Scionlife.com

Scionlife.com (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/)
-   Scion tC 1G ICE & Interior (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-tc-1g-ice-interior-1647/)
-   -   Scion tC Alarm (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-tc-1g-ice-interior-1647/scion-tc-alarm-71338/)

Remii 08-23-2006 06:30 PM

Scion tC Alarm

Hi you guys I was wondering if there is more than one type of alarm that the dealer installs for our tCs? Mine seems to be a piece of junk. It wont go off for the life of it. The manual that they included with the alarm seems pretty shady as well. What features are suppsoed to be included with our alarms?

SquallLHeart 08-23-2006 06:32 PM

some Toyota dealerships offer Karr or some other alarm systems besides Scion Security..

what did you get..?

Remii 08-23-2006 06:38 PM

I have no idea how do I check? I got the only one they offer it was $500. I just went to try to set it off again. I knocked on the panels, tried to open the doors, knocked on teh windows, kicked the rims it wont go off!. I even tried again with the windows down. Reached inside to see if the IR motion sensors work... they don't! The only way I was able to set it off was by having the alarm armed, windows down, and opening the door from reaching inside. :(

Remii 08-23-2006 06:39 PM

Oh yah my instrucitons manual for the alarm doesn't have any brand on it. It only says "Owners Manual: Keyless Entry Upgrade Security System"

cweckel2000 08-23-2006 07:03 PM

Hmm...well my parents have factory Toyota alarms and the only way to set them off is having the windows rolled down, doors locked, and then you reach in and unlock the door with your hand and open them. I dont think the type of alarms toyota offers will go off if you kick the car no matter waht spot or how hard.

Remii 08-23-2006 07:04 PM

Dang that's retarded. THere goes my $500 down the drain for some crap that wont ever serve its purpose

06CStC 08-23-2006 07:08 PM

Well, u can always leave your windows down 1 day and hide somewhere else to see if anyone opens it. :rofl:
________
Public auto insurance advice

Remii 08-23-2006 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by 06CStC
Well, u can always leave your windows down 1 day and hide somewhere else to see if anyone opens it. :rofl:

Haha... I guess that's one way to get some use out of it

Capital 08-23-2006 07:18 PM

Well it's not totally useless. It lowers your insurance.

Remii 08-23-2006 07:27 PM

Hehe that too. I only wished it really worked tho :( There's no way to increase sensitivity or anything?

SquallLHeart 08-23-2006 07:29 PM

sounds like you have Scion Security... there's no shock sensors.. so kicking the car or smashing it with your head won't do anything... but..
try this..

have your windows up... alarm armed.. (wait until the light blinks)

take your key... and tap the window hard. that should set off the alarm. there's a glass breakage sensor.. which is a mic.

1337_tC 08-23-2006 07:59 PM

Yea the scion security system, as far as what the dealer told me, only goes off when someone opens any of the doors illegally.

Remii 08-23-2006 08:07 PM

What a crappy alarm. Totally not worth $500 dammit

paul34 08-23-2006 08:18 PM

well most alarms are useless, the only "useful" feature I can see are those aftermarket systems that come with remote paging systems

and then there's this: http://www.cardefender.com/home

Don't ask me about it, I don't know anything about it, whether it works or doesn't etc, just showing you what's out there ;)

Capital 08-23-2006 08:26 PM

I think I've read somewhere that you can adjust the sensitivity. Where to adjust is either in the glovebox or behind it (have to remove glovebox).

There should be a module that has a little dial on it that adjusts with a tiny screwdriver.

Remii 08-23-2006 08:27 PM

Does anyone have a pic of what htis thing looks like? I've looked behind my glovebox and I don't see anything

SquallLHeart 08-23-2006 08:31 PM

uhhh.. you will have to remove the mount... you won't be able to reach the adjustment knob.

http://www.trdsparks.com/install/08586-21811inst.pdf
look around page 17.

setting it at 8 should be fine.

bBlover 08-23-2006 08:37 PM

it's actually a good thing it doesn't go off. a car could speed by and then it would go off due to the vibration. its just that the sensitivity isn't high. DON'T tap the window hard like squall said, do it moderately. I tried the window tap thing and it didn't work and I asked the dealer and they said that it's better if it doesn't go off.

Remii 08-23-2006 08:49 PM

Roflz thanks guys I'll give that a shot. I didn't tap my window I was scared I would do it too hard and end up with a shattered window

R2D2 08-23-2006 08:57 PM

^ I was washing my car one day and forgot I had the car armed, which lead to it going off when I sprayed the window.. U might wanna give that a try $0.02 ;)

bBlover 08-23-2006 08:58 PM

hahaha that's cool!!

