Notices
Scion tC 1G ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Will 8" MB's fit in the tC without modification?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2008, 03:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Will 8" MB's fit in the tC without modification?

I'm in the middle of a lot of decision making... whether I want to get a new sub, new mids, new tweets (possibly horns), new amp, etc...

One of my considerations is upgrading to an 8" Midbass in my doors. I was thinking Dyn MW172's (pricey) or Dayton RS225's (budget). However, before even contemplating the possibilities, I wanted to see if anyone else had any input on it. I've seen the thread from another member fitting 8's, but his pics are down and he makes no mention of the install.

I must also consider that I'll be sticking with a 2-way front so I need tweets/horns that can play down to about 1000-1500Hz to pick up from the 8's.

Thanks for any help!
Old 08-07-2008, 04:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Strictly Scionized
SL Member

8s should fit... i have the rs180 which is 7". The guy at 12volts in Parkville is trying to get me to get the dynaudio MW190 which is the 10" version. He thinks that it would fit in the tC since he did an install for his wife which she has a tC also. He tempt me with a very good price for the midbass also! LOL But then I would need to probably get horns again, which I don't want to do.

I'm actually contempt with my setup right now, Dayton RS180s and RS28A. They sound very good off my zapco dc ref amp.
Old 08-07-2008, 04:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

nice, your going crazy man! you wanna do 8's and horns.... wow!

i to am doing a little upgrading. i am swapping out mids for something a bit different. but they are still 6.5's, but beefy 6.5's.

i like how you wanna go all out, but i'd say grab a 4 channel and go active with what ya have and if you're still not happy swap out mids and tweets. 8's and horns is a huuuUUuuuge jump.
Old 08-07-2008, 04:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by trialsindude
8s should fit... i have the rs180 which is 7". The guy at 12volts in Parkville is trying to get me to get the dynaudio MW190 which is the 10" version. He thinks that it would fit in the tC since he did an install for his wife which she has a tC also. He tempt me with a very good price for the midbass also! LOL But then I would need to probably get horns again, which I don't want to do.

I'm actually contempt with my setup right now, Dayton RS180s and RS28A. They sound very good off my zapco dc ref amp.
How did you do your horns man? And what did you dislike about them? I would be content with tweets and not horns, I would just need tweets that played down low to meet up with the 8's. I'm very pleased with my RSD's, especially for the $87 they cost, can't be beat! However, I'm always upgrading and tweaking and I believe midbass and sub-bass are where I'd really like to work on my setup.

@tcguy, I'm going to a 4.150 for active very soon, just waiting for my next paycheck The only reason I'm interested in 8's is because I really crave midbass with more authority and kick! And the only reason horns appeal to me is because I need a mid/treble to play down low to the 8's and a horn seems to be the best way. Oddly enough, I want louder and cleaner midbass/midrange. I'd eventually like to move to a 15" HO, 8" mids, and a sweet set of horns/tweets, I'm just upgrading slowly but surely due to cost limits lol

Thanks for the input though! I can't wait to get active and see if it really cleans up the midbass! I also want to do a lot more deadening! So much want, so little cash lol
Old 08-07-2008, 04:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i really can't believe you aren't satisfied with the sub-bass. thats still shocking to me. i guess maybe you just like more bass than me.

the mid-bass of the rsd's is pretty damn good, but lately i am really getting upset with the lack of mid-range clarity on more aggressive music. certain stuff just gets edgy and no matter what i do i can't tame it. so i have new mids on the way. a pair of ID OEM's. still 6.5's but beefy as hell. i will be tryin them with the RSD tweets(at least at first). also since i mentioned tweets, i temp moved my tweets from the kicks to the pillars and i like how they sound up higher. really raised the sound stage which is sweet.

keep going on your search for pure sound!
Old 08-07-2008, 04:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

By the way, I think I need to get over to hear your setup. I'm interested in the RS225's, but the 180's should give me a good base. I'd like to hear those tweets too
Old 08-07-2008, 04:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Tcguy85
i really can't believe you aren't satisfied with the sub-bass. thats still shocking to me. i guess maybe you just like more bass than me.

the mid-bass of the rsd's is pretty damn good, but lately i am really getting upset with the lack of mid-range clarity on more aggressive music. certain stuff just gets edgy and no matter what i do i can't tame it. so i have new mids on the way. a pair of ID OEM's. still 6.5's but beefy as hell. i will be tryin them with the RSD tweets(at least at first). also since i mentioned tweets, i temp moved my tweets from the kicks to the pillars and i like how they sound up higher. really raised the sound stage which is sweet.

