Notices
Scion tC 1G ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Whats a good sub?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2007, 01:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by tC_skier
im not tryin to be mean....but if you ever get the chance...you should order somethin and try it out to your own specs....if you still dont like how it sounds then bash all you want man, you got the right.

and i do agree, that was a shameless plug, those things suck.
And no.....they don't suck......there a decent good sounding sub for the price.
Old 01-15-2007, 01:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

a good sub is one that is made with high quality materials, components, features and manufacturing, for a reasonable price. you don't need to spend $500+ on a sub (aka. JL) to get a good sub.

RF, audiobahn, alpine, eclipse, kicker, and most of the major brand name subs will be fine.
Old 01-15-2007, 01:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Originally Posted by kevbow
im not tryin to be mean....but if you ever get the chance...you should order somethin and try it out to your own specs....if you still dont like how it sounds then bash all you want man, you got the right.

And no.....they don't suck......there a decent good sounding sub for the price.
no dude, it doesnt matter what price you pay for them, they suck. put it up for sale in classifieds if you want, rave about it there, but keep it outta this thread. notice the title "whats a GOOD sub?" id say your lil type-e's dont belong here. find a new home.
Old 01-15-2007, 01:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Originally Posted by 1SXETC
a good sub is one that is made with high quality materials, components, features and manufacturing, for a reasonable price. you don't need to spend $500+ on a sub (aka. JL) to get a good sub.

RF, audiobahn, alpine, eclipse, kicker, and most of the major brand name subs will be fine.
congrats, a plug for eD!
Old 01-15-2007, 01:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i've found that midwestern guys seem to be real big on ED (and SL guys of course but other than those 2 demographics, i really don't see them enough to put them in the same category as more established, reputable, proven brands.
Old 01-15-2007, 01:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

then they obviously have never listened to a well tuned eD system. If i see you guys at any shows come to my car and then you can hear what eD sounds like. or go to any car that has a well tuned system and a well built box and then you can bash.

And don't bash eD like you said i can't bash any other company. And i haven't. JL and others are great speaker companies but for the money i'll stick with eD. I'm sorry but i can't justify spending the amount of money on one sub that i spent on my whole system. And my system is probably louder than a w7 and sounds much better i'm sure.
Old 01-15-2007, 01:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by nebster
then they obviously have never listened to a well tuned eD system. If i see you guys at any shows come to my car and then you can hear what eD sounds like. or go to any car that has a well tuned system and a well built box and then you can bash.

And don't bash eD like you said i can't bash any other company. And i haven't. JL and others are great speaker companies but for the money i'll stick with eD. I'm sorry but i can't justify spending the amount of money on one sub that i spent on my whole system. And my system is probably louder than a w7 and sounds much better i'm sure.
haha, actually you're right. i've NEVER heard or SEEN an ED system at ANY show i've EVER been to in philly or surrounding areas. the only reason i've even heard of them is because of SL. So my opinion that its not a bad brand is based merely on the feedback i've heard from SL members who have them. I would just think that if it was such great equipment, that someone around southeastern pa would have them.

i hope you weren't referring to me. WHO did i bash?????

in the end, most audio products (Save for hi end stuff) is just a matter of personal preference/bias. I've always been a fan of audiobahn for the same reason you like ED, good quality for good price.

As far as any real differences between brand name quality audio components in comparable price ranges, there really is not much. The manufacturers make it this way. Because once someone designs a higher quality product, it skyrockets in price and puts it in a different category than the more basic product models.

Ie. If you had two identically matched/tuned tcs, one with a full ED system, and one with a full audiobahn system....YOU would say the ED system sounds better. I would say the audiobahn sounds better. As for everyone else, it would probably be split 50/50 between the two. Unless you a a true audiophile/freak there isn't much difference between the sound quality of comparable costs of reputable brands.

i'm glad you like your ED. I just HATE how everyone on SL acts like ED is the BE ALL AND END ALL OF CAR AUDIO. cuz it is surely not. its a nice brand, just like alpine, audiobahn, pioneer, eclipse, infinity, etc... Not some SuperBrand that has still managed to fly below the radar while producing the best audio products on the market. No. sorry.
Old 01-15-2007, 01:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i agree its not the best by far. But i would say its the best bang for your buck. Not many people including me being a college kid have 8 grand to spend on a system. Under a budget i will suggest eD every day. Great guys, great products and great support. Now if you had more money than god i would say go with JL or cdt or dls. But not many people have 1500 on a set of components. If you want good sound for a good price go eD if you want the BEST SOUND IN THE WORLD go dls or cdt. But like i stated before not everyone can afford 1500 for a set of comps.

