Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

Buzzing/whining noise coming from rear

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2007, 04:39 PM
5 Year Member

Default Buzzing/whining noise coming from rear

Hey guys,

Last week, I started noticing a whining or buzzing noise coming from my rear passenger side wheel. It just started, out of the blue. I haven't hit any big pot holes, or done anything unusual. It sounds almost like I have an extra little electric motor humming in the back wheelwell, and at about 45 miles per hour it gets very annoying and the pitch gets higher and higher that faster I go. Have any of you guys had this problem and maybe know what it is? I figured I'd ask on here before I took it into the dealer next week.

Thanks!
Old 11-03-2007, 05:41 PM

could be your wheel bearing(job usually costs 80-150 per wheel) in one of your rear wheels especially if it get louder as you drive for an extended period of time on the road , also check your brakes and rotors and undercarriage for any crap that might be stuck there. does the car shake when at 45 or feel loose?
Old 11-04-2007, 03:57 AM
5 Year Member

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking, is a real wheel bearing, but I'm going to be REALLY dissapointed if it's a ball bearing at 21,000 miles. I did check under the car as best I could and the brakes, rotors and undercarriage all appeared normal. NO shaking or anything, it rides and handles fine, it just buzzes like a little electric motor humming. I'll post the findings on here. Thanks!
Old 11-04-2007, 05:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

maybe your tire pressures could be too low and causing enough friction to make them humm
Old 11-04-2007, 09:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by TNRRBEAR
Yeah, that's what I'm thinking, is a real wheel bearing, but I'm going to be REALLY dissapointed if it's a ball bearing at 21,000 miles. I did check under the car as best I could and the brakes, rotors and undercarriage all appeared normal. NO shaking or anything, it rides and handles fine, it just buzzes like a little electric motor humming. I'll post the findings on here. Thanks!
i've heard of other tC's having their wheel bearings fail. It's on here, just do a search you'll find them. It's kinda sad, that it's more than once. Probably get people on here telling me all about how "defects per 100" but still doesn't sit well with "Toyota quality" though.

Dealer should be able to replace the rear hub (it's an entire assembly that includes the lugs) for ya no charge.
Old 11-05-2007, 01:48 AM
5 Year Member

I checked the tire pressure and they are all four right around 32 lbs, which is right where they should be. At least if it is a bearing problem it should be covered under warranty. But, like you said, it's a sad testimony to Toyota Quality. I smell a Honda Civic in my future.
Old 11-05-2007, 07:48 PM
5 Year Member

Well, the dealer confirmed my suspicions. My '07 tC has a rear wheel bearing going out. It will be in the shop for the next two days as they had to order the part. Then this weekend, I'll be taking it to the honda dealer to trade it in on an '08 Civic EX-L with Nav.
Old 11-05-2007, 08:09 PM
SL Member

Well, the dealer confirmed my suspicions. My '07 tC has a rear wheel bearing going out. It will be in the shop for the next two days as they had to order the part. Then this weekend, I'll be taking it to the honda dealer to trade it in on an '08 Civic EX-L with Nav.
all because of a wheel bearing or have you been having other issues? if so what?
Old 11-05-2007, 08:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Wait does that noise sound like a cricket constantly chirping?? I have been hearing it too!! Holy s!@@# I better get it taken in. But those bastards will probably say it's because I lowered my car won't they?
Old 11-05-2007, 11:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well i didn't mean to say the entire tc was terrible, but hey if it doesn't make you feel good that the car had problems. I hope the civic makes you happy Just that if it makes you happier to get a civic, then by all means get one.
Old 11-06-2007, 12:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Screw that I wouldn't get a slower car but that's just me!!! Why leave dohc for sohc!?? 160hp>140hp. Unless he gets an si that is.
Old 11-06-2007, 04:31 AM
5 Year Member

Devious, the sound that my car made was comparable to a low buzzing/humming noise that came from the rear of the car on the passenger size. It didn't chirp, it sounded like a small electric or maybe a muffled two-cycle motor humming and it was synchronized to the turning of the wheel. The faster you went, the higher pitched the humming got.

As for trading for the Honda, I'm not really concerned about going fast, but with gas going over $3.00 a gallon again and projected to be over $4.00 a gallon by Christmas, I'd much rather have a Civic that averages 35 mpg all around, than the tC (which seems rather unreliable in my eyes now) that get's 25 mpg average all around. Plus, I've been wanting a voice activated Nav system and you can't get an aftermarket one put in a tC for less than $1800. SO, the Honda Civic EX-L (the L is new this year, stands for leather, which includes heated seat and heated power outside mirrors) with Navigation is a natural choice, especially since I'm more concerned with reliability and gas mileage.
Old 11-06-2007, 05:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ahh makes good sense I am sorry I forget that not everyone on this site really cares about speed. Plushiness is good also. Yes I must admit that the civic is looking like a good option for me too. but Definitely the SI. I just hate the fact that my car just rattles and squeaks like a 10 year old car. That isn't cool!! But yeah what I meant was it doesn't chirp it does sound like a little whirring noise that just gets louder but constant noise just like you describe. can anyone that's lowered answer my question before I go to the dealer tomorrow. Do you think that they will try to void my warranty because my car is dropped?
Old 11-06-2007, 05:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Devious, the sound that my car made was comparable to a low buzzing/humming noise that came from the rear of the car on the passenger size. It didn't chirp, it sounded like a small electric or maybe a muffled two-cycle motor humming and it was synchronized to the turning of the wheel. The faster you went, the higher pitched the humming got.

