Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

auto vs. 5spd

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2004, 07:26 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default auto vs. 5spd

i'm looking at a flint tc with side airbags as soon as i can my hands on one. but before that, i need to choose between auto or manual. i'm not the one that needs convincing though, its my dad. personally i want the stick so please throw out some pros and cons for auto vs stick.
Old 06-23-2004, 07:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team Sushi
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scion Evolution

man, do a search. This has been discussed extensively for the xA/xB, and it's the same debate, even applied to the tC.

Basically, full performance/economy, go manual
Most practical, go auto, especially if you have lots of traffic
But if you get manual and hate it, you will suffer
If you get auto and hate it, you will deal.

Some argue some other controversial junk, but that's the jist of it, it's been that way for years, and it hasn't changed a whole hell of a lot. It might sometime soon, but not yet.
Old 06-23-2004, 07:34 AM
Wes
5 Year Member
SL Member

This one girls dad at my school made her get a stick truck, she said "Yea, he got me a stick because he wants me to pay attention when I drive, and not get distracted with a cell phone or make up or something..." So you can tell him, 'yea if I get a stick, I cant talk on a cell or put on make up when I drive cuz I would have to shift, and that will help me pay attention to the road."

You can tell him the manual is cheaper... although insurance will be slightly higher.

Or just straight up say "Yo pops, I dont want no automatic, automatic is fo' whimps yo"

EDIT: If you live in san fran, get the auto cuz of those crazy hills.
Old 06-23-2004, 07:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team Sushi
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scion Evolution

I'm not homo-bashin, but you could threaten to turn ___ if you buy auto if you really want it. . . after-all, it's the number one fear for the majority of fathers. But seriously, Dad's are stubborn, good luck convincing him. If you're getting a flat out race car, or a car that's underpowered, I'd understand the case from your side, but considering the "grown up" perspective, he's got a really solid case. Assuming you are a new driver, since your dad has a big say, you really should be in an auto, no offense. And since you want to convince him, you probably don't want to gather any cons either.
The biggest case you can realistically make against him, is to say that the manual is slightly better in gas mileage(in the xA/xB this doesn't apply, I"m not sure about the tC) but in most cases it's true. Site the soaring gas prices, and how much he will have to pay in gas, and your potential "huge" savings. Also site that with engine braking, you won't have to replace brake pads as often, which are the most commonly replaced parts, along with air filters, oil & filters, and tires. It'll be a "substantial" savings. If he brings the clutch arguement on you, say that Toyota clutches have been known to outlast the car(if you don't abuse it). This is all absolute crap, but it will help your case. Realistically the only reason you would want a manual is for performance gains, that's about it. Speak "dad" talk, speak "money savings." You will win.
Old 06-23-2004, 11:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Manual tranny = A drivers car
Auto tranny = A grocery getter'

On a serious note... Manual you have more control of the car. Especially during mountain driving, acceleration, etc.

Also, everyone should know how to drive manual, because you never know when you might have to be a DD and take someone home in their car... it never fails, it will be a manual.

Choice is yours, but real cars don't come with auto's... dig up Henry Ford and ask him.
Old 06-23-2004, 01:29 PM
5 Year Member

the car gets better gas mileage with an automatic thats kinda odd.
Mileage Estimates (MPG City / Highway)
Manual 22/29
Automatic 23/30
Old 06-23-2004, 03:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

manual for me. i can never drive a auto, way too boring.
Old 06-23-2004, 03:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: auto vs. 5spd

Originally Posted by integsrtite
i'm looking at a flint tc with side airbags as soon as i can my hands on one. but before that, i need to choose between auto or manual. i'm not the one that needs convincing though, its my dad. personally i want the stick so please throw out some pros and cons for auto vs stick.
Your dad doesn't want you to drive fast or stall when you miss a gear, that's why he wants an auto. Can't blame him for being worried about those things. BTW, why do you want a manual? Are the reasons you want it the same reasons he wants an auto?
Old 06-23-2004, 04:19 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I get so sick of the "Manual is a drivers car" talk. I love to drive and guess what? I drive an auto. I also live in a big city with a lot of traffic. I don't want to have to worry about switching gears all the time. It's one less thing I have to worry about. What's wrong with that?