7thgear 08-23-2006 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by R2D2
^ I was washing my car one day and forgot I had the car armed, which lead to it going off when I sprayed the window.. U might wanna give that a try $0.02 ;)

what??? i activate my alarm everytime i wash my car...... but how come it still doesn't go off. and i also have it on the HIGHEST sensitivity!

Remii 08-23-2006 09:03 PM

Our alarms blow

bBlover 08-23-2006 09:06 PM

^ not when someone is trying to steal it!

R2D2 08-23-2006 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by 7thgear

what??? i activate my alarm everytime i wash my car...... but how come it still doesn't go off. and i also have it on the HIGHEST sensitivity!

Spay the window bro (specifically the drivers side close to the mirror)...
& are you sure you have it on the HIGHEST sensitivity and not the LOWEST sensitivity (either was I wouldn't put it on either extreme)? :ponder:

:idea: I'd love to see the entire Toyota line (including Lexus & Scion) with the keyless entry/ignition like Lexus has (charge me the extra $50 on top of the sticker, IMO its well worth it) :idea:

7thgear 08-23-2006 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by 7thgear

Spay the window bro (specifically the drivers side close to the mirror)...
& are you sure you have it on the HIGHEST sensitivity and not the LOWEST sensitivity (either was I wouldn't put it on either extreme)? :ponder:

:idea: I'd love to see the entire Toyota line (including Lexus & Scion) with the keyless entry/ignition like Lexus has (charge me the extra $50 on top of the sticker, IMO its well worth it) :idea:

i did. i sprayed every angle of my car. and yes i do have it on the highest. it's 1-11. so i put it on 11. unless 1 is the highest....

SquallLHeart 08-23-2006 10:45 PM

no..... higher number.. more sensitive.

Spect2K3 08-23-2006 10:53 PM

Mine is on 10 and it is very sensative...tapping on the window lightly with a key will set it off. When my mom hit my car.......it went off, maybe it needs to be checked

Sirus 08-23-2006 11:08 PM

mine went off when i was leaning on the hood to clean the window of my car so I am assuming it does something :P

GEE4MAC 08-23-2006 11:08 PM

I know toyota likes to use Hornet alarms from DEI (Directed Electronics), the same maker of Viper, clifford, python, avital and valet. Toyota attaches this alarm module to their keyless entry system, which is why you use the same remote to operate the alarm system. Just look at the alarm module. It should have a piece of black rubber or plastic glued on to the logo of the module. I took mine off and it was a Hornet, could be another brand on other vehicles, cannot confirm that. BTW, there should be a shock sensor on the alarm systems, built in to the module. There should also be a tiny knob to adjust sensitivity.

Remii 08-23-2006 11:37 PM

Where is the alarm module?

7thgear 08-24-2006 12:53 AM

funny... i have mine set on 11 which is the highest and i'm standing there tapping on the windows, washing my car, pounding on it and NOTHING!!!

7thgear 08-24-2006 12:54 AM

i think mine's broken ahhahaha... and i know i turned it the right way. it's clockwise right?

MJVsTC 08-24-2006 02:18 AM

I threw a brick at my window, but the alarm didn't go off.

TcPrincess 08-24-2006 03:54 AM

just pounding ont the window might not do it. you have to get the frequency of glass shattering. when we install alarm we use the key to tap on the glass to test it out. try that but don't hit it too hard. as for the dealers using DEI alarms, some do and some don't . depends on where you go because each dealership has their own installer that does aftermarket alarms.

SquallLHeart 08-24-2006 04:04 AM

Originally Posted by TcPrincess
just pounding ont the window might not do it. you have to get the frequency of glass shattering. when we install alarm we use the key to tap on the glass to test it out. try that but don't hit it too hard.

yup.. that's why i said to use the key to tap the glass.

TcPrincess 08-24-2006 04:06 AM

sorry, i didn't see that.

SquallLHeart 08-24-2006 04:30 AM

oh no.. i didn't mean that you didn't see.. i meant for the original poster to try out tapping..

just that you actually explained why.. which is good :)

Remii 08-24-2006 04:33 AM

Hehe I will try it. It just sucks that that's the only way the alarm will go off. I'd like to be able to protect my car BEFORE the window is shattered.

SquallLHeart 08-24-2006 04:43 AM

ohh... happy b-day... getting drunk tongiht?