As for trading for the Honda, I'm not really concerned about going fast, but with gas going over $3.00 a gallon again and projected to be over $4.00 a gallon by Christmas, I'd much rather have a Civic that averages 35 mpg all around, than the tC (which seems rather unreliable in my eyes now) that get's 25 mpg average all around. Plus, I've been wanting a voice activated Nav system and you can't get an aftermarket one put in a tC for less than $1800. SO, the Honda Civic EX-L (the L is new this year, stands for leather, which includes heated seat and heated power outside mirrors) with Navigation is a natural choice, especially since I'm more concerned with reliability and gas mileage.
I definitely cannot argue with that logic, the fuel economy! That's one thing I am definitely disappointed about with the tC. With fuel going up and up.. 25-26mpg combined just doesn't seem right anymore. I've heard the new civic's get like 35-36mpg, not too bad at all! I still think we should have civics, that get in the 40 mpg range. We did in the 90's.

So hey, I really hope gas doesn't hit $4.00 since it's completely unjustified, just plain greed by the oil companies. It's not like regulators will stop this gouging. But as far as the Civic is concerned, i hope it works out for you. I really do.
Old 11-06-2007, 05:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Deviousjet
Do you think that they will try to void my warranty because my car is dropped?
devious- im still up.. I don't see why you're lowered they would try and claim that, especially if they were the ones who lowered your car. As long as the alignment numbers are "within specifications", then they have nothing to accuse you of. I could see if you rolled in with excessive camber, and balding tires. The balding tires on one edge would show the excessive camber. Then of course it would be putting a strain on the wheel bearing. But if you get resistance, insist on an alignment rack check, and show them it's within specs. They can argue all day about it, because if they do, they're not that smart. They should just do a visual check to see excessive camber, if not, go replace the wheel bearing under warranty.

Just sick of these toyota dealers and their made up excuses (lies). It's insane. Hope it works out for you though. They can't void your entire warranty because of lowering the car. You could totally have a small claims lawsuit against them if they tried to void your warranty (entire) based on just a wheel bearing? See that's the other thing, why only ONE bearing? why not all of them if the car is lowered? Shouldn't they all be bad if the lowering caused it? see my logic? it's clearly a defective wheel bearing.
Old 11-07-2007, 03:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Troy, you say the noise gets louder as you speed up. Does the noise ever dissappear and then come back again while you are highway driving? I think I have the same buzzing sound coming off my tC, but I thought it was all the rattaling that people have complained about.
Old 11-07-2007, 11:18 PM
5 Year Member

TCdestro, the sound does somewhat dissapear as you drop below 35 mph. Say if you're driving along a street with redlights, etc. as you get up around 40 mph you'll start hearing this buzzing coming from the back, and around 45 mph it seems to be the most audible. As the speed rises, the pitches gets higher and higher, which makes it a little less noticeable, but it's still there. I also had a rattle in my dash, just to the left of the gauge cluster and I ask them to check it out too. I pick the car up tomorrow, so I'll see if they got that rattle to stop. Boys, I guess Toyota just ain't what she used to be!

Troy
Old 11-08-2007, 07:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

TCdestro, the sound does somewhat dissapear as you drop below 35 mph. Say if you're driving along a street with redlights, etc. as you get up around 40 mph you'll start hearing this buzzing coming from the back, and around 45 mph it seems to be the most audible. As the speed rises, the pitches gets higher and higher, which makes it a little less noticeable, but it's still there. I also had a rattle in my dash, just to the left of the gauge cluster and I ask them to check it out too. I pick the car up tomorrow, so I'll see if they got that rattle to stop. Boys, I guess Toyota just ain't what she used to be!

Troy
WTF!!!! holy crap man....its like we have the same exact problems. I have a rattle behind the dash/gauge part as well. Let me know if the dealer was able to help you out with that so I can take mine in too.
Old 11-09-2007, 04:16 AM
5 Year Member

TCdestro, I got my tC back today. The buzzing noise is completely gone now, so it was definitely the rear wheel bearing on the passenger side. They also fixed the rattling noise just to the left of my gauge cluster. The report I got back from the dealer said they replaced my rear wheel bearing and secured the fuse panel door. Hope that helps!
Old 11-09-2007, 08:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

TCdestro, I got my tC back today. The buzzing noise is completely gone now, so it was definitely the rear wheel bearing on the passenger side. They also fixed the rattling noise just to the left of my gauge cluster. The report I got back from the dealer said they replaced my rear wheel bearing and secured the fuse panel door. Hope that helps!
^^ fuse door panel, just need some foam tape on the dash side and the removable panel side, that will stop it.. it's down low.

and tnrrbear, glad they weren't giving you excuses and fixed your car right the first time. Glad it's fixed now. Still going to trade it in for a civic?

Quick Reply: Buzzing/whining noise coming from rear