Notices
Scion tC 1G ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Quality install, a DIY??? Components?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2006, 04:26 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Quality install, a DIY??? Components?

I have begun to look at upgrading the audio in my car and I have a few questions for the audiophiles out there.

Firstly, I should probably tell you my goals:
-First and foremost is quality.
-I would like crisp and clear notes in all frequency ranges
-I want to increase output (feel the bass) without hindering clarity
-I need to KEEP COSTS DOWN.
-I need to retain steeringwheel controls.

I have already installed 140 sq ft of Damplifier Pro, so I'm moving in the right dierection. I mainly listen to rock, everything from the Doors to the Deftones. A Perfect Cicle is my favorite band, and the variety in sound that they have is what I want to be aiming towards producing in the car.

Now I hear that a key factor in how a system sound is the install. I know mechanical things, not sterios and LED's.
-What in the install creates a quality sytsem?
-Would a fairly mechanically inclided person be able?
-What peices or components would you recommend to reach my goals?

*Please do not answer the last question if you do not know a variety of products. I am looking for an educated answer

Thanks you for any help!!!

-BrianH
Old 04-05-2006, 05:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ok the only way you can keep steering wheels control is to get an eclipse headunit (only from the higher series) which start at around 300. Its true that install is key. Because if its not done correctly, it won't sond the way it should and you will be dissapointed spending all that money. For speakers, the most important thing is to use a mdf baffle and seal up the doors with a sound deadener (damplifier pro in your case). I think a fairly mechanical inclined person can learn all this, because its how every audio noob starts. For your equipment i would have to recommend Elemental Designs, one of the sponsors of this forum. Since your goal is sound quality and low budget. They have good stuff and customer service is great.
Old 04-05-2006, 06:08 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

OK, but what constitutes a *great install* from an *ok install*?
Old 04-05-2006, 07:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

like i said. if everything is done correctly then you have a great install. its either you did it correct or its a bad install. a great install would be a correctly deadened door with a mdf baffle mounted on it and a speaker affixed to the baffle. vs an ok install which just has the speaker mounted to the metal door with no sound dampening on it.
Old 04-05-2006, 09:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

For the sub the box makes all the difference. a bad box can make the best subs sound like crap and visa versa, if you go sealed make sure you dont have any leaks at all and if you go ported make sure you get it ported within the range best suited for your particual sub, and as i see it you get what you pay for so instide of getting it all at once maybe get some more quality stuff over a period of time
Old 04-06-2006, 03:33 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ok, it seems like a quality install is easier than I thought! One more question, how do you measure the volume of a box that is not geometrically shaped? Cubes and rectangles and simple curves have equestions, but how do you find the volume of a box that is formed for looks and function?
Old 04-06-2006, 04:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by texasisbigger
Ok, it seems like a quality install is easier than I thought! One more question, how do you measure the volume of a box that is not geometrically shaped? Cubes and rectangles and simple curves have equestions, but how do you find the volume of a box that is formed for looks and function?
Kinda makes you feel like you should have listened a little better in math class.

Seriously though...

The volume of any enclosure that isn't comprised of equal length sides at right angles can be found by calculating the volume using the largest length, width and depth values. Then subtracting the volumes of the remaining irregular shapes.

If you already have the enclosure and it's somewhat water proof... fill it up with water and then measure the amount of water you pour out of it.

Do a Google search on Sub Enclosure Volumes and you'll get lot's of examples.