Notices
Scion tC 1G ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Viper 5900 (Question)

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2009, 06:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
teamNJCT
SL Member

They are coming out with the 5302, 5702 and 5902 but there is no release date yet.
Old 04-28-2009, 06:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Hi theres a lot of valuable information here. I have a viper 5900 with sst ready to be installed into a 5spd. On average how much do you guys charge for the install? With all this talk about the downside, should i ebay it and buy a better product?
Old 04-28-2009, 06:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fresh Crew
SL Member

Clutch will have to be bypassed, doesn't take long but requires a relay and manual transmission mode, I don't use MTM but most other shops due to liability will have you do it....just remember not to park it in gear and try to start it.....TRAGEDY.

The amount for install ranges but it can take anywhere from 2 to 4 hours.

IMHO there is nothing better than DEI and that's what you have.....you will be happy.

The downsides most typical users will never know or recognize, they are usually installer gripes as i've noted in a few posts.
Old 04-29-2009, 03:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
teamNJCT
SL Member

ecko did you figure out that problem with the voltage sensing tach?
Old 04-29-2009, 03:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fresh Crew
SL Member

Originally Posted by mattieg
ecko did you figure out that problem with the voltage sensing tach?
I didn't turn engine checking off to see if that works.

I did try the virtual tach thing again, reset it and everything, noticed that sometimes it works but the majority of the time it doesn't. It just doesn't know the car actually started so i'll try turning engine checking off and trying that.....this weekend.
Old 04-30-2009, 01:24 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I miss talks of this, been out of the rs/alarm install game for a few, but really have been lookin at some of these new systems. The clutch isn't that hard to bypass, but not something you'd wanna do unless you know what you are doing. So with this build in Shock Sensor, is there any way to use an external one? I have a bunch of them lying around from when CC switched to Code Alarm and those were the only sensors we could get to detect properly on the CA systems.
Old 04-30-2009, 01:27 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

And I enlisted before I had a chance to use the PK systems, but reading through the wiring diagram and seeing how they wanted you to connect to the ECU (I think it's been a few) that sounded a little iffy especially if the PK failed and managed to spike the voltage goin to the ECU, that could be a bad day for the driver....
Old 04-30-2009, 01:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

is it possible to have remote start on a manual trans?
Old 04-30-2009, 01:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

yes, but if you dont do it right or not paying attention, your car could drive off without you.
Old 04-30-2009, 01:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fresh Crew
SL Member

Originally Posted by GaalpwrdTc
And I enlisted before I had a chance to use the PK systems, but reading through the wiring diagram and seeing how they wanted you to connect to the ECU (I think it's been a few) that sounded a little iffy especially if the PK failed and managed to spike the voltage goin to the ECU, that could be a bad day for the driver....
Voltage spike would never occur, the PK unit itself is only capable of a limited amount of current that is regulated. The PK unit would fry if a 'voltage spike' occurred thus breaking the circuit and would never make it to the ECU.
Old 04-30-2009, 01:54 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

True, like I said I've been out of this for a little bit, miss it like hell though, I put a 560XV on my car, and I like it, but thinkin I might have to upgrade a little once I get to Germany.....
Old 04-30-2009, 01:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fresh Crew
SL Member

I miss talks of this, been out of the rs/alarm install game for a few, but really have been lookin at some of these new systems. The clutch isn't that hard to bypass, but not something you'd wanna do unless you know what you are doing. So with this build in Shock Sensor, is there any way to use an external one? I have a bunch of them lying around from when CC switched to Code Alarm and those were the only sensors we could get to detect properly on the CA systems.
It has an output for an external shock sensor, it but be a DEI shock sensor so the CA shock sensors would not work.

Originally Posted by kmx22
is it possible to have remote start on a manual trans?
The clutch isn't that hard to bypass, but not something you'd wanna do unless you know what you are doing.
Bypassing the clutch requires a relay and 4 wires, not hard by a long shot. You car will not drive off by itself as long as it is in neutral. If you have it in gear and try to start it the car will jump and the system itself is programmed to try to start the car 2 additional times if the first one fails. You always want to test the clutch bypass with the car in neutral first and it should start then with it in gear but make sure NOTHING is at least 15 feet in front or behind you, depending on your reaction time.

So imagine you're at the mall and leave your car in 1st on a hot day. You try to remote start your car from inside the mall to cool it off and when you get outside you realize you just smashed 3 times into a BMW 5 series. Moral of the story, if you are going to bypass the clutch remember to always park your car in neutral with the parking brake up.......ALWAYS. If you are not going to do this then you need to enable manual transmission mode on the system which means you have to go through a series of steps before getting out the car if you want to remote start it the next time.
Old 04-30-2009, 02:02 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

You're right, should've put that disclaimer up, and also add if you take the car into the dealer be sure to turn it off and ensure the tech working on your car knows it has a r/s I know a guy who had a 350 get run into a wall 3 times because his gf didn't tell the tech, and he was responsible for the damage to his car and the wall.....
Old 04-30-2009, 02:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fresh Crew
SL Member

LOL I never tell them anything. If I take in my car for anything it does not require them to mess with the remote start on the car. The system will never engage if the button is not pressed. So by them wanting to know what those buttons are on the side of the remote is asking for trouble. The only buttons they need are the lock and unlock and those are big as day on the front of the remote.

Not to mention there is a sticker that comes with the system that goes under the hood that states this vehicle is equipped with a DEI remote start system, etc.
Old 05-04-2009, 03:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by mattieg
They are coming out with the 5302, 5702 and 5902 but there is no release date yet.
i was thinking of buying a Viper 5901, but know that i hear this ^^ , dont know if i should wait.

or do you guys reccomend something else?
Old 05-04-2009, 04:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
teamNJCT
SL Member

Well its up to you, I dont know of a release date yet. And I the company doesn't know either. Sometimes mine will lose its two way feature and the speaker on the remote wont work but who cares. I will just get another one.
Old 05-07-2009, 03:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fresh Crew
SL Member

Matt do you know the part/model number for the primary harness that comes with the DEI remote start/alarm systems? I can't recall it, i'm talking about the primary harness that has the parking light wire, door pin wire, etc. in it, not the remote start harness.
Old 05-07-2009, 03:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
teamNJCT
SL Member

They call it an H1 harness. But they changed the pin location from the days of the viper 160 to now.
Old 05-07-2009, 03:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
teamNJCT
SL Member

If you can get me the model number from the remote start I could probably give them a call.
Old 05-07-2009, 11:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fresh Crew
SL Member

Its for the Python 991 or 990, those I know are the same.