Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2005, 01:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by bdonscion
MY06 Interior Changes — 1st month of production is May PPR1
• Steering wheel audio controls
• New audio head unit design (shared w/ xA & xB)
• iPod / Mini-jack connectors (inside center console)
• 2 new exterior colors
o 1F7 (Classic Silver Metallic)
o 8S6 (Nautical Blue)
• BE option (side curtain airbags) on the 2006MY will be ordered at 25% until demand increases.
I hope the iPod connectors are able to be retro-fitted to a MY05 tC. I'd love to hide my iPod in the center console and control it with a full integrated radio solution.
Old 04-15-2005, 01:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Rivulent
If you have an aftermarket radio, chances are it doesn't matter about the audio controls one way or the other. Still a nice option though, which I bet it will be an option - replacement steering wheel for 500$ anyone?
no, if you have aftermarket, it won't make a difference, but i like the head units they come with now and it would be that much better with stearing wheel controls and jacks for mp3 players and ipods.

also, i wanted to say thanks to jumbo and bdonscion and all the other dealers that take the time to come here and post and keep us informed and up-to-date about what's happening with scion and their cars!
Old 04-15-2005, 09:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team N.V.S.

will the 05s be able to have the 06 steering wheel audio controls somehow fitted to them if we wanted them? i would guess that it is just a matter of buying a new steering wheel made for the 06 models and the buttons will be on it and can hopefully be wired to the 05 system. wow, that would be totally cool! then i would use my radio cover more!
Old 04-16-2005, 12:06 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

Well I went to the dealership last night and came within an inch of buyin a tc but managed to hold off a little longer to try and wait out for a '06 model.... Hope they come out in a couple of months cause its gonna be a long a$$ wait
Old 04-16-2005, 04:14 PM
5 Year Member

Im getting so anxious to buy one.. I dont know if I will be able to hold on for a few more months. Really would love the 2006 but I need a car real bad for work. I need to get my mind off the tC.. help!!!
Old 04-17-2005, 02:25 AM
5 Year Member

Got my RS 1.0 yesterday, no '06 deck....no suprise there.... but they did manage to scratch the SH%$&@ out of my center console putting it in.... Dealer had the whole "waterfall cascade" console replaced in 15 minutes though...

-C
Old 04-17-2005, 05:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah im also thinking about holding out for the 06.

hope its a 1/8 jack to fit any type of hard drive player...i got a dell and its starting to ____ me off, all this hype about ipod accessories....

Steering wheel controls would be ok...could do without...but as long as there is a **** on the stereo ill be fine....
Old 04-17-2005, 08:46 PM
5 Year Member

Scion Noics
SL Member

I was planning on waiting on an 06 but since the stereo is the only thing that they are upgrading I think I'm gonna go ahead and get an 05 FM. I plan on putting a new sound system in anyway. The new colors don't really appeal to me either.
Old 04-20-2005, 08:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Will the 6 disc changer also have the 1/8th inch plugin? by the way 06's come out in june...
Old 04-20-2005, 09:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by terra_tC
hope its a 1/8 jack to fit any type of hard drive player...i got a dell and its starting to ____ me off, all this hype about ipod accessories....
Not to put you down for having a Dell, but there are good reasons for car makers to be all over the iPod connector:

- 90% of the MP3 player market is iPod

- iPod users could use a minijack too, but the iPod connector will give better sound quality (it's a line level output, other players only have headphone jack outs, which are preamped and prone to distortion/coloration when you plug them into another amp).

- iPod's connector allows you to control music via the HU (or in the '06, the steering wheel controls) AND to keep it powered without a separate, horrible-looking cigarette-lighter cord. (Why don't any other MP3 player makers have a connector like this?? )

That said, I'd like a minijack too, so I can go over interviews I've taped on my cassette recorder. Old school!
Old 04-20-2005, 09:52 PM
5 Year Member

Scion Noics
SL Member

hehe ...is that the quiznos animal michael?
Old 04-20-2005, 09:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

Originally Posted by mrtc
...but there are good reasons for car makers to be all over the iPod connector:

Where did this statistic come from?
I don't think 90% of the market is iPod.
If this were the case the remaining 10% would have to be divided among all the other makers of mp3 players. The probability to make profit or to gain market share would be nil.
Old 04-21-2005, 01:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by TCAV8R
Originally Posted by mrtc
...but there are good reasons for car makers to be all over the iPod connector:

Where did this statistic come from?
I don't think 90% of the market is iPod.
If this were the case the remaining 10% would have to be divided among all the other makers of mp3 players. The probability to make profit or to gain market share would be nil.
http://quote.bloomberg.com/apps/news...d=a58iozj_2jXM

The iPod had an 82 percent share of the market in U.S. retail stores in the 12 months ended in August, up from 64 percent in the same period a year earlier, and 33 percent two years ago, according to Port Washington, New York-based NPD Group Inc.

