Notices
Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

3rd gear manual - I owe someone somewhere an apology

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2004, 03:11 PM
5 Year Member

Default 3rd gear manual - I owe someone somewhere an apology

Well, at just over 1000 miles my transmission started acting up. 3rd gear decided it no longer wanted to stay in place. It pops out and throws the car into what looks like neutral, but isnt. As I'm nowhere near a mechanic I wont begin to speculat why. All I know is it's going into the shop after 2 weeks.

So whomever was _____ing about the 5 speed POS, sorry I got on your case.
Old 08-23-2004, 03:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
N.G.S.O.

How do you work this kind of situation with a dealer? As far as I know they always try to blame any 5-speed problems on the customer, something like "you don't know how to drive 5-speed and you screwed it up". I personally have 4 weeks of 5-speed driving experience, so I will have a lot of trouble proving that I'm not the root of all evil... Not that I'm going to tell them that it's my first manual...
Old 08-23-2004, 04:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I would not think the dealer would blame you unless you really did something to try to break it. Going into 3rd gear should be an easy shift anyway. Most people with out experance just ride the clutch more. The trans should always shift easy. If it does not go into gear let the clutch out a little to get the gears spinning. Even if you did this it should not break unless you really crammed on the shifter. Toyota should stand behind a problem like popping out of gear.

Let us know what the dealer says.

Good Luck
Old 08-23-2004, 05:04 PM
5 Year Member

I've been driving manuals for 15 years, It's not me. I put it into third gear, completely remove my foot from the clutch and a few seconds later it just pops into neutral. You can actualy watch it work it's way down to the point where it pops out. And, if I try, I can just tap the stick a little and it pops out. It's not me, it's definitely the car.

Someone just told me it might be something to do with the linkage? Anyone knows what he was talking about?
Old 08-23-2004, 05:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

Does it pop out of gear when your car is off?

Open your hood and look near/below the firewall for two black bushings with cotter pins on them. If you can't find them, have someone go through the gears (with the car off) while you look for them. There should be two cables moving two arms on your transmission. See if anything is loose/missing.

*shrug*, it's worth a look...
Old 08-23-2004, 05:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: 3rd gear manual - I owe someone somewhere an apology

Originally Posted by MrBlister
Well, at just over 1000 miles my transmission started acting up. 3rd gear decided it no longer wanted to stay in place. It pops out and throws the car into what looks like neutral, but isnt. As I'm nowhere near a mechanic I wont begin to speculat why. All I know is it's going into the shop after 2 weeks.

So whomever was _____ing about the 5 speed POS, sorry I got on your case.
If its a big problem & stuff there is a simple way around it. I have been to a hybrid car forum before & some of those guys say do the 1 to 2 shift then the 2 to 3 then just skip 4th & take 5th. So maybe in your case if it keeps happening just skip 3rd instead. Might not be good for around town at 25mph though.
Old 08-23-2004, 06:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If its a big problem & stuff there is a simple way around it. I have been to a hybrid car forum before & some of those guys say do the 1 to 2 shift then the 2 to 3 then just skip 4th & take 5th. So maybe in your case if it keeps happening just skip 3rd instead. Might not be good for around town at 25mph though.
The car needs to be fixed. Skipping gears on a new vehicle to avoid a problem is a ridiculous suggestion.
Old 08-23-2004, 06:35 PM
5 Year Member

The car is 2 weeks old. I'm not going to skip gears, just going to take it in tomorrow morning on my way to work.
Old 08-23-2004, 06:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

they shouldn't blame it on you. i mean, they should take it apart and find out whats wrong....and i doubt its cause you don't know how to move a stick into position. if they do say its your fault, post why they did, cause that be some criznap yo...
Old 08-24-2004, 03:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Scion Evolution

its a defected tranny?!

thats wat im guessing. dealer has to fix defects. its their policy.

hmmm 3rd gear popping out?! i hear aobut this a lot over the forums but i havent experienced this yet at all. what did you guys do to make 3rd pop out?!
Old 08-24-2004, 03:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Quick question for you. How have you been driving it? Be honest on the answer to that. It sounds like the syncros are messing up in the transmission. 99% of the time stuff like this happens because somebody tries to drive it fast, but doesn't do it successfully. You probably ripped through your transmission. It sounds like you ate the gears apart, throwing off your syncros. My guess is you unsuccessfully attempted to shift into third gear too many times, letting off the clutch too early and slamming it into third. Sounds like a personal problem to me...
Old 08-24-2004, 03:53 AM
5 Year Member

I'm almost up to 2000 miles, and I haven't had a problem with this. I'd like to know what they say, though, in case it DOES become a problem. (I've been driving stick since I learned to drive, they can't tell me I don't know HOW!)

Funny story though. My last car was a 92 Saturn SL2. (not by choice...) but anyway, for a good long time, it was a very reliable car. Then it started going downhill. So my clutch went out. I go to Saturn, have it replaced. I get the car back, and the first thing that happens is that it grinds HARD going into first. Well, I begin to doubt myself, and decide I wasn't to the floor with the new, potentially trickier clutch.

I get down to the end of the block, stop, and it happens again. So I turn around, KNOWING that I had the clutch to the floor this time. They ask me if I "know how to drive stick?" So I tell them to get someone to "show me how!" The mechanic gets in the car, takes it to the end of the block, grinds it HARD again, turns it around, takes it back, and pops me in a rental car while they fixed my car properly. :roflmao:

Moral of the story. Don't let them tell you that you don't know how to drive your car. I doubted myself the first time on that new clutch, but I paid some attention to what I was doing that second time, and found out I had done the exact same, and RIGHT thing before. You put 1000 miles on this car, before it had a problem. You know it wasn't a fluke, one time thing, it's doing this continually. It needs fixing.

