Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

Big paint problem (pics)

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2004, 06:30 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Big paint problem (pics)

Okay, I took off the bra after 2 weeks for a handwash and theres paint damage. I purchased the bra because the Tc's paint sucks in the first place. I had over 20 paint chips in the first 2 weeks!

Anyways, I have an appointment to take it into the dealership. They better cover this ____! I was a professional detailer for several years...I tried compund with no luck. Paints not burnt...bra didn't rub the paint. A big color change that can even be noticed in a picture!!...and that's bad.

Dealership will send a rep to look at it in 4-6 weeks (In other words when hell freezes over).

This is a real paint problem! Its not my fault. Bra was on for a 2 week trip.

Help!!!! My tc's turning into a ____box!!! I still love it, but I ain't happy.

tell me toyotaa will fix this.....

Do I really have to upgrade to show photos??
Someone please post them if they won't display.

Okay here's the picture links

http://scion.20megsfree.com/photo.html
Old 12-23-2004, 06:42 AM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
DelMarVa

Default Re: Big paint problem (pics)

Originally Posted by shimmy
Help!!!! My tc's turning into a ____box!!! tell me toyotaa will fix this.....
don't hate on the xB like that. jk

sorry to hear that, hope all goes well. why don't you go to the dealer instead of them coming to you?
Old 12-23-2004, 07:42 AM
5 Year Member

i have paint problems too.

I seem to have water marks that are under the clear coat making it seem like the paint in those areas is lighter and i have like drippy paint on my hood.

both of these are located on my hood by the way
Old 12-23-2004, 07:53 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by daemonite

I seem to have water marks that are under the clear coat making it seem like the paint in those areas is lighter and i have like drippy paint on my hood.

Does your paint look like mine? What have you done to fix it?
Old 12-23-2004, 07:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yeah that sucks! I know that a friend had an old 94 civic hatchback and he had that bra on for like a year.. we took it off and saw something similar to the paint.. i buffed and buffed using rubbing compound I got it better.. but yours being that new.. definitely call scion and complain.. that's crazy.. it was THEIR bra that did that.. definitely covered.
Old 12-23-2004, 08:02 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

For some reason, I don't think I'm gonna be the last one to complain about paint problems.
Old 12-23-2004, 08:29 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

yea, I saw a guy today at the dealership with an xb, his paint was just peeling off... he's only had his car a year
Old 12-23-2004, 01:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Is it really that bad? I have the same silver streak as you. Ive only had it for a month. And looking at your pictures got me a little concerned.
Old 12-23-2004, 01:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

This should be covered under the normal 3 year/36,000 mile warranty. However, YOU will have to be the one who has to do all the legwork and telephone calls/letters. Make sure you send letters with return receipt so you have "proof". Personally I would not tell them about the bra as they will try to justify the problem by the bra and NOT fix.

Good luck.

Kevin
Old 12-23-2004, 03:33 PM
5 Year Member

Default TC Paint

i have notice a coupe of chips in my paint already after only having the damn thing 1 month....

sucks!!! is the paint they are using that week or just dumb bad luck ?
Old 12-23-2004, 07:44 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm not sure how they paint scions, seems like they just spray sealer, then paint w/out primer. mainly watch your polyura kit on the xb closely. Any bubbles or signs of wear hall a$$ to the dealer. (Paint chips will happen when rocks n stuff fly in the air from cars & semi's, I wouldn't worry about that too much. Just get it to a detailer asap.) If you bought the bra at the dealership tell them about the bra, if not DON'T just like fearturtle44 said! But, unless your paint is peeling you dont have too much to worry about.
-chris
Old 12-23-2004, 07:46 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

well......besides discoloration......
Old 12-23-2004, 08:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If you're really interested in protecting the front of your tC from chips and such I highly recommend these products.

Buddy of mine at work got the kit applied to his C6 Vette and you can hardly tell it's there. Also, some installers will give you a lifetime warranty on them.

I'm not saying the traditional bra is bad but, I also spent several years as a professional detailer at a high end car dealer and I've seen the damage they can do.

But, paint fading after 2 weeks of use is at the extereme and Toyota should make it right. Or, just get a carbon fiber hood. :twisted:
Old 12-23-2004, 08:52 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Captain tC
Is it really that bad? I have the same silver streak as you. Ive only had it for a month. And looking at your pictures got me a little concerned.
I got mine in late August...I always thought people were full of crap. The bra is from the dealership.
Old 12-23-2004, 09:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by daemonite

Try heating up hyour pain with a hairdryer or heat gun. It's possible your dealership missed this during PDI. There's a TSB (gasp) regarding water being trapped under the repguard protection on your car that is used during shipping. By heating the paint, you evaporate the water that was trapped, making the water spots disappear. It's possible that the water also caused the runny looking paint, heating it can also solve this problem in a lot of cases. Please be careful not to MELT the paint by overheating it. Keep the heat source approx. 6-10 inches from the surface and move it constantly. You should see the marks fade away. Of course, you can take it back to the dealer and have them search for the TSB and cover the fix under warranty.
Old 12-23-2004, 10:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: Big paint problem (pics)

Okay, I took off the bra after 2 weeks for a handwash and theres paint damage. I purchased the bra because the Tc's paint sucks in the first place. I had over 20 paint chips in the first 2 weeks!

Anyways, I have an appointment to take it into the dealership. They better cover this ____! I was a professional detailer for several years...I tried compund with no luck. Paints not burnt...bra didn't rub the paint. A big color change that can even be noticed in a picture!!...and that's bad.

Dealership will send a rep to look at it in 4-6 weeks (In other words when hell freezes over).

This is a real paint problem! Its not my fault. Bra was on for a 2 week trip.

Help!!!! My tc's turning into a ____box!!! I still love it, but I ain't happy.

tell me toyotaa will fix this.....

Do I really have to upgrade to show photos??
Someone please post them if they won't display.

Okay here's the picture links

http://scion.20megsfree.com/photo.html
If your going to insult the xB- then I hope you have to pay for the paint job out of your own pocket!!!
Old 12-23-2004, 10:36 PM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

I don't think he insulted the xB (unless you consider you ride a sh!tbox). I think he was saying the car is looking like crap--the hood anyway.
shimmy good luck on getting your problem fixed.
Old 12-24-2004, 12:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have a copy of the TSB from Toyota. Mine has the exact same "stains" on it. I had some clear headlight film installed, and the use of a heat gun in the area of the hood around the headlights seemed to do the trick. I have issues with the overall paint integrity of the tC, as my car was hit by a marble-sized "mud ball" from a passing truck while driving on the freeway, and the paint was subsequently scratched.

I am planning on having a clear bra installed, so hopefully that will remedy at least a part of the problem.
Old 12-24-2004, 01:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

For some reason, I don't think I'm gonna be the last one to complain about paint problems.
For some reason, I think you'll be the one to complain the most.

Seriously, it'd help for you to go over the steps you've done to take the issue to the dealer, your conversations with Scion corporate, etc. You've had the problem long enough, you should have had it looked at and acted on by now!

P.S.: Your photo "host" doesn't seem to like you linking to there from here.
Old 12-24-2004, 02:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Why cant i see the pics? Its Forbidden it says? WTF?

Edit?> sorry, did not see the link,

Quick Reply: Big paint problem (pics)