I never said you were bashing i'm saying there is a lot of hostility in this thread.

The reason the guys in the midwest like them is becase we can go see them, we see them at shows and we know them personally. Thus that is why we like them. /rant.
Old 01-15-2007, 02:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Strictly Scionized
SL Member

quit ya bickering read here:
http://forum.realmofexcursion.com/forumdisplay.php?f=54

Independent testing, you read up and judge.
Old 01-15-2007, 02:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

So... completely looking over everybody's elitist crap, have you, the original poster, wondered as to why you're tearing subs? How are you setting the gain?
Old 01-15-2007, 02:36 AM
5 Year Member

i actually just installed two 12" mtx thunder 4500 and it beats really nice...hooked it up to a aftermarket pioneer HU and it works just fine for me..i got mine from crutchfield, Buy one Get 1 $100 cant complain
Old 01-15-2007, 02:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

I havent bashed anything and I just said I dont personally see why people are all about them... Lets not turn this into a ____ing contest and just _____ about eveything and I am a college student as well so I dont have 8k to dump either, but i would rather dump 8k piece by piece than buy something that is half as good as what i want
Old 01-15-2007, 03:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

everyone wants to be able to say their systems is the best. in reality, does it really matter. all that matters is you have a nice sounding system. as long as you don't get a crappy brand like pyle, visonik, etc... you'll be fine.

MTX subs/amps are nice too. Very underrated. rite on par with audiobahn and alpine.
Old 01-15-2007, 03:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Strictly Scionized
SL Member

well audiobahn sucks ___, MTX unless its the 9500 series then its good, Alpine cant say much since i only have experience with the type r models and they did suck also.
Old 01-15-2007, 03:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

haha. ED sucks butt too then. and mtx and alpine. and just maybe YOU do as well.
Old 01-15-2007, 04:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

I hate Audiobahn and I really like the alpine amps and head units, and my type R used to BUMP with my Memphis Amp hooked to it... My personal favorite sub would be JL 10w6's, thats why i have two lol... I am looking for a new sub amp tho and showing that I am open to new companies and brands I am researching the ED Nine.2x or something like that but i will be comparing it to all the other amps i am considering and we will c what happens, if i dont like it i will just have to take the hit and resell it
Old 01-15-2007, 05:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

http://www.caraudiocentral.net/forum...read.php?t=139

ED Nine.2x
Efficiency - 67%
Subsonic Filter - NA
Signal to Noise Ratio - 95db
300x2 600x1
Guesstimation Power?

$265

Kicker SX600.2
Efficiency - 89%
Subsonic - 5 ranges from 6-36 DB
SN Ratio - 100db
300x2
600x1
CEA-2006 COMPLIANT
$322

http://www.hookedontronics.com/show_...ker_04+SX600.2

which one would you choose? My choice is crystal clear, even for the $60 the Kicker is MUCH better than the ED
Old 01-15-2007, 05:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

but we get it for 225 bc we have a forum discount. so no i don't justify spending an extra 100 bucks for maybe a slightly better amp.
Old 01-15-2007, 05:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

haha lol...once again personal preference...but uh...lets get some things straight....the price of a nine.2x is $225...unless you dont know how to shop (READ: forum discounts for all SL members and anyone who has the intelligence to type in "forum" in the search page on eD's site)....secondly...all of eD's ratings are at 12.5v, not 14.4 like kicker. when BENCHTESTED at 14.4v...just like the kicker's tested....eD's puts out around 340-350x2.

its personal preference. i prefer eD...DEAL WITH IT.

lastly...did i forget to mention no warranty on that kicker from hookedontronics?

THREE year warranty on eD's...

so if you wanna compare, then compare them on equal terms.

lowest price for an authorized dealer's sx600.2 appears to be cardomain's at $470. that earns you a 2 year warranty and a guarantee that its a brand new product, not a refurb.

so....a worse warranty and a $245 price difference? still wanna buy that kicker? feel free..thats your money...and thats why ive got a 9.2x in my car and not that kicker.

btw...what are the dimensions on that kicker? my nine.2x is nice and small...just a convenience thing i guess.
Old 01-15-2007, 05:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

sry neb...didnt see you had already posted...but point established...uh mods? i think this thread's ruined...

Quick Reply: Whats a good sub?