Notices
Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

To buy or NOT to buy a tC? PLZZ HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2006, 09:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default To buy or NOT to buy a tC? PLZZ HELP!

Hello everyone. I am new here. I have read a few threads but decided to ask for opinions. I am MADLY IN LOVE WITH THE Super White tC. I dream about it and bore people by always including it in our conversations.
My questions is: should I buy it?

Here is my situation.
I will be 25 in 2 weeks May 7th. (therefore cheaper insurance than being 24)
Single and living with my parents. (not many bills)
We are regular income. But I say we're poor. hehehe
I work full-time as a designer. I'll be OK with payments. Not worried. been saving for down payment. No one will help me with my car, it's all me.

BUT.
I work downtown. so I commute by train daily and have no need for a new car.
BUT I AM IN LOVE with THE tC. (it's a WANT not a NEED)

I have NO GARAGE (not great for a new car) I would have to park outside. It's a regular neighborhood NOT GREAT but not Horrible...something might happen to it..or not. who knows.

I go out all day on weekends with my bf on his car but I know if I get my tC that's what we'll be using every weekend. I know he'll want to drive it a lot thought I know.

I AM SOOO IN LOVE with my tC.

I bought the special edition JADA tC. and am currently waiting for the 4 tCs that are sold together. i can't wait to receive them. It's my own B-Day gift.

I've NEVER owned a new car before and never planned on owning one...BUT I'm IN LOVE with my tC!!! I fell in love since the 2005 tC came out...

Now my questions:

Should I get a tC? or would it be a waste of $$.
It will have very few miles in the future since I will only take it out on the weekends.
and I would basically be paying a lot of $$$ to have it in front of my house and paying insurance on it..just because I LOVE IT. is it worth it? am I crazy?

Should I wait until I really need it in the future, then I would get a newer and better model.

Should I wait until the 2007 model?
Also, if I get it now..and need it in a few years, I'll be used to my payment so it wouldn't be to hard when I really do need it. And if I do it now, should I wait for 2007? or get the 2006? (I'm sure the 07' will be more $)
Accessories, I would just like the exhaust and iPod player. And would need an ALARM cause I have no garage, but here that an aftermarket would be best.

I don't know much about cars, what I know is only what i have read on tCs so I'm not a car junky. Just love this car so much. Maybe I'm just nuts.
Maybe it's a dream that I should pursue when I'm older, more ready and with more responsibilities. Maybe I should wait. But i love that car sooo much to wait. but then again, I don't need it.

I test drove it about 3 months ago, but not that I needed to, i know I'm gonna like it comparing it to my 1994 Chrysler Concord. (which will die in a few more months)

Well just need to get this out of my chest.
Everyone around me tells me to save my $$ for a house, for my future and that I don't need it right now. My dad tells me the same, but will support me.

Thank you for whomever actually read everything here I wrote. It's a bit long and I apologize for that...I'm just so crazy for this car. All i know is that ONE DAY...ONE DAY...IT WILL BE MINE.

Thank you in advanced. Hope someone can shed some light on me.

_______

Last edited by MR_LUV; 04-20-2019 at 12:14 PM. Reason: Awarded 10 Yr Badge
Old 04-26-2006, 10:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If you can honestly say you don't NEED a car (not even to run errands and go out once in a while or go for a drive) - then I would say don't get it.

On the other hand... if you REALLY want to have one and can maintain it and pay for it, and such... then get it.
Old 04-26-2006, 10:42 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

I say dont buy the car

Especially with the price of gas, insurance, payments, and general upkeep. Unless you REALLY need a car, i would say hold off until you are really financially secure enough.

I just have a question....
How can you love YOUR tC when you dont have one yet? lol
Old 04-26-2006, 10:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Since you don't need the car, i say don't get it.. cars depreciate while houses appreciate.. right when you drive out of the dealer, the car's value goes down, but something about the blue book said it will be more.. hmm i don't know.. But anyways, if you just want a car to cruise around, just get a camry or something reliable and cheap.. save your money for later.. that's what i would do.
Old 04-26-2006, 10:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: to buy or NOT to buy da TC. PLZZ HELP!

Originally Posted by meee_tc
Hello everyone. I am new here. I have read a few threads but decided to ask for opinions. I am MADLY IN LOVE WITH THE super ____e TC. .
First question....what is Super ____e? I don't think I want to see THAT color!
Ok...ok...I know it was a typo, but a good funny one!

Seriously, though, I might wait if in your current situation...but mostly for this reason.
Do you notice how many cars parked along the streets in Chicago have paint rubs, broken lamps, missing mirrors, etc? I think you would be real sick the first time you came out and your baby had a scuff on her. You live in a great city with an awesome public transportation system, so you don't really need a car, either.
I would wait until you live somewhere you can at least park it inside when at home.
I know it's difficult when you see a car, motorcycle, or whatever that you really want, but are unsure whether it's a good idea. The drive/desire for a cool car is hard to overcome. It was terrible for me when I was only making $7 an hour and could only afford a $3000 car.
About the tC itself, I recommend it to anybody that asks
Old 04-26-2006, 11:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionTific

