Notices
Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

Beginner Planning Some Work

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2017, 03:36 AM

Default Beginner Planning Some Work

Good afternoon ScionLife,

i felt like posting here here and if anyone happens to see that I'm making a regrettable mistake they will correct me before it's too late!

im planning on doing some work on my car in the next couple weeks (will be my first beyond brake changes)

I am planning on doing:
1. Purchase new directional tires
2. Sand and Paint stock rims black (have some curb rash to sand out)
3. Clean and Paint stock Brake Calipers
4. Install some new brakes
5. Purchase some used Tein-S lowering springs and install (4K miles on them)
6. Solid exterior cleaning, waxing, polishing to protect paint (seems to be chipping in very few areas)

i figure total for tires, springs, some tools, paint would be about $700 max and attempt to do all in 4 days (rims should be dry after all that)
Old 02-16-2017, 05:07 PM

Whats the mileage on your car?
I was going to get TEIN lowering springs too but at 119K, I was persuaded to get coilovers because depending on the condition and how old your struts are, they might go sooner and you would have to take them back out and replace them.

I got a set of TEIN Street Basis Z Coilovers for about $450.00 and so far they are pretty awesome. Threw on an ebay front tower strut bar I got for $35 too since I had the struts out anyways.
Old 02-16-2017, 05:44 PM

My car is pretty high in miles at 155k, doing some further research it looks like I should not get lowering springs until I purchase some struts Some performance struts look to be $500-$600 while the springs are $100.

I am not as familiar with coilovers, do coilovers generally come with struts and an all in one? in that case hunting down some performance coilovers may be about the same price as Struts + Springs?
Old 02-16-2017, 05:59 PM

Coilovers should include struts and springs. The ones I got are not complete which makes them a bit cheaper:

https://www.redline360.com/tein-coil...tc-GSL52-8USS2

They are cheaper because they use your some of your OEM strut parts to put onto these like the top hats. Coilovers allow you to adjust the height of your car and provide a stiffer ride to help against body roll.

There are several brands you can go with if you're on a budget. There are forums on that too and I heard Raceland brand is decent. Just depends on your preference.