Notices
Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

** Panorama Moonroof **...?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2005, 04:12 PM

Default ** Panorama Moonroof **...?

I just had a couple of questions about the panorama moonroof.

1) Can you have the Panorama Moonroof open at the same time as the trunk...would they collide or touch in any way?

2) Can you drive with your Panorama Moonroof open going at like 70mph+, I don't have my tC yet so i was just wondering. The front piece looks very delicate (The small rectangular glass that opens towards the front) looks like it would break going at high speeds?

3) I've been studying the forum as of lately and noticed many tC owners complaining of the moonroof. rattles, noisy, fragile.....are all these complaints true?

4) I went to the dealership one afternoon after work to see if my car had come in yet. I wasn't there so I decided to check out the rest of the tc's they had. It was a rainy day so I was quick. but i noticed there was a total of 7 tc's. Out of the seven, probably 5 or 6 of them had water on the seats. Does the water leak through the roof? Will this be a problem at all?
Old 04-10-2005, 04:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Default Re: ** Panorama Moonroof **...?

Originally Posted by MrBarraza

1) Can you have the Panorama Moonroof open at the same time as the trunk...would they collide or touch in any way?

2) Can you drive with your Panorama Moonroof open going at like 70mph+, I don't have my tC yet so i was just wondering. The front piece looks very delicate (The small rectangular glass that opens towards the front) looks like it would break going at high speeds?

3) I've been studying the forum as of lately and noticed many tC owners complaining of the moonroof. rattles, noisy, fragile.....are all these complaints true?

4) I went to the dealership one afternoon after work to see if my car had come in yet. I wasn't there so I decided to check out the rest of the tc's they had. It was a rainy day so I was quick. but i noticed there was a total of 7 tc's. Out of the seven, probably 5 or 6 of them had water on the seats. Does the water leak through the roof? Will this be a problem at all?
Mine has had no leaks or rattles in 10,000 miles. The rain you saw in the seats was from people getting in and out of the car. You can open the hatch with the roof open. A few (three to my knowledge) have had issues with it breaking.... but no-one knows for sure why.. it seems that a couple had mentioned the moonroof creak/popping noise being there before it.... which they should have taken in for repair. Some of the tCs originally had an issue with a loose screw under the track... meaning the assembly could flex.. which probably contributed to theirs breaking... but it could have just been a fluke accident as well (my saturns sunroof was hit by a bird... so it can happen). As far as I know the newer tCs do not have the issue.. and if they do, there is a TSB out, so the dealer will fix it. I have driven plenty at 75 with it open.... but you do increase the risk of a rogue rock hitting it!! The glass looks a little thin for a sunroof... but so far so good on mine! Hope all of this helps
Old 04-10-2005, 04:25 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

yes, they can open at the same time
yes, you can drive with it open going 70mph
most of the rattles and noises have been found and scion has removed them with their later model tC's
the water does not leak through the roof. it was from people.
Old 04-10-2005, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by TheQuietThings

yes, they can open at the same time
yes, you can drive with it open going 70mph
most of the rattles and noises have been found and scion has removed them with their later model tC's
the water does not leak through the roof. it was from people.
I don't just mean 70 mph. I'm talking about everything above it. 80, 90, 100, 110.
Old 04-10-2005, 05:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I believe all new Tc's, and anything Toyota leaks around the rooftop.
check the other 2 carefully, and im saure you will find those pesky new car leaks there as well

again, this is a JOKE, toyota owNZ yew
Old 04-10-2005, 06:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Haven't had a leak yet, and I used a power washer on the car. The only thing that could have been better designed is the water channeling when the hatch is open.

ANY moonroof isn't really safe over 70mph if it sticks out of the car (ones the slide back but stay within the roof I would imagine are far safer). The front air dam is probably not going to stand up to retread or larger rocks, but I've had a couple of good size pebbles bounce right off without any damage.