The iPod does have a commanding market share. That 82% is from last october also. They had a killer Christmas again, so I would assume it's close if not 90% at present. That's why the car companies are jumping on board with Apple to create connections to the stock radios for iPods. Plus the other reasons mentioned, the level line out, ability to control it, only one cord needed, etc, etc.
Old 04-21-2005, 07:22 PM
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member
N.G.S.O.

Here's why I want the iPod connector in the Scions (not photochopped):

I love it.

LATER
Old 04-21-2005, 08:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I must say,

I have an iPod Photo 30 gig. I actually had my subs connected to the stock stereo system. I only have the one disc cd player, but it would be REALLY schweet if Toyota released a harness/universal adapter for the 05 tC. Just a HINT toyota , don't leave millions of music lovers out in the cold !!!! We want our iPods to work in our cars TOO !!!!
Old 04-21-2005, 08:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

82% is different than 90%.
I see it this way, the iPod is like the walkman of the 80's. Sony sold a lot of units but ended up just having another mobile cassette player on the market after a few years. Apple will not always be on top of the market. They have done very well with marketing. I really find it funny with the ipod mini, for $50 more you could quadruple your memory.
Even if there was a specific iPod hook up in our cars, those who do not have an iPod would still be looking for a way to hook up their players to the stock HU w/o an fm modulator.
Can you tell I am not on the iPod bandwagon?
I like the unit, used a friends for a while, but chose to go with the Rio Karma for many reasons. I never looked back.
Old 04-21-2005, 09:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

82% is different than 90%.
But 87.5% is close...

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1712064,00.asp

It actually was 92% right after Christmas.

I see it this way, the iPod is like the walkman of the 80's. Sony sold a lot of units but ended up just having another mobile cassette player on the market after a few years.
Do people pass that opinion around in e-mail or something? It's totally apples(he he) and oranges. The Walkman came onto the market with zero competition. There were probably more MP3 players on the market in 2004 than there ever were with cassette players. You could walk into a Fry's a year ago and see a whole wall covered with them.

Also, the Walkman did quite well for itself even with all the competition and its comparatively high price -- 100 million units sold, and a wide, thriving product line even today.

I don't think the iPod is for everyone. Some people might want voice recording capability. Others might still listen to FM radio. the iPod will probably never do those (without third-party add-ons).

But for the particular application we're talking about in this thread -- use in a car -- the iPod is clearly superior.

Originally Posted by indecisive311
hehe ...is that the quiznos animal michael?
http://www.rathergood.com/moon_song/ (Caution: loud, bad singing) I got so ____ed when they changed to Baby frickin' Bob that I haven't eated a Quiznos since.
[/quote]
Old 04-21-2005, 10:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

iPod was one of the first hard drive players. Flash players and hard drive players are apples and oranges too. Except of course when you talk about the iPod and iPod mini right?
The statement about the walkman is my opinion. Sony was the first portable cassette player on the market at that time, such as Apple was with the iPod.
How is the iPod the best to use in a car?
I used my Karma in my truck with a cassette adapter and it was great.
I get tired of people thinking iPod is the end all be all of hard drive mp3 players.
Old 04-21-2005, 11:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

Ok naysayers...
I just installed my PIE adapter. This was easier than doing my mudguards. That is how easy it is to do. Now I have the stock single cd player and can play my Karma through the HU w/o an fm modulator. No iPod needed.
Old 04-22-2005, 12:37 AM
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member
N.G.S.O.

After having other mp3 players, I have to say: The iPod's intuitive controls and sleek design make it a wonderful thing to use. It works exactly like it ought to, and does what it is supposed to do extremely well.
I won mine, so money was not an issue in the acqusition of it. But that is what was always standing in the way for me. I loved it, but wasn't willing to shell out the money for one.
There are very good mp3 players out there, and some are less money. But as far as defining an era in portable music, I think that it is hard to discount the iPod's contributions.

Quick Reply: 2006 TC Release Date IPOD