You guys go get off on shoving around a phalic symbol with your right hand. I think I am going to just sit back, relax, and drive.
Old 06-23-2004, 04:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Nope you're wrong. I used to use your exact same argument until I got my first manual... and I will never go back.

If you like driving, get a manual. Stop rationalizing and just do it.

The gears become second nature, you won't even think about it in traffic.

There's nothing "wrong" with driving automatic, but don't pretend its the same. Because it's not. And somewhere, deep down inside, you know that.
Old 06-23-2004, 04:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

manual isnt hard to drive at all. once you have mastered first gear. all the other gears is easy. with an auto, it is harder to control which gear you want to be in. like if you want to down shift, all you can do is slam the gas. and what fun is that? but as for manual, you control exactly where you want to be in the rpm range and when you want to shift.
Old 06-23-2004, 05:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

all this auto manual talk. I can't decide darn it!
Old 06-23-2004, 05:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default ...

Stick...

It's kewler to drive stick ;p

But really... It's fun to downshift and then floor it in a manual when your cruising on the highway to pass someone... Then go threw all the gears... Man thats fun...

Doing it in an auto is... Boring... Woop-de-f-ing-do... You mash on the gas... And thats pretty much it...
Old 06-23-2004, 06:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yea but the manual tC doesn't have that cool template, grid, thing the atomatic tC has. The manual just has a shoe I believe its called. If it had the cool grid thing I'd get a manual. :D cos I'd be shifting in style.
Old 06-23-2004, 06:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by cornfield
The manual just has a shoe I believe its called.
I believe that it's called a boot, not that its important

I live in New York, and automatic is the only thing for me to get. So judge by what is more convenient for you and not what is cooler.
Old 06-23-2004, 06:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well that shoe is the only thing in the way of me getting a manual.
Old 06-23-2004, 06:18 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by djct_watt
man, do a search. This has been discussed extensively for the xA/xB, and it's the same debate, even applied to the tC.
i did a google search but it didn't gimme the response i wanted; my bad, i forgot about the other forums. btw, thanks for all these responses.

i live in the bay area, so traffic can get slow at times, but nothing compared to LA traffic... cars in the fast lane( not carpool ) would still average around 60.
about fuel economy, does anyone know how accurate the estimated figures are? its hard to believe that the automatic is getting more unless it was a very good design and the manual transmission was a piece of crap. he already knows a manual saves gas so i could just bring it up, no convincing there needed.

Originally Posted by TrafficinLA
Your dad doesn't want you to drive fast or stall when you miss a gear, that's why he wants an auto. Can't blame him for being worried about those things. BTW, why do you want a manual? Are the reasons you want it the same reasons he wants an auto?
i want a manual for the control. for example, on an old 93 accord auto, when trying to downshift before making a lane change on the freeway, i find myself getting no response or a late response by just slamming on the pedal. i got sick of that and just slammed the transmission from D4 to D3... which can't be good for the tranny. which is fine cause that's a beater car anyways but i wouldn't wanna be doing that on the tc.

Originally Posted by TheBigGuyRy
If you like driving, get a manual. Stop rationalizing and just do it.
i love driving.

any other points besides gas mileage and lower cost of the car?
Old 06-23-2004, 06:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

4 years ago i bought my focus with an auto. had to cuz my moms car was going to be in the shop for a month while it waited on a part from germany. to this day, my mom has driven my car ONE time. i've regreted every single day for not getting a 5spd. hopefully you don't make the same mistake i did.
Old 06-23-2004, 06:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default ...

Insurance isn't exactly higher for manuals either...

Since the car is 800 dollars cheaper and most manual drivers tend to be better experienced drivers... They might actually get a cheaper insurance quote then automatics...

The fact that the automatic for the tC is sportshift-like helps the manual insurance rate... My guess is that in most cases it will be lower then automatic for tC
Old 06-23-2004, 06:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

tell your dad its better if you get a manual now and live life, because as soon you get married and have kids you'll have his and hers automatics.

i'm pretty sure he's worried that you'll race a manual car more than a auto.

Quick Reply: auto vs. 5spd