Notices
Scion tC 1G ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

New Kicker speakers quieter than stock speakers?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2017, 03:00 PM
SL Member

Default New Kicker speakers quieter than stock speakers?

I bought this set of speakers, tweeters, and crossovers

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_206CSS...g&awug=9024749

I've only Installed it on the driver side so far. After installing everything I decided to see how much louder it was thsn the stock speakers, so i put it to the front then go back and forth with the balance to see the difference between new and old. And the New Kicker set up is actually a little bit quieter than the stock setup on the passenger side. That doesn't seem right to me? I haven't installed passenger side yet cuz the driver side was quieter, so i thought about possibly returning the Kicker speakers, cuz im not paying that much $ for QUIETER speakers, but I had to break the stock speaker on the way getting it out so if i return them im without a speaker on that side. No way nice Kickers should be quieter right?

Any ideas/suggestions/input?

Last edited by MR_LUV; 11-27-2017 at 03:13 PM.
Old 11-26-2017, 06:22 PM
SL Member

Oh and i have also changed out the head unit to a 320w boss audio head unit prior to this
Old 11-27-2017, 01:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

They need an amp, period. Aftermarket component speakers are much beefier than OEM, but they also need more power to get moving. That head unit is not going to cut it if you want loud. You need a dedicated amplifier to power those. Unfortunately, they aren't cheap either. Figure you will need another $150-200 minimum for an amp and wiring kit. Then there's the actual installation cost if you don't do it yourself.
Old 12-01-2017, 09:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Cool

Originally Posted by BDog21
I bought this set of speakers, tweeters, and crossovers

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_206CSS...g&awug=9024749

I've only Installed it on the driver side so far. After installing everything I decided to see how much louder it was thsn the stock speakers, so i put it to the front then go back and forth with the balance to see the difference between new and old. And the New Kicker set up is actually a little bit quieter than the stock setup on the passenger side. That doesn't seem right to me? I haven't installed passenger side yet cuz the driver side was quieter, so i thought about possibly returning the Kicker speakers, cuz im not paying that much $ for QUIETER speakers, but I had to break the stock speaker on the way getting it out so if i return them im without a speaker on that side. No way nice Kickers should be quieter right?

Any ideas/suggestions/input?
yes they would be, just as bbsciontc was explaining. The reason this is, look at the specs of the speaker. minimum RMS wattage is 100! The minimum RMS wattage on the stock head unit was like 14w!

You don't have enough wattage to run the Kicker speakers you bought and that's why they're not loud enough. You need a speaker that would be more matched for the RMS wattage of a headunit, instead of an external amplifier.
If you don't want to go through getting an amp, then return the speakers and get something that has a much lower RMS/minimum wattage requirement.

And definitely look for the sensitivity of a speaker. That also can have an influence on how loud the volume is from a speaker. Every 3db increase of sensitivity is equal to doubling the wattage of the Amp!
So if you had a 90db/sensitivity speaker with 50 watts going to it, to get the same loudness with an 87db/sensitivity speaker you'd need 100 watts! It's not what you got it's what you do with the speaker signal supplied!

The Kickers you got are at 90db/sensitivity, but again, the wattage is way too high for an internal Amp of a headunit.

Last edited by MR_LUV; 12-02-2017 at 06:04 AM.