2005-2010 [ANT10]

car not starting well

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2008, 08:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default car not starting well

well i bought my 05 scion tC couple weeks ago. the problem is everytime i start the car up it doesnt start up like right away but sometimes it hesitates and then starts up. whats the problem?? i changed the spark plugs so its not that.
Old 06-02-2008, 08:22 PM
SSQ
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Have you tried switching to different types of gas?
Old 06-02-2008, 10:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

go to toyota or a automotive store ( pepboys, autozone, etc) ask them to test your battery and alternator.. i just changed my battery btw... what kind of battery u have? maybe a blue top one? ( deep cycle?)
Old 06-03-2008, 04:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

does the gas really matter?? i mean its a new car. ill go check on that battery but i dont think it should matter too cuz like i said its a new car and i dont have any subs or amp connected to my car.
Old 06-03-2008, 04:50 PM
SSQ
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

it does sometimes. When I used to get gas with higher octane rating (91) that was from certain gas stations, the car would constantly hesitate to start. The car would crank many times before turning over. Now I stick with 87 octane from the stations I have heard of (even arco) and the problems didn't occur again.
Old 06-03-2008, 06:19 PM
SL Member

new car? isnt it a 05 or is it new to you? either way it doesnt matter i have worked on a car with like 4k on it and itstarted rough, i tested the battery and found out it had a dead cell, might be the same problem for your car
Old 06-03-2008, 06:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

if it's a new car, have the dealer check it out since it's under warranty. they'll run a DRB test and see if there's any trouble codes present.

if it's new to you and has x miles on it, try a can of dry gas. sputtering and such, and not knowing how the previous owner treated it could have moisture in the system.

check the fuel filter, air filter and don't be buying cheap gas just to save a dollar.

so . . . how many miles are on the beast
Old 06-04-2008, 12:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Balliztik
SL Member

Using 92 octane can make the car hesitate to start.......fuel and air filter,battery,injectors not clean is a big one........injectors shoudl be cleaned as well as the throttle body every 12000 miles to keep the car running new for a long time.......I used to let my cars go like 3 years before doing it and it was amazing the power gains I got cleaning them made....so now I do it yearly......no matter what.
Old 06-04-2008, 01:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by BZinn1
Using 92 octane can make the car hesitate to start.......fuel and air filter,battery,injectors not clean is a big one........injectors shoudl be cleaned as well as the throttle body every 12000 miles to keep the car running new for a long time.......I used to let my cars go like 3 years before doing it and it was amazing the power gains I got cleaning them made....so now I do it yearly......no matter what.
hmmm...really? i've been wondering why my tc has been alittle hesitant to start and was wondering if it was the supercharger, but maybe it is the 91-93 octane fuel that i'm not using...
Old 06-04-2008, 01:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

my car has around 47,xxx miles on it. ill try pumping in 91 octane and check out the battery after.

draxcaliber : yea its prolly cuz your not using 91 octane. cmon you got a supercharger and not using 91 octane. lolz.
Old 06-04-2008, 01:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by d0ugch0i
my car has around 47,xxx miles on it. ill try pumping in 91 octane and check out the battery after.

draxcaliber : yea its prolly cuz your not using 91 octane. cmon you got a supercharger and not using 91 octane. lolz.
sorry, that was a typo, i meant, the 91-93 octane that i'm NOW using. i've been using 93 octane since the tank before i took my tc in for the supercharger installation.
Old 06-04-2008, 01:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

Anything on a N/A tC over 87 octane is a waste of money.
Old 06-04-2008, 01:44 AM
SL Member

I thought using too high octane caused higher combustion temps and could lead to pinging and other engine issues... I always believed an 87 octane car should always run on 87 octane and should never need higher to function right.
Old 06-04-2008, 01:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Devedander
I thought using too high octane caused higher combustion temps and could lead to pinging and other engine issues... I always believed an 87 octane car should always run on 87 octane and should never need higher to function right.
wrong. octane is a rating of detonation resistance. detonation is the point when an air/fuel mixture is compressed to the point it automatically self ignites, which would be premature ignition, pinging etc.

the stock tC only needs 87 octane, if your turbo or supercharged, the pressurized air creates an artificial compression increase in the engine that would lead to detonation.

so i could run on 87 octane right now so long as i don't boost very much and the same for turbocharged cars, they can run on 87 so long as they keep the turbo from spooling up.

other cars, like corvettes, are n/a engines, but they run on high compression and need 91 octane to run properly.

however, lots of cars tuned for 91 octane can run on 87, but they lose power and mileage as they change the fuel and timing intervals.
Old 06-04-2008, 01:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

Drax, go back and read this part of his post, then realize that the tC doesn't come with a turbo or S/C.

I always believed an 87 octane car should always run on 87 octane and should never need higher to function right.
Old 06-04-2008, 01:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yeah, but saying that running higher octane leads to pinging? how could that happen?
Old 06-04-2008, 02:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

i had the same problem for awhile, it was the battery, the connectors weren't tight.
Old 06-04-2008, 02:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Gas shouldnt be an issue with hesitant to start, check the battery first as well as battery terminal ends should be tight and free of corrosion if it tests fine then it should be normal the tc also uses an immobilizer type of key system and it is normal at times for the car to take a short while to start because they car has to read the key in a way for it to start.
Old 06-04-2008, 02:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by draxcaliber
wrong. octane is a rating of detonation resistance. detonation is the point when an air/fuel mixture is compressed to the point it automatically self ignites, which would be premature ignition, pinging etc.

the stock tC only needs 87 octane, if your turbo or supercharged, the pressurized air creates an artificial compression increase in the engine that would lead to detonation.

so i could run on 87 octane right now so long as i don't boost very much and the same for turbocharged cars, they can run on 87 so long as they keep the turbo from spooling up.

other cars, like corvettes, are n/a engines, but they run on high compression and need 91 octane to run properly.

however, lots of cars tuned for 91 octane can run on 87, but they lose power and mileage as they change the fuel and timing intervals.

i wonder if i change gas to higher or less octane it would change anything with my raspy exhaust system... like.. less rasp or more rasp ( backfire?)
Old 06-04-2008, 02:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

no, rasp has to do with your exhaust system's noise surpression, nothing to do with your gas.

Quick Reply: car not starting well