Notices
Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

Anyone else itching to trade in their tC for an FRS/BRZ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2012, 04:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Anyone else itching to trade in their tC for an FRS/BRZ?

As much as I've grown to love the tC over the last 6 years or so that I've been driving one, I really feel that the FRS/BRZ is everything our car should have been (or at least what the 2nd gen tC should have been). Smaller, faster, lighter, RWD, 6speed, etc. Is anyone else planning on the making the swap?
Old 05-09-2012, 05:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I would like one, but I don't like the gas mileage on premium. I love stick shift, but would it be worth it to go to flappy paddles? I don't know. I wouldn't get one for atleast a couple or so years when I have a real job and figure gas prices aren't that big of a deal.
Old 05-09-2012, 05:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Personally, I'm not. My tC will be the last Scion I'll own. I'd rather go old school and go back to Nissan.
Old 05-09-2012, 05:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'd love to have one. Frs or brz. Especially if they make s sti version of the Brz!! But with a kinda steep price tag idk lol I rather not do anymore payments lol
Old 05-09-2012, 06:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

nope not planning on getting one. all the money spent into the tc just doesnt make it worth it. i already saw somewhere they are planning on making an sti version on the brz but it wont be turbocharged. it will have slight upgrades to put it around 250hp. even that to me isnt worth it right now. i really love the looks of it but that is about it. if i was to get a new car it would not be an frs or the brz.
Old 05-09-2012, 06:49 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Cool looking car and i actually saw one in my area not too long ago. But for the price tag i would honestly rather a genesis or something of that nature. I would even take a 350z roadster over it. I will be test driving one shortly though. I want to see what it can do.
Old 05-09-2012, 06:54 PM
Jon
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

Do I want one? Yes. Eager to trade? Not so much. I'll probably wait on the 2014 MY.
Old 05-09-2012, 07:47 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SL Member

I like it but I dont want to start over. Maybe wait a few years until they are cheap, everyone is parting them out and all the bugs are worked out.
Old 05-09-2012, 07:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Saw one on the road today. Looks/sounds better on paper than in person. But that may be because I wasn't in the driver seat
Old 05-09-2012, 08:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member
MN Scions

I like the FRS but there are a few reasons why I probably (not ruling out) wont get one...

1. My tC is almost paid off

2. My next vehicle will need to be something with 4 doors, whether its a truck or car just for something more practical

3. If I do get another tuner it will be a Honda or a DSM, something cheap that I can build on.

4. If I'm spending that kind of money I want it to come with a turbo
Old 05-09-2012, 11:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ive got too much invested in my TC....with all the power and suspension mods ive got, I would bet money I could get around a track or down a quarter mile faster than stock FRS/BRZ.

The real problem I have is this:

Stock FRS ~$25,500 Stock BRZ~$27,500

Or....... Stock Base Model Nissan 370z~$30,000

So the question is.....Why would I spend $27k for a BRZ when for $3k more I could start with a brand new 370z, which is a much more potent platform?.....it begs the question, and I can't think of a good answer
Old 05-09-2012, 11:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ColonelSanders85
Ive got too much invested in my TC....with all the power and suspension mods ive got, I would bet money I could get around a track or down a quarter mile faster than stock FRS/BRZ.

The real problem I have is this:

Stock FRS ~$25,500 Stock BRZ~$27,500

Or....... Stock Base Model Nissan 370z~$30,000

So the question is.....Why would I spend $27k for a BRZ when for $3k more I could start with a brand new 370z, which is a much more potent platform?.....it begs the question, and I can't think of a good answer
agreed plus i really do love the 370z. if i was going to buy another car that would be what i would get.
Old 05-10-2012, 12:06 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^ AGREED haha
Old 05-10-2012, 12:26 AM
Jon
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

$30k is used C6 Vette territory. Non Z06, but I'd take one of those over a Z.
Old 05-10-2012, 01:55 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

not worth trading the MY11 WRX for...
Old 05-10-2012, 02:09 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

no, IF i got one it would be in addition to what i already have and not my daily driver. it would most likely have to be an RS too if i really wanted to buy one, still might get a camaro ss though.
Old 05-10-2012, 02:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I like it, I like that there are already companies with a full line of products out for it, but I just don't think I could bring my self to own one.

However I must say, that Toyota and Subaru did a bang up job on the overall design of the car. I was able to look one over the other day (BRZ) and really liked what I seen. And with the rotary rx8 being dropped from Mazda (maybe the entire rx8 in a whole), this seems like the car that will win over the rx8 market, a handful of subi owners who were let down my the recent design changes to the wrx/imprezza, and should really push Scion sales back into the numbers of the xb1 days.
Old 05-10-2012, 05:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by stenger
I like it, I like that there are already companies with a full line of products out for it, but I just don't think I could bring my self to own one.

However I must say, that Toyota and Subaru did a bang up job on the overall design of the car. I was able to look one over the other day (BRZ) and really liked what I seen. And with the rotary rx8 being dropped from Mazda (maybe the entire rx8 in a whole), this seems like the car that will win over the rx8 market, a handful of subi owners who were let down my the recent design changes to the wrx/imprezza, and should really push Scion sales back into the numbers of the xb1 days.
x2^^ I agree with all this as well. They did do a bang up job on it, the problem is that the demographic/price point that they are shooting for ($26k give or take) is right in the middle of "Never Never Land." They should be able to sell everything that is in the FRS now for around $21,000, which would be perfect for what you are getting; a fun to drive, balanced, medium-powered entry level sports car.
OR....alternatively, they could have put a 6-piston TRD big brake kit on it, a TRD supercharger bumping it up to 300hp, HID headlights, 18x9 Enkei RPF1's with sticky tires, and high-end electronics/stereo in it, and charged $30,000 for it, which would allow it to compete with the 370z.

......But they didn't do either of those things. They did what Toyota always does, which is try to find the vanilla middle, make everyone happy, which in all actuality makes no one happy. I mean the FRS has PRIUS TIRES ON IT for christ sake So where does that leave us? It leaves us around $26k....just expensive enough to where you can't justify spending $7K more than a brand new TC costs, or alternatively, just expensive enough to where you can't justify not spending $3k~$4k more and getting yourself a 370z.

.....which is stupid IMHO
Old 05-10-2012, 01:27 PM
Jon
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

There's no way I'd buy a tC with this on the lot. If I couldn't afford the $140 difference in monthly car payments, I'd just have to wait.

Wheel/tire choice is irrelevant. I'd rather them put steelies and economy tires on it and take $1000 off the price. It's not like those ghastly stockies will stay on it anyway. They need to offer a Spec package.
Old 05-10-2012, 02:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

From last weekend's Subaru meet.

It was cool, but nothing exciting. The motor is incredibly easy to work on with a decent amount of room. The SOA driver was 6' tall, and to drive he had the seat touching the rear seat. So the rear seats are really a complete waste.

The STI BRZ version is rumored to have C/F hood and roof, a few other light weight items, and a more aggressive tune. Not a lot of room for a turbo in there, maybe a procharger.

Quick Reply: Anyone else itching to trade in their tC for an FRS/BRZ?