Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

Cant get used to clutch ><

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2005, 07:00 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Cant get used to clutch ><

I can never start right in 1st gear, and when I shift I dont know if I am releasing the clutch right ><
Anyone else have a hard time adapting? I used to drive a DSM, 1990 GSX.

Is the clutch really so different?
Ive only ever driven my eclipse and now this tc with a manual tranny.

EDIT: Rather than start a new thread, does anyone ever punch their center weather controls when they shift into third? Am I weird for doing that? =P
Old 09-04-2005, 07:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scion Corps
Scikotics
DeepSouth Scions
SL Member

just keep practicing, and remember if what your doing is not working (when you release the clutch) try something else, try at different times and the speed that you release it. you will get the hang of it.
Old 09-04-2005, 08:19 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks for the words of encouragment.
Hope I will getthe hang of it soon ><
Old 09-04-2005, 09:38 AM
5 Year Member
Scion Dynasty
SL Member

get off these boards and go ride around in the middle of the night. you'll learn. don't give up.
Old 09-04-2005, 12:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yeah, i had the same problem. spin up your engine a little, then let the clutch catch...see how low you can get it to catch. then do it about 100 times to simulate a single day's worth of shifting.

i just can't shift smoothing 1 to 2 without bumping it, still. this is my second 5 speed car too. the clutch is super catchy
Old 09-04-2005, 02:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Listen up. Here is a simple way of doing it.

Put the car into 1st gear. (remember to have your foot all the way down on the clutch when doing this)

DO NOT GIVE THE CAR ANY GAS.......

Very Slowly start to take your foot off the clutch. When the car starts to move, continue removing your foot from the clutch. Very slowly feed the car a bit of gas, till the car reaches 10 MPH.

Now TAKE YOUR FOOT OFF THE GAS PETAL, and CLUTCH AND SHIFT DOWN INTO 2nd gear. (Remove foot from clutch)

Feed a bit of gas and get the car to about 25-30 mph.

CLUTCH AGAIN ( REMEMBER WHEN CLUTCHING TO NEVER HAVE YOUR FOOT ON THE GAS PETAL)

Put shifter up into 3rd gear. Repeat all steps until 5th gear.

Remember when puting vehicle into 5th gear to throw shifter all the way over to the right and up, or you will accidently put the vehicle back into 3rd gear....

If you are still having problems, email me and I will try my best to help you out..
I have been driving a stick for 35 years......
Old 09-04-2005, 02:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The method I've come to use is similar to the one mentioned above, but...

1. Put clutch, shift to first.
2. Release the clutch probably about an inch and the car will slowly creep - keep the clutch at that point.
3. Apply some gas so that it goes faster.
4. Once the gas is making it go faster, smoothly release the clutch and apply more gas.

If you're having problems finding the point where the clutch engages, try pushing the clutch with the engine off. When you push it down, you can feel it go down smooth, but then you hit this resistence point / lump of some sort. When clutching, you'll want to be around there.
Old 09-04-2005, 02:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yeah, finding the friction point isn't that hard, j/keep practicing and u'll get it
Old 09-04-2005, 03:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by codycat

CLUTCH AGAIN ( REMEMBER WHEN CLUTCHING TO NEVER HAVE YOUR FOOT ON THE GAS PETAL)
Never? Maybe never full throttle but i'd say be on the gas a little bit. This drive by wire technology is a little unresposive, I keep a little gas on the pedal when i clutch just to keep my rpms up making it easier to rev match resulting in a smoother ride.
Old 09-04-2005, 03:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Club One
SL Member

I know I am posting in the wrong section about the wrong Scion vehicle, but I need to know. Do any of you guys know if the 2006 xB's are drive by wire?
Old 09-04-2005, 04:06 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I found that i gotta keep the revs around 3K to get a smooth launch, try that. The only problem is you chirp the tires on hills but who cares.
Old 09-04-2005, 04:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah this one to me seems hard to get used to. But then again it's probably me trying to shift to fast and then i throw ponies! But i found out if i take my time it's perfect HA!
Old 09-04-2005, 05:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

To "all4degame 16/M"

Yes as I stated above, never have your foot on the gas when using the clutch. The only thing this will accomplish is pre mature wearing out of the clutch.
And that will not be under warranty, and will cost a lot of money to replace.
Trust me on this. I'm not a 16/M
Old 09-04-2005, 05:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ok wait a minute..dont have your foot on the clutch when pressing the gas? Do you mean dont have your foot on the gas when releasing the clutch?

So in between shifing your just letting the clutch out and then pressing on the gas?
Old 09-04-2005, 05:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

That is correct.
Either way, you can not have your foot pressing on the clutch when feeding gas, or if you are feeding gas, your foot has to be off the clutch.

when the left foot goes down, you shift. Then you will be in the nest gear. Completely remove your left foot from the clutch and feed gas.

The only gear that is a balancing act of correct clutch to gas is 1st gear. All others you do the above.

I have never worn out a clutch in over 35 years of driving.....
Old 09-04-2005, 05:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

really....hmmmm i will try this later.
Old 09-04-2005, 06:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i really dont like the clutch either. and i used to own a dsm (essentially the same thing as a gsx, an awd talon). i think its due to the electronic delay in the throttle. it seems to screw up my timing. you... kinda get used to it eventually, but its never as smooth as it was in my old car.
Old 09-04-2005, 07:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah it's wierd compared to other cars. But i didnt know your supposed to let off the clutch without pressing on the gas.....

Release clutch...then press gas. GOT IT!
Old 09-04-2005, 07:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by codycat

Put the car into 1st gear. (remember to have your foot all the way down on the clutch when doing this)

DO NOT GIVE THE CAR ANY GAS.......

Very Slowly start to take your foot off the clutch. When the car starts to move, continue removing your foot from the clutch. Very slowly feed the car a bit of gas, till the car reaches 10 MPH.

Now TAKE YOUR FOOT OFF THE GAS PETAL, and CLUTCH AND SHIFT DOWN INTO 2nd gear. (Remove foot from clutch)

Feed a bit of gas and get the car to about 25-30 mph.

Put shifter up into 3rd gear. Repeat all steps until 5th gear.

Remember when puting vehicle into 5th gear to throw shifter all the way over to the right and up, or you will accidently put the vehicle back into 3rd gear....

If you are still having problems, email me and I will try my best to help you out..
I have been driving a stick for 35 years......
That takeoff method is good for learning.. but will eventually burn up your clutch if continued. The idea is to eventually get to where you let the clutch our much faster (but smoothly). Just keep at it and you will have it in no time.
Old 09-04-2005, 08:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

That takeoff method is good for learning.. but will eventually burn up your clutch if continued. The idea is to eventually get to where you let the clutch our much faster (but smoothly). Just keep at it and you will have it in no time.
You are correct, and over time smoothness will come. The thing is to get going out of 1st gear. The gear most people seem to have problems with when new to manual transmissions.

This is the pergect method for sombody learning how to get out of 1st gear. The rest of the gears are easy. If you are going to stall, it's 1st gear that will usually do it.

In time they will learn to balance the gas and the clutch out of 1st gear, but when first learning this is the best method.

As far as burning the clutch out:

This won't happen unless gas is being fed and the clutch is engaged. I have never worn out a clutch plate. I once had a throw out bearing go at 90,000 miles.

(BTW Reverse is the same as first )

Good Luck........

Quick Reply: Cant get used to clutch ><