Car Stalling...Help......

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2008, 02:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Default Car Stalling...Help......

When I let my car warm up for a while then drive it.... it will idle just fine.......If I don't let it warm up.....it idle's really low and sometimes stalls out. It also does this if I shut off the car after driving it.....let it sit for a few minutes....then start it up and drive it again....when I do that it idle's soooo low and rough that it stalls out. I have an injen cai and a borla axel back exhaust.....and after I installed both parts I reset the ecu. Still idles rough to the point of stalling. Any ideas what this could be? I think it also might be running rich....lots of black in the end of my exhaust.
Old 06-19-2008, 02:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I had this problem too, tons of black smoke, ruined the primary cat. It was because of my MAF fouling. Although this was with a bad supercharger and everything else stock. Didn't get a CEL for several miles. It may take anyhwere from 1 to hundreds before a CEL comes on.

Warranty should cover this under 60k and 5 yrs for the MAF (Mass Air Flow sensor), located on the intake. I think its under 80k for the cat if it needs replacement.

Edit** Caution, use method carefully and at your own risk. Check your connections to the throttle body. If there is an air leak, your MAF must be reading less air, so it'll bog the engine and will even cut off while driving. You can get a can of throttle body cleaner at Walmart, its red and white. You CAN use it with the engine running. Just let it warm up, spray where the throtlle body and silicon tubing meet. The engine should bog a bit if there IS a leak, if it doesn't, then check any other (if there is) silicon tubing, between throttle body and MAF. I should mention that you DO NOT spray it before the supercharger or MAF. If there is/are leaks, just tighten the loose connections.

Brandon
Old 06-20-2008, 11:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

or you could simply take the MAF off, and look at it. It's probably dirty because CAI's have a tendency to dirty up the MAF sensor. CRC sells a MAF sensor cleaning spray. No reason to replace the sensor if it's dirty, clean it.

http://www.crcindustries.com/auto/co...x?PN=05110&S=N

there's a link to the cleaner. .

edit: when you take it out, there are two areas to clean. The amber bulb on the outside is the idle air temp sensor. Inside the tube you'll see two wires, please be careful because that's the actual maf sensor, spray lightly down there too as well as the outside amber bulb. Let dry.. And see if that fixes the problems.
Old 06-21-2008, 01:48 AM

I had the same problem on my last car after i installed a new clutch and fly wheel. If you haven't checked yet, its sounds alot like a vacuum leak, check all the hoses and and sensors around the throttle boddy and intake manifold. actually, this happen to me on my tc too... there was a vacuum hose on the back side of the throttle body that somehow came loose, i reset it and clamped it and life is good again. good luck with it though.
Old 06-21-2008, 03:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Forgot to mention cleaning the MAF part. You can find that at Walmart as well next to the Throttle body cleaner, think its the same colors.

Goodluck
Brandon