Notices
Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

Alright can cops clock you on radar if both cars are moving?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2008, 11:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Alright can cops clock you on radar if both cars are moving?

From what I've always thought and understood that the radars on state troopers and other cops cant get a reading of how fast you are going if the trooper is driving and im driving. On easter I was going northbound and a trooper was going southbound, he said he clocked me at 94 which i was doing. he let me go with no tickets. today i did 70 something past a sheriff, he turned around and told me i was doin around 70 and gave me a ticket but just said to plea not guilty and he will drop the ticket for me. So am i wrong or right with the radars not getting a reading while he is moving??
Old 04-06-2008, 12:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

They can get you while there moving...
Old 04-06-2008, 12:05 AM
SL Member

Well I had a field trip for my law and justice class and explored all the law enforcement gadgets they have nowadays and from what they explained to us, NC troopers actually can clock your speed from any side of their vehicle: front, behind, side. And they can read it from a pretty good distance. So I'm pretty sure they can clock you while they are moving with your, or they might just see how fast you are going by going the same pace as you...hard to tell
Old 04-06-2008, 12:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

____s crazy though, i mean both times one southbound one northbound. none of them paced me but the only way i can see them pullin me over is for judgement but both times they were basically accurate on the speeds i was doin. i know they aint dumb though
Old 04-06-2008, 12:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

They can just pace you. Thats how i got pulled over for my 95 in a 65.
Old 04-06-2008, 01:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Balliztik
SL Member

yes they can get you moving or from a stop.......
Old 04-06-2008, 04:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yes.
Old 04-06-2008, 04:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

slow the fk down!
Old 04-06-2008, 05:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i cant drive slow lol. im not one of those reckless drivers but if im in a 30 i gotta do 40 and so on. its a bad habit im tryna kick but it aint easy
Old 04-06-2008, 05:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

did u really need to ask this question? u said 2 diff times the cop was goin southbound when u were goin northbound and he knew how fast u were goin. so why did u even ask if the can use a radar when the are goin opposite of u. i think u answered your own question
Old 04-06-2008, 05:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

My father is a cop and I've ridden with him many times.

His radar has three displays:
1: his speed
2: the closest car's speed
3: the fastest car's speed

All of these work simultaneously.

I've seen it be accurate up to 125 yards or so both at a moving pace and stopped pace.

The radar actually has alot of settings such as it will filter out low speeds and only show higher speeds or only show speeds from a single side of the vehicle, etc.
Old 04-06-2008, 06:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

gotcha thats what im lookin for. since the first pullover ive been wondering how he knows the speed when there are other cars around me and what not. i cant mess around with it though
Old 04-06-2008, 06:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

just wait! in 2010 theres gonna be a new system in socal, basically its just like the stoplight cameras, only they're infrared speed stops. they just get built on the side of the highway and they clock your speed and get a pic of your license plate. u get a ticket in the mail and thats that.
Old 04-06-2008, 06:54 AM
SL Member
Scion Evolution

great, another crappy thing that socal will get. As if CARB wasnt enough.
Old 04-06-2008, 06:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fresh Crew
SL Member

Originally Posted by banginonallcylinders
just wait! in 2010 theres gonna be a new system in socal, basically its just like the stoplight cameras, only they're infrared speed stops. they just get built on the side of the highway and they clock your speed and get a pic of your license plate. u get a ticket in the mail and thats that.
so your saying that this system is located basically anwhere on the highway and say if you are going anywhere over the speed limit you will get a ticket?
Old 04-06-2008, 07:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

doesn't matter if 2 cars are going fast or racing. he'll pull either one and most likely it'll be the one behind and just radio someone else for a heads up on the car infront.
Old 04-06-2008, 07:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

That system in socal is to big brother for comfort. I would suggest buying a radar detector. I paid 250 for mine and it's been worth every penny. Even against lazer it's been good enough to give me enough time to slow down because it usually picks up cars getting hit ahead of me.
Old 04-06-2008, 08:04 AM
SL Member

Please - Drive the speed limit. They make race tracks and drag strips to really show off your muscle. Also, the law says you can only go xx miles per hour. But they don't say how FAST you can go from 0 to xx. ;)

It also saves tire wear.

Romans 13:1-2 I don't know if you are a Christian, but you may want to give this some thought if you are...
Old 04-06-2008, 08:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

you go to the gym to show off your muscles, the track is for power, and going 5mph above is ok if your traffic is like that but more is just asking for it. eh gone through 3 radars and only liked the beltronics i had, cobras are wack and a waste. but when they also see the radar on your dash they know it's there for a reason, cause you like to speed alot.
Old 04-06-2008, 08:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by AcidDrop
you go to the gym to show off your muscles, the track is for power, and going 5mph above is ok if your traffic is like that but more is just asking for it. eh gone through 3 radars and only liked the beltronics i had, cobras are wack and a waste. but when they also see the radar on your dash they know it's there for a reason, cause you like to speed alot.
My cobra hasn't failed me yet. I've had my car since 06 and always drive an easy 10 over and took two trips from upstate NY all the way to Atlanta, Ga twice doing 90+ most of the way. The only laser area I run into is Ohio and it's detected about 5 or so times getting lasered always with enough warning for me to drop it. Although in Ohio I keep it at around only 10-15 over

edit: I will add that I no longer drive that fast since getting married in September starting a family kinda changes attitude a bit.

Quick Reply: Alright can cops clock you on radar if both cars are moving?