Notices
Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

Car Washes and Wiper Blades

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2004, 03:41 AM
5 Year Member

Default Car Washes and Wiper Blades

Well, I waited until I got my regular tags on my Indigo tC to get her washed (boy was she dirty after my family reunion! should have gotten the mudguards). Yet, after getting her first bath I noticed my wiper blade goes past the body now. Has anyone had this happen after taking their car through a nice car wash? And, if so, is there any way to adjust the wiper blades without taking the car back to the dealer ...
Old 10-29-2004, 04:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

well first of all for future ref. NEVER EVER take your car to a drive in machine car wash. Always have it hand washed. If not get your lazy butt up and wash it your damnself ... or if not pay me 10 bills and ill do it . Only one person washes my car, and thats me !
Old 10-29-2004, 04:53 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Dude never go to hand car wash places coz' who knows if the stuff they're using are clean (mitts and towels). I had one experience where they scratch my rear hatch good thing it wasn't that deep so I was able to buff it out. either u do it or face the consequences. BTW I tried going to auto car wash (CITGO) they have a touch less kinda thing but I heard those high pressure car wash can peel the paint
Old 10-29-2004, 04:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

yes. just be careful going through drive-through car washes. the beating is rough on the car.

or yes, you could just listen to him. he's got a good idea.

Originally Posted by rolstc
well first of all for future ref. NEVER EVER take your car to a drive in machine car wash. Always have it hand washed. If not get your lazy butt up and wash it your damnself ... or if not pay me 10 bills and ill do it . Only one person washes my car, and thats me !
i'm pretty sure you can adjust the wiper blades, but if you really care about your car. take the time to hand wash it.
Old 10-29-2004, 04:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by mksm2000
Dude never go to hand car wash places coz' who knows if the stuff they're using are clean (mitts and towels).

LIKE I SAID .... only one person washes my carrito and thats me
Old 10-29-2004, 04:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

I agree that it's best to hand wash the car youself. I don't trust mine to anyone else. In the winter I wear neoprene gloves so I can wash without freezing.

If the wipers are like the xB's, you should be able to pop the base caps off, remove the nut, pull the wiper off, and reposition it. Since they were pushed down check to see that the teeth on the shaft and wiper aren't stripped.
Old 10-29-2004, 05:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It's tough to wash your own car when you live in the city and don't have a driveway.

I either have to drive up an hour away to visit my parents and wash the car there, or go to one of those washes where you put in the coins and use the spray gun/brush and take my own bucket and mitt (and hope an attendant doesn't notice me, because they want you to use the pay brush).
Old 10-29-2004, 05:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

I realize it can be tough. I see people down here (the South) bringing their buckets all the time. Those brushes can do some serious damage to the paint.
Old 10-29-2004, 06:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

I've got my own driveway but I still usually go to the Power washwith my bucket. Plus, they got HOT water. Can't be giving my baby a cold bath.
Old 10-29-2004, 06:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

lol! u want that $10 dont you rolstc hahahaha...

your soooo right...
Old 10-29-2004, 12:02 PM
5 Year Member

heheh ... well I've got a driveway, but living in an apartment makes it difficult to find a spicket for a hose ... thing is, hubby's taken his tC and it's been fine. Nothing wrong with his. First the ding then this and I'm like okay, no bad thoughts otherwise bad things will happen. Oh wait they still happen LOL. I may just have to go over to my Dad's and have him move the cars out of the driveway so I can wash the car.

Now, do I have to take the car back to the dealer to get the problem fixed or what ... :?
Old 10-29-2004, 12:06 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by chadfo
If the wipers are like the xB's, you should be able to pop the base caps off, remove the nut, pull the wiper off, and reposition it. Since they were pushed down check to see that the teeth on the shaft and wiper aren't stripped.
Thanks, I'll have to check but I'm not sure.... see, that's what I get for reading too fast with a kid chatting in my ear about some diarreah costume at the mall. eewwwww
Old 10-29-2004, 04:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by punkrockgrl
Originally Posted by chadfo
Thanks, I'll have to check but I'm not sure.... see, that's what I get for reading too fast with a kid chatting in my ear about some diarreah costume at the mall. eewwwww
Hey Punkrockgirl - does it look like your wiper blades are shifted up a few inches? I'm not sure if this is it, but if you read through the manual, there is a note in there that says that if snow and ice build up under the blades (like at the base of the windshield I'd imagine), there is a built in feature where the blades will swivel up a few inches so that they don't get torn off. I thought that was a pretty cool idea and it might be what happened to you. There is a little picture on how to fix it I think - basically you just bend them back down to where they should be, but you have to press right so you don't rip something off. Let me know if that works.
Old 10-29-2004, 04:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

