Notices
Scion tC 1G ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Seal Your OEM Subwoofer Box Perfectly for $6

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2006, 11:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Seal Your OEM Subwoofer Box Perfectly for $6

$5.something to be more specific.

Those of you that have the OEM subwoofer... if you haven't really noticed yet, the port for the single, low powered, 10" subwoofer is WAY too big. And I actually consider it unnecessary.

I would assume that Bazooka did some sort of research to design it, but honestly, it's just too much.

For a while, I just had a towel shoved into the port, but this wasn't really doing it. And I did notice enough of a difference from just the towel that I knew I had to actually seal it. The only place I could think to go was the local generic hardware/home store. I forget what it's called, but any Home Depot/Lowe's/etc should have something very similar.

Here's what I got:

I was actually pretty shocked that I found something so perfect for a fit and look. I went in and explined what I was looking for and they actually were able to help. I think it's just some sort of pipe plug. But as you turn the wingnut on there, the rubber expands and seals the port.

A quick spray with some black semi-gloss...

TA-DA!

For under $6 and a MUCH better sound from the OEM sub, I'm definitely happy.

But as always... Your mileage may vary!
Old 05-05-2006, 12:04 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

PERFECT!!!
Old 05-05-2006, 12:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

great mod!! so how much different does it down now??
Old 05-05-2006, 12:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It still doesn't hit as deep as a custom setup would.... but it's certainly much improved over the panzy setup they had. With it being sealed and turning the **** a bit more, it'll hit a little bit harder and I think is certainly worth the $6.

You'd have to hear it yourself to really judge though. I suppose it really could be my imagination.
Old 05-05-2006, 02:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

lol

no pun intended but i have to comment

with that now it sounds like a toilet j/k

dude thats genius tho, i thought u used fiberglass or mad bondo
Old 05-08-2006, 11:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Either it's your imagination or your box is all screwy cuz I tried the same thing from home depot and it gave it less bass. I listened to the same part of the same song without changing any settings or volume, both with it in and with it out. It's way better without it.

On a related subject, Does your sub make any sound whatsoever when you turn your car off? Like if you just turn your key to the on position, with the stereo off, then turn it off. Mine is making what I think is a not normal noise.
Check out this thread for details
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=118582
Old 05-09-2006, 01:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^ What do you have the gain set at? Mine is about 1/4 clockwise past the little "recommended" dot.

As for the noise, I don't hear anything from it. I don't think you should be able to hook it up wrong unless the ground is bad?
Old 05-09-2006, 10:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I decided to turn the gain down and see if that made a difference and it does. The sound is less noticable. I have the gain all the way up. For most music I turn the head units bass to +1 or +2 mostly rock music. I don't get enough bass at lower volumes if I turn the gain *** down, and even though I suspect that is what is causing the noise, I will leave the gain all the way up. I think it should be fine if I never turn the bass up too high on the head unit unless I'm listening at a low volume.

and how would I know if the ground is bad. and if it is how do I fix it. Or do I just take it to the dealer?
Old 05-09-2006, 10:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Didn't you say you took it out and reconnected it in the other thread? It's possible in moving the wires the ground may have come loose. I really don't know though. But if it was installed by the dealer and the noise has not always been there (and can be repeated), I would take it in and see what they say - but don't mention the part about you removing it. Just say it started doing that.
Old 05-09-2006, 11:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

how big is it? i know it comes in different sizes...
Old 05-10-2006, 12:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I think the black part is about 3" in diameter.
Old 05-10-2006, 12:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

How big is what? The sub or the port that is plugged.
The plug is a 3 inch plug but if you're talking about the sub it's a 10 and no it doesn't come in different sizes for the tC. 10 is the only choice.
The one in the xA/xB are different, ... not shure of the size.
Old 05-30-2006, 02:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

you are the man!!! I cant wait to hit up a home depot after work!!!! I am sad it took me this long to see this thread....i'll let you know what i think if i find this plug tonight!!!
Old 05-30-2006, 02:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ya, I don't guarantee fantastic results or anything... but I think it's a noticable improvement.

The rest of my settings though for comparison:
SSP Vehicle: xB
SSP Setting: Feel
Gain: about 1/4 clockwise past "recommended"
Bass: +3 or +4
Treble: +4
Old 05-30-2006, 04:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Interesting, I'll be stopping at Lowes on the way home as well.

And I'll adjust the gain, before this thread I didn't even think to search seeing if it did anything at all ^^

It's just a 3in plug?
Old 05-30-2006, 05:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ya, it's some special pipe or plumbing plug. The black part is about 3" in diameter (as is the port). But it fits in perfectly and becomes sealed/snug as you turn the wingnut.

The place I got it from was cool too. I explained what I wanted to do and he said that if it didn't do what I wanted, I could bring it back no problem... worst case, you might be out $5 or so.
Old 05-30-2006, 06:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You are just flattening the bass curve. It will definately reduce the bass but will let you increase the volume in a lot of cases. A port will sound good for some music but bad on others. I think that ports almost always sound worse unless properly tuned in a very good box. The Bazooka subs are always ported at a higher Hz to sound like they are loud. The higher the Hz the more punchy the bass, ie you hear it more than feel it. Its an easy and cheap way to make a car "sound" like it has alot of bass when it actually just has alot at one freq.
Old 05-30-2006, 07:16 PM
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

I have found that is the main problem with the TC sub. It drones a lot at lower and mid volumes. I would assume that is b/c of the port size... Great find Ack....I may have to reccommend this to some of our customers that have asked about the sound quality.
Old 05-30-2006, 07:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by nfiniti9
You are just flattening the bass curve. It will definately reduce the bass but will let you increase the volume in a lot of cases. A port will sound good for some music but bad on others. I think that ports almost always sound worse unless properly tuned in a very good box. The Bazooka subs are always ported at a higher Hz to sound like they are loud. The higher the Hz the more punchy the bass, ie you hear it more than feel it. Its an easy and cheap way to make a car "sound" like it has alot of bass when it actually just has alot at one freq.
If this thing had high Hz with the port and was supposed to be more punchy... I think it sucked. A lot. I much prefer the sound with it sealed, to ported. IMO, it sounded like there was less "punch" with the port open.
Old 05-30-2006, 08:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Did lowes/hd have different sized plugs?

I have a 2.25 inch port that i might have to seal when i put together my system.

Quick Reply: Seal Your OEM Subwoofer Box Perfectly for $6