Notices
Scion tC 1G ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Trunk lid seal creates suction a I can’t open it – Solution?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2013, 04:59 AM

Default Trunk lid seal creates suction a I can’t open it – Solution?

Hello everyone, sorry if this has been posted before.

Sometimes when it’s cold outside the trunk rubber seal/trim creates a suction seal and I can’t open my trunk. I have to push the trunk door down and keep unlocking my car. So far it has worked OK, but the rubber trim has been coming off lately. My dealer wants to replace the rubber lid/trim and is asking $300. That’s insane. The trim itself is well kept, not dry, so I just need to find a way to glue it down. Ideas?

Name:  YfIGCcn.png
Views: 310
Size:  525.5 KB

I have a 2006 Scion tC.

Thanks
Old 11-06-2013, 05:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I had a similar problem with the seal sticking to the trunk door (but the seal/trim didn't come off like your car). I fixed it by applying some WD40 on the seal. I sprayed it on to a rag and wiped the seal with it. That stopped the seal/trim from sticking to the hatch.
Old 11-06-2013, 05:54 PM

Good tip. I don't think it needs to be glued down, but as you said lubricating it won't allow it to stick. Thanks
Old 11-08-2013, 12:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

This sounds like more of a latch issue. Do you have subwoofers or did the person before you have subwoofers at all? A lot of times, like I have done, people (smart people) will tighten the hatch/latch connection making the latch so the hatch is forced to pull down harder, allowing the hatch to refrain from rattling because that is where most of your rattle comes from, that latch/hatch connection. So with there being so much pressure, the hatch doesn't want to pop up so you have to relieve the pressure by pushing down as you say to take the tension off the hatch/latch allowing it to open. But just opening it won't work because the amount of pressure. The only reason I'm saying this is because you say that you "push down" which is exactly what would cause this. Also, this would cause this since your seal is popping off. It's being pinched causing so much suction that when the hatch comes up, it's drawn to coming with it. Otherwise, you said it happens when it's cold. Well moisture turns into ice and moisture loves to sit in those seals, hence why the seals are even there, and in turn the moisture turns into ice causing the hatch to be frozen to the seal. But like HKSpeed said, WD-40 clears that up and doesn't allow the moisture to turn into ice and be pesty. Don't spend any money on that seal. Get the OEM seal and adhesive, which can't cost that much, and do it yourself.
Old 11-08-2013, 06:15 PM

I don't have subwoofers. Agreed, I'll lube the trim and do that do the trick. I won't be using WD-40 though, I heard it's petroleum based and eventually the rubber and dry and crack. I'm going with a silicone based lubricant instead.

Thanks for the tip, criminaltc.
Old 11-08-2013, 07:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Cool, let us know how it goes and what you find.
Old 12-21-2013, 04:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

late bump to this thread. try some silicone spray. as the rubber gets older it dries out and can stick to things, especially in the cold. Lubricate it and it will not stick.

just read your last post and you were going to try silicone as any petroleum based spray would degrade/eat away the rubber. sounds like you're on the right track now! good!
Old 01-19-2014, 07:23 PM
5 Year Member

My friend was having a similar problem in her Ford Escape and my first thought was to apply some motor oil to the seals to keep them from sticking together. If the seal is coming up, I would think about putting some black silicone window/door caulk under it. I had to do this to my old BMW when the trunk seal wasn't sealing correctly.
Old 01-21-2014, 03:13 AM
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed

I had taken my vehicle to toyota a while back for an unrelated issue but I mentioned to them that my trunk had also been sticking. He literally looked at me and said "put PAM on it" (the non stick stuff you cook with..) I did that and it hasn't stuck since.
Old 04-11-2014, 11:44 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hit the gym hard as a mother then come back with a pump and lift it. Problem solved guaranteed!