Ahh, yes, I was thinking about the ID OEM's as well after seeing a few sets on DIYMA up for sale. I thought moving to an 8 would be sweet and a fun project, I've heard a lot of great things about 8" midbasses. I'm not discontented with the HO10 one bit when the windows are up. It was mainly just this summer when I've been doing a lot of windows-down driving that I've been severely missing the oomph and feel of the sub-bass. I also must admit that I just love the idea of a 15 and the better low-end extension as well as lower port tuning

You're gonna have to let me know how those ID's go though!
Old 08-07-2008, 05:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by kidwolf908
Originally Posted by Tcguy85

Ahh, yes, I was thinking about the ID OEM's as well after seeing a few sets on DIYMA up for sale. I thought moving to an 8 would be sweet and a fun project, I've heard a lot of great things about 8" midbasses. I'm not discontented with the HO10 one bit when the windows are up. It was mainly just this summer when I've been doing a lot of windows-down driving that I've been severely missing the oomph and feel of the sub-bass. I also must admit that I just love the idea of a 15 and the better low-end extension as well as lower port tuning

You're gonna have to let me know how those ID's go though!
i'll have the id's early next week(the seller is in cali). i hear they need some break in time, but i'll write up a quick review after a week or so of hard use.
Old 08-07-2008, 05:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Haha, well be careful man, don't blow 'em. What's the RMS handling on those ID's? I know if I get the Dyn's, I'll be breaking them in for a month lol.
Old 08-07-2008, 01:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Strictly Scionized
SL Member

I loved the horns, I had the CD1pros on CDe minibodies. The reason why I got rid of it was, it is to big, I drive a manual so it gets in the way of my foot all the time. If you want to imagine how it would fit, measure it out, 14" wide, 3" high, and 10" deep. Then the motor depending on its orientation, it can hit your left foot, which there is only one way to mount it so it will almost always hit your foot. I had it crossed at 2000hz@24db, it was powered by my zapco dc ref amp which does 150watts@4ohms RMS, the horns was 8ohms so it saw no more than 75watts. On the amp itself for the channel the horns are on, I had it at -12db output, the gains was at the minimum, and it was LOUD! It overpowered my midbass, it was what everyone said that horns sounded like. It was the in your face midrange/tweeter.
So if you want to hear what I have now you are more than welcome to.
Old 08-08-2008, 12:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I loved the horns, I had the CD1pros on CDe minibodies. The reason why I got rid of it was, it is to big, I drive a manual so it gets in the way of my foot all the time. If you want to imagine how it would fit, measure it out, 14" wide, 3" high, and 10" deep. Then the motor depending on its orientation, it can hit your left foot, which there is only one way to mount it so it will almost always hit your foot. I had it crossed at 2000hz@24db, it was powered by my zapco dc ref amp which does 150watts@4ohms RMS, the horns was 8ohms so it saw no more than 75watts. On the amp itself for the channel the horns are on, I had it at -12db output, the gains was at the minimum, and it was LOUD! It overpowered my midbass, it was what everyone said that horns sounded like. It was the in your face midrange/tweeter.
So if you want to hear what I have now you are more than welcome to.
You think I could manage the CD1e's on mini-bodies since I drive an auto? The only reason I was leaning toward horns is because I don't want my midbass/subbass to overpower my treble and I love loud, crisp, clear highs. So I think I've asked this before, but where exactly in White Marsh are you located? I live in the Middle River area now and a trip to white marsh is no more than 15 minutes for me.
Old 08-08-2008, 12:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Strictly Scionized
SL Member

I live right off of Joppa Rd in Perry Hall. Well for an auto I don't think there would be an issue. With a manual to many feet are moving around! LOL You won't be disappointed with horns but be prepared to tinker around with it to make it sound good since everyones ears are different. And with the horns...the horns will over power everything else!!!

To respond to you on my other thread, it is a 05 XXX motor. Will recone it back to a 12" when I take the basket off of my re sx motor. I want to tune it low, but I think 30hz is a good number, just to probably do some DB drag stuff once in a while.