda stupid =P

Please recommend me one that will sound good in a sealed hathback-type box. It looks like RE needs a huge ported box =\
Old 03-20-2006, 02:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Adire Audio, JL, Boston, Diamond, Crystal, Eclipse, focal, Crossfire, Soundstream....
Old 03-28-2006, 06:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The eD's would sound better for alot less money than any of the previous mentioned subs....
Old 03-28-2006, 07:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by EddyXP
Hmm ok point taken =) Now, i really dont like the design of the huge cone and almost no magnet that eD has. I really do like the company itself as ive already spent hundreds on edead and edi comps, but i cant buy their subs. They just look weird, and max power is just 700 RMS.
Only 700 watts? Go play in the red zone! But be careful!
http://www.edesignaudio.com/power.php

Of course, you can always choose the Audioburns...NOT!
BTW, huge cone=good!
Old 03-28-2006, 07:35 PM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scinergy

As mentioned previously, the cone is actually what is making the sound. Big magnets, big surrounds, small cones are just marketing tools because Americans have been programmed into thinking bigger is better.

On a speaker, that's not necessarily true. Yes, you do need a motor w/ enough force for the speaker, but having a triple stacked motor on a driver w/ 1" peak to peak excursion is just for marketing. Same w/ the huge surrounds...you can make a surround tall and thin, get more actual surface area, and not sacrifice on the xmax. This = louder when sealed.
Old 03-29-2006, 03:58 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hmm ive been taken to school =) Guess i will get getting a 16ov after all =)

Well mandos i need your opinion and expertise here. I bought 4 edi 6000's for my component with 4 infinity reference 1011t tweets. I have them running of an audiobahn a4601t (i know, will b changed soon to a nine.2) I really dont like the sound coming out, but i am attributing it to the stock HU. I have the amp hooked to a line-out converter.

Whenever i set the volume a bit high, the music sounds like a echo. Is this the sign of a crappy HU and LOC (stock) ? I really resect ed and hope that its something stupid like that =)

E
Old 03-29-2006, 05:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

well i use to have 2 10's in a ported box in my trunk the rockford fosgate p2's an they sounded really good till I had a custom box made for the trunk I went with Atomic an you know what I have turned my stero up to 50 an they dont destort at all I was impressed- there like 250$ each-- there an off brand but there all hand made an i didnt want to put them in my car I was more along of putting some JL in my car an I put there componet set in my car the 6.5 in the front an rear an it is Clear-- EvilDave has some 12's in his car from Atomic-- I have not asked him how he likes them--

here is a pic of my set up--

as you can see there are the 2 Rockford 10's

Old 03-29-2006, 02:59 PM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scinergy

Originally Posted by EddyXP
Hmm ive been taken to school =) Guess i will get getting a 16ov after all =)

Well mandos i need your opinion and expertise here. I bought 4 edi 6000's for my component with 4 infinity reference 1011t tweets. I have them running of an audiobahn a4601t (i know, will b changed soon to a nine.2) I really dont like the sound coming out, but i am attributing it to the stock HU. I have the amp hooked to a line-out converter.

Whenever i set the volume a bit high, the music sounds like a echo. Is this the sign of a crappy HU and LOC (stock) ? I really resect ed and hope that its something stupid like that =)

E
Could be a lot of things.

Do you have the amp bridged or 4 channel?

Also, rear tweeters will lead to odd cancellation which might sound like an echo. I'd honestly go with that as the reason and pull the rear tweets out.
Old 03-31-2006, 03:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

might wanna try DD Audio...
Old 03-31-2006, 03:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^^ DD's (Digital Design) are some loud ****'s, and nice subs too!! but next to an eD woofer, the DD would sound like doggy excrement (poo)
Old 03-31-2006, 03:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

true... thats why im only using their 10"er... more of an SQL type of set-up... im actually thinking of selling it to try the eDs... based on what ive searched, eD is superb in sq but im sure they have a thump in them also... what i suugest is invest in a good set of amps... in that way, you can go spl, sq or whatever you prefer... IMO, your amp will be the backbone of your system... even if you have a good set of drivers/comps, if you under feed them, it would sound crappy... .02....