Notices
Scion tC 1G ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Whats a good sub part 2......

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2007, 07:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Default Whats a good sub part 2......

For some reason the first thread was closed.......mabey because it turned into an advertisement for eD....or it turned into a bashing on subs other than eD ......which I might add I've never seen in anyones car....anywhere.....but won't knock them cuz I haven't heard them yet.....I personally have had good experiences with my Alpine's e-series and my now punch P1's......for some reason some people on here feel like you either have to spend lots of money on a sub or have an eD sub in order to get good sound.....which in my opinion is rediculous.....I would like to hear from other people as to which sub/amp combo they have used other than eD that they feel they got great sound out of without spending loads of money on. I know through years of owning various systems in many cars they you can get a great sounding system without having to spend thousands on it. And please.....lets keep this a friendly discussion....no need for bashing.
Old 01-15-2007, 01:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

this should be locked as well. theres no need for this thread.
Old 01-15-2007, 01:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

I had good luck with Power Acoustik. The system I had in my car last show season was all PA and their **** subs are badass, weighing in at 35lbs, they will definitely pack a punch......lol. And they are cheap.
Old 01-15-2007, 02:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by nebster
this should be locked as well. theres no need for this thread.
I feel there is a need for this thread......it's a thread where people can tell us what kind of sub/amp setups they use or have used......that gave them a good sounding system without having to spend lots of money. I think people would like to know so they could get an idea of what setup's work good and sound good if they happen to be in the market of buying a sub/amp. So they know you don't have to spend thousands of dollars to achieve a good sounding system.
Old 01-15-2007, 02:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well from what i gathered from the other thread you have to spend 1000's to get a good sounding setup. You try and give your opinion here and everyone bashes you for having brand loyalty. I'm sorry but i try to say eD is good bc i believe in them and i think they're a great company but people bash me for it.

I don't bash you for liking JL or your alipne type E's but when i talk about eD it seems as though we need to flame. IMHO my opinion doesn't matter here so i'm not gonna put it out. DO WHAT YOU WANT. Because people here have been very rude.
Old 01-15-2007, 02:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

back on topic ... my rockford punch and kenwood 300w amp pretty much suck ... but that could be because I found the sub on the side of the street ... literally ... found it laying on the side of the street. On the other hand, best gosh darned free sub I've ever had.
Old 01-15-2007, 02:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

well from what i gathered from the other thread you have to spend 1000's to get a good sounding setup. You try and give your opinion here and everyone bashes you for having brand loyalty. I'm sorry but i try to say eD is good bc i believe in them and i think they're a great company but people bash me for it.

I don't bash you for liking JL or your alipne type E's but when i talk about eD it seems as though we need to flame. IMHO my opinion doesn't matter here so i'm not gonna put it out. DO WHAT YOU WANT. Because people here have been very rude.
Just for the record...I never bashed eD.....I've never seen nor heard of them....what it comes down to my friend is all subs sound different.....if you love the sound of your eD's...thats great.....If I love the sound of my P1's.....thats great........someone on here said they love the sound of their power acoustik's...thats great....it's all personal preference.......and the sound your trying to achieve.....and there's no bashing going on here bro.....the last thread where people were just coming out and flat out saying a certain brand sucks....now thats bashing......none of that goin on here my friend.
Old 01-15-2007, 03:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by azepolyn
back on topic ... my rockford punch and kenwood 300w amp pretty much suck ... but that could be because I found the sub on the side of the street ... literally ... found it laying on the side of the street. On the other hand, best gosh darned free sub I've ever had.
When I lived in florida years ago I bought a Lanzar 1000w amp off this homeless guy at the beach for 50 bucks.....best $50.00 amp I ever owned.
Old 01-15-2007, 03:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by kevbow

Just for the record...I never bashed eD.....I've never seen nor heard of them....what it comes down to my friend is all subs sound different.....if you love the sound of your eD's...thats great.....If I love the sound of my P1's.....thats great........someone on here said they love the sound of their power acoustik's...thats great....it's all personal preference.......and the sound your trying to achieve.....and there's no bashing going on here bro.....the last thread where people were just coming out and flat out saying a certain brand sucks....now thats bashing......none of that goin on here my friend.
never said it was i'm saying the last thread was. for me to say yeah eD is awesome and people to say no its not you suck for being brand loyal is BULLSH*T. i'm sorry but thats what happened last thread.
Old 01-15-2007, 03:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

But thats not this thread, time to move on GUB.........lol
Old 01-15-2007, 04:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by kevbow
Originally Posted by azepolyn
When I lived in florida years ago I bought a Lanzar 1000w amp off this homeless guy at the beach for 50 bucks.....best $50.00 amp I ever owned.
should pair up my curbside sub with your homeless amp, see if its a good combination. We might start a trend of people searching through trash cans for their car audio
Old 01-15-2007, 04:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well... I've got to say some of the best sounding subs I've ever owned were my Eu-700's from eD.... I personally liked them better than my JL 12w3's I had - they played just as low and sounded better throughout the whole frequency range when compared to the w3's..... obviously the w3's were louder but what do you expect when you go from 2 12's to 2 6.5's???
Old 01-16-2007, 01:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i just switched from an Alpine Type-R to a Treo SSi. and man what a difference, the Treo is insane compared to the alpine. Treo doesn't seem to be well known but their subs actually set the record of 177db's. the Treo has a lot more excursion than the alpine, sounds louder, hits harder and clearer as well. i'm only putting 300 watts to it, i can't wait to put the 750 they want on it.
Old 01-16-2007, 02:51 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have ran several subwoofers in my car.

10" Powered Bazooka (Sounds decent, cheap, comes with amp)

12" Kicker L5 w/Kicker ported box (Sounds good, gets loud) @ 400 watts

12" Soundsplinter RL-P w/ 1.75cbft @ 32hz (Sounded better then the kicker, gets loud also, did a direct swap into a friends car who had an L7 in ported box RL-P was louder) @ 400 watts it sounded good w/800 it sounded great
1.2 cbft sealed (Sounded cleaner, but not quite as loud was kind of disappointed)
http://www.soundsplinter.com/rlp12_p...formation.html

12" Stereo Integrity MAG 1.2 cbft Sealed (Current setup, Sounds great, haven't broken in yet so haven't got the chance to crank it up but now and then I turn it up sounds like it has a lot of potential) @ 800 watts
http://www.stereointegrity.com/Magnum12.html

Sound (MAG, RL-P, L5, Bazooka)
Loudness (RL-P, L5, Bazooka) Havent tried the Mag ported so cant rank it.
Not backed by any tests just my opinion.
Old 01-16-2007, 12:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Audio quality depends of the quality of the listener. For me, I try to be an audiophile and performance and cost also play a big part. For example, my current system consists of audiobahn 6.5" components in the front, no 65." rears and a custom box for 2 10" and 6x9" on the top of the box. Granted, it's not the best system in the world for bump, but i get all the clarity that I require. But now, since I have turbo, I need something with less weight but still have my full range. I recently worked for circuit city and obtained accommodation pricing on a kicker 700.5 amp and a S8L7-2 sub. And I will put some 6.5" speakers (probably eclipse or the kicker SS) in the rear instead of the 6x9s. Big weight difference dropping down to one main amp to run the whole system and a small sub to take some strain off the 6.5" speakers for low freqs.