[quote="mrtc"]It's tough to wash your own car when you live in the city and don't have a driveway.quote]

well i live in the stiy and i have no driveway. just park it front of your house .. thats what i do ... the only lucky thing is that i have a fire pump in front of my house so no one ever parks there... and i just simply park by it and bring out my 200 ft water hose (lol) and off i go .... or if not when fkn gangbangers are out from hibernating i wash it in my alley
Old 10-29-2004, 04:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

[quote="mrtc"]It's tough to wash your own car when you live in the city and don't have a driveway.quote]

well i live in the city and i have no driveway. just park it front of your house .. thats what i do ... the only lucky thing is that i have a fire pump in front of my house so no one ever parks there... and i just simply park by it and bring out my 200 ft water hose (lol) and off i go .... or if not when fkn gangbangers are out from hibernating i wash it in my alley
Old 10-29-2004, 04:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

[quote="rolstc"]
Originally Posted by mrtc
It's tough to wash your own car when you live in the city and don't have a driveway.quote]

well i live in the city and i have no driveway. just park it front of your house .. thats what i do ... the only lucky thing is that i have a fire pump in front of my house so no one ever parks there... and i just simply park by it and bring out my 200 ft water hose (lol) and off i go .... or if not when fkn gangbangers are out from hibernating i wash it in my alley
I live in an apartment and we're not even allowed to wash cars there. I used to take my integra to a decent touchless place, but since I got my tC, I'm washing it myself. My plan (anyone around here do this?) is just to get all the carwash stuff (all I'm missing is a bucket or two) and go to one of those do-it-yourself places. I'll use the big sprayer to fill the buckets and get the car wet, then just wash it by hand and maybe rinse it with the sprayer. Hopefully they won't get too ____ed at me.
Old 10-29-2004, 04:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by Lenalove
lol! u want that $10 dont you rolstc hahahaha...

your soooo right...

and yes i do want those 10 dollars
Old 10-29-2004, 04:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

[quote="iowagary"]
Originally Posted by mrtc
It's tough to wash your own car when you live in the city and don't have a driveway.quote]

I live in an apartment and we're not even allowed to wash cars there. I used to take my integra to a decent touchless place, but since I got my tC, I'm washing it myself. My plan (anyone around here do this?) is just to get all the carwash stuff (all I'm missing is a bucket or two) and go to one of those do-it-yourself places. I'll use the big sprayer to fill the buckets and get the car wet, then just wash it by hand and maybe rinse it with the sprayer. Hopefully they won't get too ____ed at me.
yea i do that also
Old 10-29-2004, 06:20 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by iowagary

Hey Punkrockgirl - does it look like your wiper blades are shifted up a few inches? I'm not sure if this is it, but if you read through the manual, there is a note in there that says that if snow and ice build up under the blades (like at the base of the windshield I'd imagine), there is a built in feature where the blades will swivel up a few inches so that they don't get torn off. I thought that was a pretty cool idea and it might be what happened to you. There is a little picture on how to fix it I think - basically you just bend them back down to where they should be, but you have to press right so you don't rip something off. Let me know if that works.
Actually, that was the first thing I read ... after looking under the hood for something that resembled a wiper motor and what not. After reading the manual I thought it was a cool idea to have that, after what I'd been through the past couple of years with my Sentra. Unfortunately that doesn't seem to be the problem.

Now I did look at the wipers this am when I got to work. Looks like there are caps on the ends but I'll be damned if I can pop them off (that is if they are supposed to come off like on the xB).
Old 10-29-2004, 06:23 PM
5 Year Member

and yes i do want those 10 dollars
lil money grubber

Besides, washing one's car in the winter is just no fun To damn cold!

Quick Reply: Car Washes and Wiper Blades