Notices
Scion tC 1G ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Question for Factory installed Pioneer/amfm/mp3/Sirius users

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2006, 08:28 PM
5 Year Member

Default Question for Factory installed Pioneer/amfm/mp3/Sirius users

Where is the antenna located in your cars? I installed this deck in my Matrix, and I put the antenna behind the rearview mirror, but that dot-matrix stuff is there, and I think it's hindering the signal.

Any help would be appreciated :D
Old 10-09-2006, 09:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I've got Sirius, and the dealer installed triangular antenna is mounted to the windshield, behind the rear view mirror. I'm less than thrilled with Sirius for a few reasons, but don't attribute that to the antenna location.
Old 10-09-2006, 09:24 PM
5 Year Member

I really enjoy Sirius myself, but the signal strength sucks at times, and at other times, it's just not there at all. At random times.
Old 10-10-2006, 08:49 PM
5 Year Member

Nobody else?
Old 10-10-2006, 08:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I've seen them mounted on the rear fender either infront of or just behind the factory radio antenna. I even think in the Scion brochure it's located there.
Old 10-10-2006, 09:00 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by rygar
I've seen them mounted on the rear fender either infront of or just behind the factory radio antenna. I even think in the Scion brochure it's located there.
The factory antenna is HUGE...4 x 7 inches at least.
Old 10-10-2006, 09:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I've only seen the XM antennas mounted that way, not Sirius.
Old 10-12-2006, 01:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Wow, that a big antenna! I guess that antenna I saw was an XM antenna.
Old 10-15-2006, 11:53 AM
5 Year Member

Wow, that a big antenna! I guess that antenna I saw was an XM antenna.
It could be.

Mine's shaped like this (poor ASCii doodling)

_______
\___,__/
and^ is the antenna wire
Old 10-15-2006, 06:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

On my RS 2.0, the antenna is on the dash, in the middle, about 2 inches from the windshield.

I have found that between XM and Sirius, XM has better reception in big cities (downtown Chicago) due to more repeaters whereas Sirius gets better reception in the middle of no where (Purdue University), especially going through forests.

Otherwise, they are pretty much the same thing.

Originally Posted by Squashtowner73
I really enjoy Sirius myself, but the signal strength sucks at times, and at other times, it's just not there at all. At random times.
Someone at the dealer should have told you that Sirius is not really for Canada. In fact, Sirius themselves tells you they are not availabe in Canada. Try mounting your antenna on the roof right in the center. It is higher and there is absolutely no blockage. www.siriusbackstage.com may be able you help you out more.
Old 10-15-2006, 09:09 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by Shogun
On my RS 2.0, the antenna is on the dash, in the middle, about 2 inches from the windshield.

I have found that between XM and Sirius, XM has better reception in big cities (downtown Chicago) due to more repeaters whereas Sirius gets better reception in the middle of no where (Purdue University), especially going through forests.

Otherwise, they are pretty much the same thing.

Someone at the dealer should have told you that Sirius is not really for Canada. In fact, Sirius themselves tells you they are not availabe in Canada. Try mounting your antenna on the roof right in the center. It is higher and there is absolutely no blockage. www.siriusbackstage.com may be able you help you out more.
Every electronics store in Canada sells Sirius receivers. They're Canadian AND American.

www.siriuscanada.com

And I installed this system myself with the equipment I purchased here, and on Ebay.
Old 10-16-2006, 12:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Every electronics store in Canada sells Sirius receivers. They're Canadian AND American.

www.siriuscanada.com

And I installed this system myself with the equipment I purchased here, and on Ebay.
It was a while since I was putting a system together so this is what I saw when looking.
http://www.siriusbackstage.com/forum...ghlight=canada
I see that Sirius has made their services available to Canada. It is about time, that is a big market. So alas, it is available in Canada.

I did the same for my cavalier, I found out I had a headunit to control Sirius so I used ebay to piece it together. I had that set-up since August of 2005.

The BEST spot is on the roof of your car. People have had problems with tint blocking the signal. When the antenna is inside, depending on where the satellite is in the sky, part of the car could be blocking it. Underneath the rearview mirror has pretty much half of the possible area for reception. The satellite would need to be directly above you to get a good signal traveling any direction.

As for Canadian repeaters, I am not sure. Try looking up Sirius Backstage for information. If there are no repeaters close to you then all you will get is satellite signal.
Old 10-16-2006, 10:11 AM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by Shogun

www.siriuscanada.com

It was a while since I was putting a system together so this is what I saw when looking.
http://www.siriusbackstage.com/forum...ghlight=canada
I see that Sirius has made their services available to Canada. It is about time, that is a big market. So alas, it is available in Canada.

I did the same for my cavalier, I found out I had a headunit to control Sirius so I used ebay to piece it together. I had that set-up since August of 2005.

The BEST spot is on the roof of your car. People have had problems with tint blocking the signal. When the antenna is inside, depending on where the satellite is in the sky, part of the car could be blocking it. Underneath the rearview mirror has pretty much half of the possible area for reception. The satellite would need to be directly above you to get a good signal traveling any direction.

As for Canadian repeaters, I am not sure. Try looking up Sirius Backstage for information. If there are no repeaters close to you then all you will get is satellite signal.
I'm curious if the sirius antennas for standalone units would work (plug in) to my Scion Sirius box...

I should ask my neighbor if I can try his on my car.