Notices
Scion tC 1G ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Unexpectedly expensive new stereo

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2006, 12:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Unexpectedly expensive new stereo

So I went to get a new stereo for my tC. I wasn't planning on spending more than like 600-700 dollars... I spent like 1800. I kinda feel like a sucker. What do you guys think about the equipment I got?

Pioneer DEHP3800MP

Alpine speakers (SPS171A & SPS17C2),
sub (SWS1022D),
amp (MRVF450),

dynamat extreme,
Monster wires and speaker kit thingies,
pxp01 & cdrb10,

Installation was a serious dent in my budget. It was over a third of the cost. The speakers I tested in the sound booth at the store and they did sound fantastic. Sadly, now I don't even have money left to get the damn ipod I wanted this for to begin with.
Old 03-16-2006, 01:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

that suck ive already got mine priced for 2 memphis 10 M3 + amp + mids + new clarion deck + sound deading material, but installing all myself for around 1100.
Old 03-16-2006, 02:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

dont worry though my first system i got was well over 2000, damn that installation, all i have to say to new people buying a system is shop around and do your research it will greatly pay off in the end, dont take peoples word for it go listen to it yourself, and be patient, if you rush into it you might not be happy with the end result
Old 03-16-2006, 02:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well I pretty much did shop around. I checked out the receipt and looked at the prices on line at various places and 95% of the stuff the guy gave me at a decent discount. I did a quick estimate and he saved me over $200 on parts. Sadly the installation cost so much. But if I did it myself it would be pretty much the same price as what you got. Kinda wish I knew more about doing car installations. If it was a home stereo I would have been fine. Prolly would have had fun with it too...
Old 03-16-2006, 06:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Sounds like you went to Best Buy!! Your car should sound pretty nice tho!

Dynamat is always a good idea, makes a huge difference. Which BBY did you got to?
Old 03-16-2006, 11:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I went to abt electronics. Its kind of a local electronics/appliance superstore. My family goes there for pretty much any big tech purchase. They always cut us a good deal in the past.
Old 03-16-2006, 04:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

oh yeah abt. Thats a crazy place. Im working my way up the installer totem pole and plan to be there in a year.
Old 03-16-2006, 04:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

that is not bad.........stereos are really easy to install, in fact crutchfield has step by step instructions. Learning how to install equipment saves alot of money, money that can be spent on more stuff.
but that is some decent equipment for the money. I am not a big alpine fan, im more into zapco, arc audio focal, etc..........
Old 03-16-2006, 04:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah, i'm usually ok at putting in bolt on type stuff and if I was just getting the deck and not the speakers and dynamat and stuff I would have put it in myself. I put in my CAI and my strutbar myself. Not real intensive things, but i'm sure if I had someone else do it they woulda charged me a ridiculous amount for installation. Sadly, I can't paint and adjust a bodykit myself either... or do the gaugelight change by myself... too afraid i'll break my baby.
Old 03-16-2006, 04:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

If your happy then that is all that matters. A good place to get car stereo online is onlinecarstereo.com. You don't pay taxes and shipping is free. All this equipment costs about $840.95 from them. Learn how to install your self. You save money and it becomes really fun untill you have to cut and crimp 4 gauge wire. You get metal wire strands every where.
Old 03-16-2006, 04:46 PM
5 Year Member

hey, i know exactly how you feel. i spent twice as much on my system than i expected, but in the end it pays off. people will get in my car, and they are just blown away. it was definitely worth it. btw, when you get the iPod do not use an fm transmitter. you paid all that money for a nice system, be sure to directly connect the iPod to the headunit for the best quality
Old 03-16-2006, 04:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Kilo6_one
that is not bad.........stereos are really easy to install, in fact crutchfield has step by step instructions. Learning how to install equipment saves alot of money, money that can be spent on more stuff.
but that is some decent equipment for the money. I am not a big alpine fan, im more into zapco, arc audio focal, etc..........
after spending many days sweating my ___ off installing stereos in cars i would never say putting in stereos is easy. its not difficult but there are always going to be tricky problems to solve when putting in a fully amplified system. mounting speakers can be tricky, running the power wire through the firewall can be a SERIOUS _____ on some european cars. the tC wasnt bad but it was fun either. 90% of people that dont have experience will screw something up installing a stereo. whether it be a car panel or a component it almost always happens. it takes time a patience to learn how to properly install a full stereo. now a stupid head unit is different, thats easy.

rofl cant use the female dog word eh? whats this world coming to :p
Old 03-16-2006, 05:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by the_Contemporary
hey, i know exactly how you feel. i spent twice as much on my system than i expected, but in the end it pays off. people will get in my car, and they are just blown away. it was definitely worth it. btw, when you get the iPod do not use an fm transmitter. you paid all that money for a nice system, be sure to directly connect the iPod to the headunit for the best quality
oh absolutely. Pretty much the main reason I got the new stereo is to make the new deck sound good. And I got the new deck to play the ipod in the car. I got the PXP01 and CDRB10 to hook it up. The Pioneer interface for controlling the ipod was too damn expensive and I hear people complaining about it all over the place.
Old 03-16-2006, 08:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Old 03-16-2006, 09:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

what would you like pics of?
Old 03-16-2006, 10:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by nfiniti9
Originally Posted by Kilo6_one
after spending many days sweating my butt off installing stereos in cars i would never say putting in stereos is easy. its not difficult but there are always going to be tricky problems to solve when putting in a fully amplified system. mounting speakers can be tricky, running the power wire through the firewall can be a SERIOUS biscuit on some european cars. the tC wasnt bad but it was fun either. 90% of people that dont have experience will screw something up installing a stereo. whether it be a car panel or a component it almost always happens. it takes time a patience to learn how to properly install a full stereo. now a stupid head unit is different, thats easy.

trust me, i have been there, I installed stereos for a local shop for 2 years, and doing garage installs for 10......you see everything, and I mean everything. people want 15" subs in areas that prhysically cannot put subs.....or they spend more money then the car is worth.
Its easy if you have the right tools, and have patience.......the worst stereo I did was an NSX.
but I also think there is something to be said for paying someone to have the headeaches.

rofl cant use the female dog word eh? whats this world coming to :p
Old 03-17-2006, 11:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Skeorx13
your whole setup!!
Old 03-17-2006, 06:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by SCI_TC_GUY
Originally Posted by Skeorx13
your whole setup!!
uhhh, sure... when it's actually installed. I paid for it, but I get it installed next weekend.
Old 03-17-2006, 06:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^ oh my bad dog.... haha.... guess I missed that part
Old 03-27-2006, 10:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Just got my baby back from the store on my lunch break. I'll get some photos tonight when I get back home. The system sounds sweeeet. Mounted the amp under the passenger seat, and put a quick release on the sub box so I can still have a functioning hatch. The installer was a cool guy too. Very knowledgable and made sure to ask me before he did any modifications. Sadly, the ipod adapters were on backorder, so now I just gotta wait for those to come in. He hooked it up to a headphone jack though, so I can still use an ipod on it, just not recharge it yet.

Quick Reply: Unexpectedly expensive new stereo