Notices
Scion tC 1G ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

URGENT: Need help with HU install!

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2006, 08:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Club One
SL Member

Default URGENT: Need help with HU install!

Background:
This is my first install. Installing a HU seemed pretty easy so I went for it. I went to my local car audio shop and bought a mounting kit. It's labeled for the xA and xB but they said it'ld work. I took my HU out, mounted it to the kit...and for the life of me could not figure out how i was possibly going to mount it. So. I pulled up this guide from clubsciontc, got out my drill and some titanium drill bits, and started drilling.

Problem:
I finished drilling last night, this morning I went to my car...mounted the HU with ease. But now I can't get my center console on. The top tabs line up fine, but the middle is about a mm off and the bottom tabs are 1-2 mm off.

This is quite frustrating...if anyone has any ideas other than to drill the holes out a little lower...please let me know. I also noticed that crutchfield has a mounting kit for the tC...is it actually made for the tC or is it a generic Scion kit? If you happened to use the xA xB kit...I'ld be interested to know how you got it to work out.

Thanks in advance
Old 06-09-2006, 08:28 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Where are you located in Texas? If you're in the Dallas area I can help.
Old 06-09-2006, 08:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Club One
SL Member

I'm in Austin. I do make regular visits to Ft. Worth as well but that doesn't really help atm...
Old 06-10-2006, 07:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Club One
SL Member

____. I drilled down about a mm and I'm still having the same ____ing problem. To top it off I managed to scratch my center console and so now I'm just ____ed at myself.

This shouldn't be so difficult. Why won't the center console go on? It goes on so easily without the hu there...but with it...I just can't seem to get the tabs to line up. Anyone have any idea(s)?
Old 06-10-2006, 09:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

when i put my adapter on i had to work it a little to get the console back on. the angle i had to use was just different instead of angling it from the top at first you kinda have to angle it to where its at the same angle the base is at l\ before now \\ if you can understand what i mean. and make sure the door to the stereo is closed as a matter of fact you can take it off and see if that helps you see where the alignment issue is.
Old 06-11-2006, 05:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Club One
SL Member

Well I went back to Custom Sounds and told them about my problem...turns out the kit they gave me was gimped. It simply didn't have the right brackets for a tC! Makes sense why I could not get it to work at all. The let me exchange the gimped kit for a new kit and I installed it in less than 20 minutes.

Now...most people would just be happy to be done. But my luck isn't that great. On my Eclipse CD-8445, two of the green LEDs just don't work. It matters to me because my car is blue and amber...but you can't get amber without green apparently...and so blue and amber setting is fine except for the two dead green leds yields a red backlight instead of an amber. Hopefully Custom Sounds will help me...or Eclipse perhaps...bah

At any rate, thanks for the suggestions
Old 06-11-2006, 07:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

damn when it rains it poors, sorry to here it hope your luck turns around.