Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

**Moonroof Open at High Speed?**

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2005, 01:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default **Moonroof Open at High Speed?**

Is it OK to drive over 55 MPH with the moonroof open?
Do the vibration and bumps you experience while driving damage the framework or motors in the moonroof's mechanics?

Any guidance? I hope this isn't a silly question...

Last edited by MR_LUV; 04-08-2019 at 11:46 PM. Reason: Awarded 10 Yr Badge
Old 05-13-2005, 01:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i wouldn't recommend it, i rarely open my moonroof all the way, just open the lid, at that speed the front piece of the moonroof might shatter, and there's a thread about the gov. doing some research on the moonroof
Old 05-13-2005, 01:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It says in the owners manual not to
Old 05-13-2005, 02:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

I looked through mine, and cant find anywhere that it says not to. It mentions closing it half way due to wind throb, but nothing else. I looked for it last time someone mentioned that and it was not in there. I bought mine in October, so maybe they added that to the manual later? Let me know where it says it and I will check mine again. Not trying to argue, but I just havent found it in there.

You should be able to leave it open (but may risk getting hit by a rock). However, they are investigating a possibe poor design which could cause it to shatter due to wind pressure (very poor design if this is true) so I would be careful about it until they get that figured out.
Old 05-13-2005, 02:13 AM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ScionDad
Where?
Old 05-13-2005, 02:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

umm...i left mine open accidentally. my buddy and i were on the freeway...kinda racing (both are FM tC's)....hit 120mph. very noisy, but everything's ok. i only slowed down cuz stock suspension sucks at that speed....don't think i want to drive with it open on the freeway again tho....
Old 05-13-2005, 02:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The front lip doesn't stay rigid when it is open - I discovered that when I was cleaning it once while it was open. It flexes pretty easily, so I would guess that it will be a lot more resistant to shattering from a rock than the windshield is.

Also, I looked in my owners manual and found nothing specifically saying not to use the moonroof while in motion, although it does advise not to drive with it in the fully open position because wind gusts will be felt inside the car which can reduce passenger comfort. I don't use that position anyway, I only use the mostly open or the slightly open positions.
Old 05-13-2005, 03:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Keep all arms and legs inside the tC.

I drive on the highway all the time past 55 mph. I'm probably just asking for it though... o_O
Old 05-13-2005, 03:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Scion Evolution

sunroofs have something called a

"WIND DEFLECTOR"

it wunt damage your sunroof if you were traveling at a high rate of speed and yoiu open/close your sunroof.

but make sure you have full control of you car while your closing it though, 1 hand on the wheel wil going fast and multi tasking makes you a dangerous driver.
Old 05-13-2005, 03:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

unfortunately... that wind deflector is made out of glass... which will shatter... which is what the gov't is investigating.
Old 05-13-2005, 08:05 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I dont get whats the big deal. If your not supppose to drive on the freeway with the roof open, then they should have a huge warning lable on it. Plus if thats the case they are so getting a law suite. You bought the car so you can enjoy it not to worry ohh i am doing 60 i better close my roof. Its a car, and you take a risk everytime you get into it. So just relax and enjoy your car. Plus the wind deflector on mine lays flat when i am doing 80 so I dont see how it can shatter.
Old 05-13-2005, 12:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

This topic has been discussed in great detail in this thread regarding the investigation:

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=61122

can we lock this one? i think its better to just keep all talk about the glass moonroof on the other thread.
Old 05-13-2005, 01:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I guess I might change my tune if my wind deflector gets broken by a rock othr some other FOD, but why would you buy a car with a moonroof, and not enjoy it while driving (even on the freeway)? I don't travel at "ludicrous speed", but I've maintained a constant 80mph with it open, and while it is noisy, it seems fine.

If NHTSA and Toyota decide that they want to modify the design of the moonroof wind deflector across the model line, they will decide as such, but, given that the tC was thoroughly researched and developed before its launch, I know I won't be concerned about crap until crap happens .

There is way too much fear-mongering about this issue on this forum.
Old 05-13-2005, 01:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by garciaog
There is way too much fear-mongering about this issue on this forum.
That's pretty much it... one person suggests it and then 15 others start to believe it. It's already been mentioned here that there is no place in the manual that says not to drive with it open (at any speed). The only notice is a SUGGESTION to keep it in the 3/4 position at high speeds.

The wind deflector actually flexes as you speed up. If you're going above 70 or so, the force of the wind will start to fold the deflector down (it's spring loaded). Test it some time, open your moonroof (while parked) and then push down on the deflector a little as it's up. It moves freely. I don't see where the shattering comes into play unless it's hit with something. Then again, I don't know - mine is still intact and I drive with it open on the highway all the time.
Old 05-13-2005, 01:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

My g/f and I cruise with the it fully open at 75 mph. Windy and a little noisy, but oh so nice. (in 75* weather!)
Old 05-13-2005, 01:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ya, I'll second that... some people can't live without a/c; I'd rather have some air moving around me. The noise gets annoying though (though it's worse when I have windows down too).
Old 05-13-2005, 02:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i do it all the time

btw ack154 that avatar rules!
Old 05-13-2005, 02:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I ride with it open A LOT. Sometimes at speeds in excess of 70 or more. I hope nothing bad happens.
Old 05-13-2005, 02:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

Originally Posted by ScionDad
where?
i leave mine open, i've done it until 105, but after that i start losing stability..

my daily average is 80... it's always open.
Old 05-13-2005, 02:36 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Just my two cents... I leave work everyday and the first thing I do is open the sunroof to the first stop (not all the way) and I cruise home. Sometimes if I find someone to play with I will occasionally hit 100 - 115. Guess what. My sunroof is still on my car (knock on wood) I will let ya'll know when it shatters and falls off into traffic and causes a 50 car pile up... or you might see it on the news..

Quick Reply: **Moonroof Open at High Speed?**