Notices
Scion tC 1G ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

suede coming soon

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2009, 05:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default suede coming soon

I want to suede my interior a,b,c pillars and soon the headliner, just wondering what the difficulty of this project is, as long as i cut the right sizes and place the pieces of suede on patiently, it should be fairly easy, correct?

and most of the suede i see online is 60 inches wide, is that wide enough to do the headliner, i wouldnt want to have to connect two pieces
Old 08-05-2009, 12:50 PM
SL Member

yea you hsould be fine with having 60 inches wide! I had 54 inches and it was plenty!....make sure you use a strong adhesive that will not bleed through the fabric and make sure the suede is stretchy and take your time!
Old 08-05-2009, 01:43 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member

Trader
SL Member

and make sure you use REAL suede, not that $1 a foot crap.
it will just fade and turn purple (if your doing black)
Old 08-05-2009, 11:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Balliztik
SL Member

yes 60" wide is really waht you want.......the usual 54" wide stuff you find is hard to do the headliner with,it leaves you with like 1/4" on the sides to fold over and if you screw it up you area screwed.......

Also be sure to use good materialbe careful using upostery grade material.....it has nearly no stretch at all and is hard to get complex curves right......b ut be sure to get good quality materials,most cost at least $12+ a yard........

As for how hard.......the pillars are something anyone can do........headliner.......well it is harder,the hardest parts on it is at the visor and dome light,the headliner takes a dive for the visor spot then hard rise for the dome light ,then back down again for the other side,mose people end up cutting it there to kinda patch it in,I had to make a cut on one side under the visor to get my material to lay right.

If you are going to do the hatch panel,be prepared to take your time,it is a complex curved piece that rolls back into itself and is hard to get material to lay right,I had to do mine twice to get it to lay right........think I am the only one with it done too.

Be prepared to spend a lot on 3M90 and I think I purchased 7 yards material to do mine,I have a little left over for any unseen problems in the future.

Mine is more a espresso black/brown than a charcoal black,but it goes perfect with the Crimson car.
Old 08-08-2009, 01:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Heres the list from easiest to hardest when i did this

1. C pillars/ back (pretty easy straight forward pieces
2. B pillars (hastle to get off but pretty easy as well except for the little curves
3. A pillars (easy except for the front part where it dips and then it starts to curve so be careful
4. Headliner (that thing is the hardest thing everrrrr haha but just take your time)
Old 08-08-2009, 03:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Balliztik
SL Member

Do not forget to do the little C piece that is in the side rear windows,that is and easy one.

Also when you do the C pillars they tend not to go back in snuggly,be sure to trim the suede form the back side where it meets up to the headliner,not too much but enough to get a good fit,and if it sags down use some 2 minute epoxy on the meal bar behind it and stick it to that once it is ready to go back in,the airbags if you have them will not be effected and the piece will stay put much better,the sagging is normal in unsueded tCs even.