2005-2010 [ANT10]

bummed out about stick shift

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2005, 03:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default bummed out about stick shift

i got my scion tc yesterday..well, i stalled it a total of 4 times that day, once on the road home and 3 times practicing my hills. well, today i was doing awesome, i stalled it once in a parking lot because i was being a jackass (i was trying to hockeystop the car into a parking spot, it's ok, the lot was empty) then on the way home, i stalled it on a slight hill (i had it, i just didn't keep the revs up)...i stalled it at a stopsign too, i wasn't thinking, i was changing a cd.

ok...i'm really bummed out that i'm stuck with this car with a stick shift. i wish i could go back to the dealership and drop this one off (it's only got 110 miles on it) and lay down an extra $1000 or so for the automatic. i mean, yeah, it's fun to drive...when theres no traffic and hills to stop on. only awesome thing about today is that i conquered my hill that i was so afraid of. i find the ebrake method to be the easiest. i can use the regular brake method, but i need about 2 feet to roll back. i wish clutches didn't wear out so i could just pedal clutch it the whole time.

well, at least i've gotten alot better with shifting and not bumping it into gear. i know it's only been 2 days, i guess i just need some encouragement. thanks guys
Old 01-21-2005, 03:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Don't give up after 2 days man, like your SL name says, never give in. I wish I had a MT instead of this AT, but darn parentals and their ultimatums.
Old 01-21-2005, 03:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

This thread is pretty much pointless. You shouldnt have bought a stick if you dont know how to drive one. But in other words dont give up its not that bad, you'll get used to it in no time. A stick is the funnest to drive
Old 01-21-2005, 03:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

How old are you all anyway?
Old 01-21-2005, 03:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

17 turning 18 soon enough... don't worry, my next car will definately be a manual
Old 01-21-2005, 03:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i'll be 22 in april...thanks dudes...i'll just keep on trying with it. stick shift was so easy when i test drove the car, no hills...and i've driven stick before in a car with a slipping clutch...it was so easy, never had to worry about bumping it when shifting. i never attempted hills in that car though...it couldn't handle them. i'll keep trying.
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by PunkInDrublic
17 turning 18 soon enough... don't worry, my next car will definately be a manual
If you just got a tc not to long ago why would you already be talking about getting a new car?
5 Year Member
SL Member

you'll get used to it soon...then you will be glad you have the stick

just remember..........you used to ____ and ____ on yourself, but time passed and now you have learned not to

it's kinda like that
Old 01-21-2005, 03:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Cause I can't hold unto anything for long... and I won't be getting a new one for 2-4 years.
Old 01-21-2005, 03:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by therotman
you'll get used to it soon...then you will be glad you have the stick

just remember..........you used to ____ and ____ on yourself, but time passed and now you have learned not to

it's kinda like that
lmao
Old 01-21-2005, 04:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by xnevergiveinx
i'll be 22 in april...thanks dudes...i'll just keep on trying with it. stick shift was so easy when i test drove the car, no hills...and i've driven stick before in a car with a slipping clutch...it was so easy, never had to worry about bumping it when shifting. i never attempted hills in that car though...it couldn't handle them. i'll keep trying.
We'll I can tell you from experience that the tC is probably one of the easiest sticks to learn. Its a little sensitive so just dont let go of the clutch so fast. Ease into it while accelerating and try not to go under 1.5 to 2 rpms
Old 01-21-2005, 04:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

i agree wit lilman it is a very easy as long as you don't drop under rpms take a day off from every thing and just go into an empty parking lot and just practice all day and after you think ur getting the hang of it do it some more you'll love it after you got a hang of it
Old 01-21-2005, 05:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scion Corps
Scikotics
DeepSouth Scions
SL Member

dont give up, you will get the hang of if. For tips you can search for them. on hills if you have to its ok to pull the e-brake give a little gas till you feel the car pull then release the brake.
hang in there, have fun w/ it, and good luck.
Old 01-21-2005, 05:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Here's some motivation.

I taught my g/f how to drive stickshift in a local park that has lots of paths. Stall, after stall, after stall, after stall.

She got the hang of it after a few weeks, practicing only 2-3 a week for 15-30 mins. She is now a great driver...

Needless to say, the first time with her with traffic, I was scared for my life...and then one year later, I had to change the clutch in my celica

You will love the manual's potential over an automatic soon enough. I would say good luck, but I don't think you will need any.
Old 01-21-2005, 01:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

practice = nuff said
Old 01-21-2005, 02:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I sold a 18 yr old girl a stick. When she came in, she couldn't even get the car out of first. After a 30mintue lesson, and 2 test drives she fell in love, and took the car home. Now after 3 months, she driving manual like a pro, with no regrets.

Just hang in there man, it takes practice, but once u get the hang of it, you'll be glad you got a 5speed.

No man between the ages of 16-30 should buy a AT, if they can help it.

"real men drive stick"
Old 01-21-2005, 02:25 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

DOOOODE dont give up a stick shift car......ull love after a while.....i was the same way when i got my first stick shift......only took me like a month to get it all down.
Old 01-21-2005, 02:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
N.G.S.O.

I thought I was hopeless even after 2 months (granted my daily commute is 2x2miles, but still...). Anyway, I kept pushing myself, and now, 6 months later, I can't be happier. Traffic, hills - who cares - I don't think when I shift - it's all reflexes now.

Couple of weeks ago I was giving a ride to a couple of my friends that I haven't seen in a year - they did not know I had stick untill the guy who was riding in the back noticed the shifter when he was getting out.
Old 01-21-2005, 02:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by xnevergiveinx
Well from your first post you sound 14!

Keep trying!
Old 01-21-2005, 06:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

That's too bad that you believed all this hype about the "huge"differences between an auto tranny and a stick. Besides the differences being nominal, those numbers were done by professionals, of course everyone thinks they drive like a pro but...

I bet none of you guys use your intermittent wiper setting either... Why give up that control when you can turn them on as needed?

Quick Reply: bummed out about stick shift