Notices
Scion tC 1G ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Please give me your input on my New Stereo setup!

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2008, 02:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Please give me your input on my New Stereo setup!

Hey everyone, Ive been driving myself crazy over how i should setup the new stereo for my tc. My current setup is STOCK HU with the Stock sub on a 2006.

What i have ready for install is the following:

Pioneer Avic-d3 w/ bluetooth, and ipod cables
Boston Sl60 components for the front
Polk Momo mmc6500 for the rear

Also im up in the air about Sound deadners. I have on hand about 30 sq ft so far of Second Skin DAMPLIFIER PRO. I was going to use this for the doors and maybe buy more second skin for the rest of the car. OR go cheap and just get Fatman or Ed for the rest of the car but my consern is the HEAT IN FLORIDA. I dont want this deadner to peal off the inside walls of the car. What do you all think?

where im stuck is choosing a nice quality amp to run the speakers. I NEED SUGGESTIONS PLEASE

I have been looking at Alpine PDX series, and ARC and JL amps.

2nd problem im having is I have the money to ____ away on another sub setup but at the same time I dont want to change the WHOLE sub setup. Im not for alot of bass and im just looking for a clean sub setup.

Almost like this idea for the sub using the factory box:
JL AUDIO 10W3 with a alpine MRP-500

again im just looking for some good input here.
Old 06-13-2008, 04:01 PM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
ScionERA
SL Member

Don't waste your money on rear speakers. Use that money for other stuff ie. amps, subs etc. Check out Raammat for sound deadner, it is great stuff and the owner is a member of this forum. I have had the stuff installed in my car for over a year and it is not falling off at all, keep in mind I live in AZ.
Old 06-13-2008, 07:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Strictly Scionized
SL Member

If you can afford the damplifier pro, just stick with it. I have the pro on my doors also, went through 26sqft but still need more.
Old 06-13-2008, 08:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You'll be happy with the D3, but if you use your iPod a lot take a look at the brand new Alpine units. They worked with Apple to make iPod integration seamless. I tried running without rear speakers, but I couldn't make myself like the sound without them. Each to their own, but try it both ways. I have an Alpine MRP-M450 I'm trying to dump off if you're looking for an amp in that power range. 400w x 1 @ 2ohms. $150 shipped.
Old 06-13-2008, 08:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I agree with trials. If you can afford the damplifier, definitely use it, it's a high quality product. I also agree with lil_will and say ditch the rear speakers, they will NOT help your soundstage and will more than likely just cause more hassle/money/time. A front component set and subwoofer is all you really need. The Boston components you've chosen for the front stage check out fine.

As far as amps go, all three you mentioned are quality, however, the JL's quality is nothing special and yet you will pay a pretty decent premium, so I'd shy away from them. Arc amps are also very good, but costly like the JL's as well. PDX's are very compact and quality amplifiers for the cost. They are also very efficient and make a LOT of power. I run my RSD's off a 2.150 and my Dayton off a 1.600. The 2.150 was birthed at 178/channel and the 1.600 was birthed at 698/channel. They are very underrated.

Honestly, I would definitely get a new subwoofer setup if I were you. When you respond to all these posts, ask yourself whether you care more about being able to really feel your music and bump down the street or whether you'd prefer a seamless blending with the front stage and a very musically accurate sub? Also, would you prefer to retain a stock look and feel or do you not mind an aftermarket-looking box?
Old 06-13-2008, 08:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If you want to maintain the stock look, you could always go with an SQ10 in the spare tire enclosure from eD. Sounds decent, but isn't pounding bass or anything.
Old 06-13-2008, 08:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

x2 on losing the rear speakers, and investing those funds on more effective upgrades.
Old 06-14-2008, 03:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well from my list that is what i already have. I just havent installed the bostons yet or the avic. I already have the polks installed in the rear, but that is one area im not too worried about. your right you really dont hear them, but i didnt buy them my brother bought them for my xmas present.

The factory sub- now i have 2 reasons to why i wouldnt jump the gun and buy the ed enclosure or get something custom! MY gf WILL RIP MY ***** OFF! lol Well thats just a joke, but she doesnt want me to be ____in away money on something different that i already have but could change it up and use some of what i already have. Trust me if i could get at least 140 bucs for the damn thing i would sell it in a heartbeat!

So today i read everyones input and i thank you all. I went ahead and ran down to the expensive as crap audio shop here in tampa and they gave me the run down on the Alpine PDX and the new JL hd series. Both are badass, but from the salesman perspective, i believe he was trying to sell me the most expensive ____ (jl hd) over the alpine. After he found out who i was and how I already sell my products (gym equipment) to his boss the owner the attitude changed and he told me the alpine pdx 4-100 would be perfect for the components and to buy the JL sub with a Mono amp and ill be rocking.

SO after all that! I THINK im all set unless something changes but im going to order more second skin first. Then im going to order the pdx 4-100 amp and the sub ill order after i have everything setup.

Again i thank you all for your input!
Old 06-14-2008, 02:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ok well going to go ahead and do it

Factory Sub is forsale! But i cant post it in the classifields sucks!