Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

Any upgrades that should be considered "required?"

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2005, 04:34 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Any upgrades that should be considered "required?"

I'm curious to know if there are people that bought a stock or mostly stock tC and then realized they really should have gotten a specific upgrade. Now I'm not talking looks and cool factor really, I'm talking practical stuff. I'm getting this tC for the practicality and for its "professional" appearance. I work with a lot of people with expensive cars, but I'm not gonna throw down double the tC cost for a brand name. I'm gonna cheat and look good for half the price. ;) So who has realized after owning their tC for awhile that they really should have added things like the bumper and door sill protection because they did notice that it starts getting badly scuffed, scratched, whatever. Carpets I figure is another one. Or they shouldve added XM (still practical buy in my book) because it was a pain/more costly to add after the fact? I'm willing to spend a little on upgrades if it makes it a better overall deal and I'll save money/hassle if I have to add it later. And FYI, I know nothing about cars and probably won't be willing to pull stuff off and install things on my own. Call me lazy. So basically, what upgrades does everyone consider to be "no brainers?" I'll even maybe spend a little on looks as long as it stays professional and doesn't start swinging towards "Look at me!"
Old 05-18-2005, 04:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I just got my accersories installed not to long ago. I got the oem lip kit, TRD lowering spring, and the TRD exhaust and I think the color looks a lot better since I had the parts installed. I liked it before the accersories but the car really needs something to make it look better.
Old 05-18-2005, 04:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
N.G.S.O.

I had a cargo net in my '02 Celica that was more than useful. I found out it fits perfectly in my tC. You may not think it necessary but it really does help to keep things from bouncing around in your trunk.
Old 05-18-2005, 04:49 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Agreed, I forgot about the cargo net. I'm getting one for my xB and when I pickup the tC its going in there as well.
Old 05-18-2005, 04:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Most people could live without it, but I LOVE my auto-dimming Homelink mirror. I love not having any garage door openers clipped on my visor.
Old 05-18-2005, 05:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Funny you should ask that. I was just washing my car and noticed some little scratches on the rear bumper which would have been protected by the, well, bumper protector. I might still get one. On a dark color tC it blends in. On the lighter colors it tends to get dirt around the edge and look bad, even with washing.

The factory mats are a must have to me. They convert from carpet to all-weather mats (for winter or messy times) and fit and look good. They do wear quickly, but hopefully Scion is trying to do something about this.

You'll save a lot by adding XM or Sirius aftermarket units. The OEM kits are way too expensive. And while talking about audio, the OEM Bazooka sub is a really nice upgrade to the stereo, especially if you're not planning on ripping out and replacing the whole stereo like some people do.

TRD lowering springs make the car look and handle better. Ever since I got mine every stock tC looks like a 4x4 to me. Most people agree the tC should have come with the TRD springs stock.
Old 05-18-2005, 05:21 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm getting a SW so thats good info on the bumper. While I'm not wanting to look flashy, I don't want to look like poop either. Anyone have a SW and the bumper guard and can share how good/bad it looks? And I don't plan on changing the stereo so the subwoofer probably would be a good fit for me. Is it worth the money though? You get a decent boost for the cost?
Old 05-18-2005, 05:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Definitely reccomend the mirror. I love mine. Reduces having to mess with the mirror when a car is blinding you from behind, and the homelink function is great. I also have remotes on some of my home lighting, which can be programmed to one of the function buttons on the mirror, so you can turn on your porch light, living room light, etc with it when you pull in. Very cool gadget :D
Old 05-18-2005, 05:37 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default XM aftermarket addition

If you skip the dealer-installed XM accessory, what would you need to look for in the aftermarket?

The dealer-installed stuff... is that just an XM antenna that wires into the Scion XM-ready head units (base or 6-disc changer)? So that if we were looking for something aftermarket, maybe "all" we'd be shopping for would be the antenna?

'cause at XMradio.com, I'm mostly seeing info about buying what looks like whole radios...
Old 05-18-2005, 05:46 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I definately should have gone for the home link/auto-dimming mirror. I don't even have a garage door opener in my car, I use the key pad on the house.
Old 05-18-2005, 06:00 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default XM Radio receivers

er... I just found "In-car XM Receivers" intended to be plugged in to satellite-ready radios. The $100 XM Tuner box requires a $50 adapter to plug into your satellite-ready in-dash stereo system. They have adapters for "many" Pioneer head-units (copied/pasted below). Think the stock and/or 6-disc changer upgraded stereo will work with the adapters? Anyone know?

Also... anyone have a guess as to what a good installation would cost? It wouldn't be $300, would it (the diff between $150 and the factory-installed XM radio accessory)?

From XMradio.com...

The following Pioneer head-units are compatible with the XMDirect™ Universal Tuner Box:

* DEH P2500
* DEH P3500
* DEH P4500MP
* DEH P5500MP
* DEH P6500
* DEH P7500MP
* DEH P8500MP
* DEH P9400MP
* KEH P2030

* DEH P2600
* DEH P3600
* DEH P4600MP
* DEH P6600
* DEH P7600MP
* DEH P8600MP
* DEH P9600MP
* KEH P2030

2003 Premier Models

* DEH P250
* DEH P350
* DEH P450MP
* DEH P550MP
* DEH P650
* DEH P750MP
* DEH P850MP
* DEH P940MP
* DEX-P9

2004 Premier Models

* DEH P360
* DEH P460MP
* DEH P560MP
* DEH P660
* DEH P760MP
* DEH P860MP
* DEH P960MP
* DEH P8MP
Old 05-18-2005, 06:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

sounds like i might consider the bumper applique now w/ suggestions from this thread...

wouldn't you be better off buying the mats and auto dimming mirror from mcgeorge's? (cheaper)
Old 05-18-2005, 06:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The stock stereo will NOT work with the pioneer adapters. This is a fact.
Old 05-18-2005, 06:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

springs
Old 05-18-2005, 06:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
N.G.S.O.

Originally Posted by finger11
sounds like i might consider the bumper applique now w/ suggestions from this thread...

wouldn't you be better off buying the mats and auto dimming mirror from mcgeorge's? (cheaper)
That's what I did. I bought the mats seperate and turned out to be much cheaper.
Old 05-18-2005, 06:32 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Looks like it's either get the dealer-accessory XM-radio-stuff (to work with the stock radio or the 6-disc) or get a whole new radio/head-unit thingy.

So much for that idea of not spending quite $449.

As for the bumper applique, that's basically a $58 sticker, right? Wouldn't that be a good candidate for getting as an aftermarket accessory and then self-installation? Not that I've every considered installing anything on my own, but it's a sticker, right? And might the Clear Bra/RockBlocker people offer a version too? (I just sent them a note asking just that.)
Old 05-18-2005, 06:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

yea i just saw mcgeorge has the bumper applique for 34 bucks... anyone install it by themselves?
Old 05-18-2005, 07:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

or any pics?
Old 05-18-2005, 08:34 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

So the McGeorge prices are basically the cost minus the installation charges or will the dealership add charges on top of the costs listed by Scion for the parts? I'd rather have someone with better coordination then my bumbling hands install the stuff and I can just finance it. But some of these things are double the price of McGeorges.
Old 05-19-2005, 04:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I wonder if you can get the homelink mirror cheaper on ebay or somewhere else - 250ish is still a lot. How many people have installed it with the side airbags? I'm still thinking about it.

I don't want to get the rear bumper applique because I have the cargo mat, which has a fold out cover thing to protect from scratches, and if I had the applique, I know dirt would build up aorund the edges even when washing it. If you ever took it off there would be a scratch line around it.

Quick Reply: Any upgrades that should be considered "required?"