SL Member

Don't buy the tC if you are not going to drive it. It doesn't make sense to spend $18,000+ on something you won't use when your financial situation isn't stabile enough for you to get your own pad. I've been down that road, trust me. Your own apartment/house is far more important than a hot car.
Old 04-26-2006, 11:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Honestly IMO i say dont get it. YOU KNOW HOW CROWDED IT IS DOWNTOWN!!! i mean youll have the hardest time finding parking.. hardest time driving around in traffic.. and plus its not really a need since you commute by train.. id say just save your money and when its really a need for a tC then get it.. otherwise dont..
Old 04-26-2006, 11:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

I think you should save you money and get your own place. I would rather live on my own then have car payments.
Old 04-27-2006, 12:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

i think you should do whatever makes you happy...but remember that there could be consequences because of your decisions and if you're not in a good financial situation, then why bother...but it's up to u
Old 04-27-2006, 12:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

yeah honestly dont get the tC work on getting on your own first then worry about a new car or not....
Old 04-27-2006, 03:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i'll be the odd man out... BUY THE DAMN TC... U'LL LOVE IT EVEN MORE WHEN U OWN IT.. the tC tends to grow on people.. how can you put a price on pure enjoyment?
Old 04-27-2006, 04:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: to buy or NOT to buy da TC. PLZZ HELP!

Originally Posted by meee_tc
Hello everyone. I am new here. I have read a few threads but decided to ask for opinions. I am MADLY IN LOVE WITH THE super ____e TC...Blah..blah...blah...
You have diarrhea of the nag. j/k!

I have to agree with most peeps here: don't buy one. You will probably use the Jada tCs more than a new tC. Without a garage, weather will be a b%tch on your car in the winter. But, like your shoes or your handbags (most women have quite a few of both), "it's a WANT not a NEED." Good luck in your decision.
Old 04-27-2006, 04:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Don't bother...It's a waste of money. Save for something more important than a car.
Old 04-27-2006, 05:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Don't be the kind of person who always get what they want! You got the dough, spend it on something else that you need right now, not on something you want right now. Put it into your savings and whenever you need it, get it.

Your parents are probably high-upper class, so getting a car will be no problem because they will always help you. If you get a car right now, you will have to deal with it for at least 3+ years plus insurance.

That is a pretty big committment. Who knows, you may not love the tC after a year and dump it like a boyfriend...but the catch is: you can't dump it!

I am getting my tC because I need it right now. My bro is going off to college, so he needs a car. I have had my '00 Corrolla for 4 years and I am letting him drive that so I need to get myself a new car.
Old 04-27-2006, 02:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scikotics
SL Member

Get out of your parent's house before you look at buying a brand new car.
Old 04-27-2006, 05:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

No, don't buy a brand new car just because you WANT it.
Buy a car when you NEED it.

If you are 25 and still live with your parent..... I don't think you really could afford a new car.
Old 04-27-2006, 10:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

WOW..these forums really work...I didn't think I was going to get many replies. Thanks a load. I'll think about all your advice..made me think a bit reading other people's point of views. Made me think....maybe I shouldn't get it...atleast not now. I mean hopefully it will still be there when I need it, and a better one too.

But I still don't know...you ALL have good points and great advice. My thoughts are, why not get it now because when I have my own place it will be harder to have one because of all my responsibilities. WHy not take advantage NOW that I don't have many responsibilities.

And NO. My parents would not help me pay it if I can't handle it. Their struggling themselves with our family and bills. My dad works to hard to give me $$ for my car. Especially $$ he does not have. I'll continue thinking about it. And if I decided to do it..maybe it would be sometime next year, summer. MAYBE, but knowing me most likely decided not to.

Maybe my own home would be more of a profit than some car. My JADA toys should be arriving tommorow. I can't wait. Maybe I'll have more fun with those.

Well thank you again for all your help.
It was a real EYE opener.

and someday maybe SOMEDAY....IT WILL BE MINE.
Old 04-27-2006, 10:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

buy a diecast one.......it will save you money
Old 04-28-2006, 12:36 AM
5 Year Member

SL Member

What worries me is that you said that your family is not in the best financial situation. Yet, you want to buy a car that is beyond your means, and will not be used enough to be worth your while.

I recommend not buying the car. Save the $20k over the next five years and purchase a piece of real estate. Hopefully by then you'll have more then $20,000 saved up... remember it is best to have 20% for a down payment... so $20k will only allow you to get a $100,000 condo without taking out a high interest second mortgage.

You really have to consider what you want in the future. Yes, you have the financial freedom now to purchase the car of your dreams, but how long will that set you back? I had the same dilema as you... I could have afforded my $35k BMW 325 as I also live at home, and also have not much bills to pay, and I could easily pay $500 a month on car payments... but, with all things considered, why not get something cheaper (like the tC in my case, or a used car and/or Yaris-type in your case), and start thinking about the future. I still pay $500 a month now on my tC, but it is a 2 year loan instead of a 5 year loan.

Good luck, I'll be interested to hear your decision... hopefully you'll make the right one.
Old 04-28-2006, 06:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

wow, that was the most SPASTIC post ive ever read. i feel like a girl just reading it!!

Anyway, i would not get it. a friend of mone just bought a new car a year ago, he lives in the city and he already has had 2 people side swipe hime and his front/rear bumper looks like crap because they bump into his car all the time. id wait it out

Quick Reply: To buy or NOT to buy a tC? PLZZ HELP!