Let us know what happens!
Old 08-24-2004, 03:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by cali girly
Moral of the story. Don't let them tell you that you don't know how to drive your car. I doubted myself the first time on that new clutch, but I paid some attention to what I was doing that second time, and found out I had done the exact same, and RIGHT thing before. You put 1000 miles on this car, before it had a problem. You know it wasn't a fluke, one time thing, it's doing this continually. It needs fixing.

Let us know what happens!
Yeah, unless he grinded up his gears by being a dumbass...
Old 08-24-2004, 05:01 AM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by emoinwinter
Quick question for you. How have you been driving it? Be honest on the answer to that. It sounds like the syncros are messing up in the transmission. 99% of the time stuff like this happens because somebody tries to drive it fast, but doesn't do it successfully. You probably ripped through your transmission. It sounds like you ate the gears apart, throwing off your syncros. My guess is you unsuccessfully attempted to shift into third gear too many times, letting off the clutch too early and slamming it into third. Sounds like a personal problem to me...
Be careful what you say online, I read in a recent magazine that Mazda has turned down some RX-8 warranty claims because in an online forum the drivers admitted to having participated in a race. The drivers have hired lawyers, outcome yet to be decided.
Old 08-24-2004, 05:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

3rd gear popping out is actually due to two things.. first is the synchronizer not holding the gear and forcing it out since it's not synchronized.. the second is the shift detents (a series of gears and springs holding the gear in place) is defective and that would release the gear and make it pop out..

if the gear is being pushed out of position.. and you try to push it as it's popping out then it grinds? that would be the synchronizer..

other people have had problems with this transmission.. myself included on 3 different tc's all manuals.. third gear was messed up.. and yes I DO know how to drive a manual.. been driving for 16 years.. minute i test drove one and felt that, i just knew the manual trans was going to have 2nd and 3rd gear problems..

another person on this board or another.. is getting their entire transmission replaced.. Of course Scion knows of this problem.. don't worry about it.. if your dealer gives you a problem.. take it to another dealer!! and call Scion to report it.. the last thing they want is another low score on like the xA and xB got last time around..

racing wouldn't ruin ONLY third gear by the way.. the clutch would be completely burned and scored when they took it apart.. unless a racer was not clutch shifting (speed shifting, not a good thing)... there is no way the trans would be shot.. so don't worry.. just get the dealer to fix it and definitely let scion know of how upset you are.. watch how fast things get fixed when you do that!
Old 08-24-2004, 04:07 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by emoinwinter
Quick question for you, and please answer honestly: have you always been a jackass or is it something you've had to work at?

Sounds like an extremely personal problem to me. Go troll somewhere else.
Old 08-24-2004, 04:10 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by sciontc_mich
3rd gear popping out is actually due to two things.. first is the synchronizer not holding the gear and forcing it out since it's not synchronized.. the second is the shift detents (a series of gears and springs holding the gear in place) is defective and that would release the gear and make it pop out..

if the gear is being pushed out of position.. and you try to push it as it's popping out then it grinds? that would be the synchronizer..

other people have had problems with this transmission.. myself included on 3 different tc's all manuals.. third gear was messed up.. and yes I DO know how to drive a manual.. been driving for 16 years.. minute i test drove one and felt that, i just knew the manual trans was going to have 2nd and 3rd gear problems..

another person on this board or another.. is getting their entire transmission replaced.. Of course Scion knows of this problem.. don't worry about it.. if your dealer gives you a problem.. take it to another dealer!! and call Scion to report it.. the last thing they want is another low score on like the xA and xB got last time around..

racing wouldn't ruin ONLY third gear by the way.. the clutch would be completely burned and scored when they took it apart.. unless a racer was not clutch shifting (speed shifting, not a good thing)... there is no way the trans would be shot.. so don't worry.. just get the dealer to fix it and definitely let scion know of how upset you are.. watch how fast things get fixed when you do that!
There was/is no racing. Look at some of my other posts about racing on this forum.

As for the car, I was babying it for the first thousand miles according to the manual. Funny that it started happening just over that mark though. And, yes, I know how to drive a stick. Been doing so for over 15 years.

When I took it in this morning the service manager noted that Scion is aware that this -is- a problem with the tC, as is the popping noise on the sunroof (had them look at that while I have the car there, might as well) He mentioned that they have had three in this week alone. So...
Old 08-24-2004, 04:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

hey i never thought you were racing your car at all.. just was mentioning the things that would show if someone did..

glad to hear that your scion dealer is going to fix it for you.. I figured it was going to be a problem when a test drove a couple and it had this.. best thing, obviously, is to let them replace the transmission or whatever scion is going to do to fix it.. I just heard about someone else who got the entire transmission replaced.. let us know how it goes and what they fixed/replace (sunroof and transmission)..

i think this manual problem is going to grow.. until a design change happens on the production line..

also.. can you tell us the last 4-5 digits of your VIN? that's the production sequence off the production line.. thanks..
Old 08-24-2004, 04:21 PM
5 Year Member

Dont have anything with my vin on it handy as I'm at work. I'll do so tomorrow or perhaps this evening when I get home (if I have my car)
Old 08-24-2004, 04:22 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
DelMarVa

thats cool he's owning up to it

Quick Reply: 3rd gear manual - I owe someone somewhere an apology