Had my car two months, no moonroof rattles yet.
Old 04-10-2005, 06:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by 2eZee
I believe all new Tc's, and anything Toyota leaks around the rooftop.
check the other 2 carefully, and im saure you will find those pesky new car leaks there as well
Never seen a toyota moonroof leak. Mine has been in power washes and thunderstorms... if it leaks, it is a defect
Old 04-10-2005, 06:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

no problem here at all
Old 04-10-2005, 06:51 PM
5 Year Member

So far...no problems with my moonroof. I have over 11K miles on it, but I try to be really careful. Snow is two feet today so far; I've already been down to get the weight off of the glass on my tC. Not taking any chances. ;)
Old 04-10-2005, 07:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by ohmarni
So far...no problems with my moonroof. I have over 11K miles on it, but I try to be really careful. Snow is two feet today so far; I've already been down to get the weight off of the glass on my tC. Not taking any chances. ;)
Wow... still have two feet ! It has been 70 here in Minneapolis... lucky us Mine stays in the heated garage in the apartments in the snowy weather... I drive the paid for, plastic bodied saturn in the salt and snow..... so the tC has not sat out in the snow yet. Damn I'm going to miss that heated garage when I buy a house next year !!!
Old 04-10-2005, 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by DJIce

yet? So you are expecting leaks? hmmmm.

Also, the dealership cars weren't wet from people coming in andout of them. The dealership was closed. I work right across the dealership (literally 20 feet away) so every night after work, I take a peek to see if my car is in. But when I seen all the tC's with water in their cup holders and on the center piece I got scared of having mine flood.
Old 04-10-2005, 07:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by DJIce

yet? So you are expecting leaks? hmmmm.

Also, the dealership cars weren't wet from people coming in andout of them. The dealership was closed. I work right across the dealership (literally 20 feet away) so every night after work, I take a peek to see if my car is in. But when I seen all the tC's with water in their cup holders and on the center piece I got scared of having mine flood.
That is very weird.. I have never seen that on any of the ones on the lots here. The only time I have ever seen that on any car was after it was 5-6 years old and the seals were not taken care of
Old 04-10-2005, 08:10 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by engifineer
Originally Posted by ohmarni
Wow... still have two feet ! It has been 70 here in Minneapolis... lucky us Mine stays in the heated garage in the apartments in the snowy weather... I drive the paid for, plastic bodied saturn in the salt and snow..... so the tC has not sat out in the snow yet. Damn I'm going to miss that heated garage when I buy a house next year !!!
Actually, we got two feet of snow today, and it's the really heavy spring snow. Still snowing out there. So I'm just trying to keep the weight off. My boyfriend just bought an xA yesterday, so we were out there brushing both of our cars earlier. Gotta go back out later.
Old 04-10-2005, 08:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
N.G.S.O.

They were probably not closed right... no leaks, no rattles, and I have had the sunroof open at well over 80 and no problems... it a wind defelector after all and as for rattles if you start to have any check the rear privacy screen for the hatch if its loose it can make noise as for most of the complaints they are nothing but just people crying about stuff that isnt a big deal.
Old 04-11-2005, 12:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ya bro get it... moonroof is fine i went 120 with mine open. not fragile
Old 04-11-2005, 02:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

so what is the TSB again? sorry for asking
Old 04-11-2005, 02:54 AM
KJ
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

it's a technical service bulletin. The tsb on the moonroof is bs, but I guess that depends on who you take it to, stupid me I don't drive around all day looking for a dealer that will do the job they're supposed to. April 2nd mine shattered and I'm still waiting for it to get fixed. I hate that moonroof now, and it was the coolest thing I thought the car had. Hopefully it will get fixed tuesday, I'm really missing my car, it really is a good buy for the money despite the problem I had with it, and I'm seriously missing the handling on the car now that I've been driving a couple different rentals. I don't know if you'll get better stock handling for under 20k.

And yea, the roof can be open I've taken it up to 80, but I was always afraid the glass would fly off and hit the car behind me so I rarely would open it on the freeway. Only issue I'm gonna have from now on is why on earth is the sunshade a thin sheet of vinyl? I'm definately going to see if I can change that when I get my car back, and I'm keeping the shade closed unless the roof is open from now on. I'll never trust that roof again, it's been declared my enemy.
Old 04-11-2005, 03:49 AM
5 Year Member

Hey...i thought i was the only one having the moonroof. rattles, noisy...it has been weeks and i thought i was having some illusion...Is there anything i could do fix it or can i bring it back to the dealer?
Old 04-11-2005, 04:57 AM
SL Member

ok:

1) You can open hatch and roof at same time
2) I drove it at 120-130 with it open, no issues, no problems
3) Mine has no noise, and I dont even keep the cover on when its closed, plus my stereo is often at MAX unles sim on the cell phone and I have no major noise, smooth sailing.
4) Doesn't leak, if it did they wouldn't be selling it!
Old 04-11-2005, 06:41 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

KJ whats the last 5 digits of your vin???????

Quick Reply: ** Panorama Moonroof **...?