Car Washes and Wiper Blades

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2004, 06:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by punkrockgrl

lil money grubber

Besides, washing one's car in the winter is just no fun To damn cold!
Oh... but it's not about the fun, it's about the fact that you'll be driving the tC without all the swirl marks on it. I suppose if I lived in Va, I'd probably have to have someone do it for me, but other than the fact that in Seattle you end up doing stupid things like washing your car in the rain, it doesn't get that cold here.

Oh... and is your name just a general reference, or is that Dead Milkmen straight up?
Old 10-29-2004, 06:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by rolstc

and yes i do want those 10 dollars
lil money grubber

or if you live farther north, it's pretty much impossible, spraying a car with water when it's 10 degrees out isn't the best idea...
Old 10-29-2004, 06:42 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by iowagary
Oh... and is your name just a general reference, or is that Dead Milkmen straight up?
Very good, you get a cookie
Dead Milkmen and a gen. ref.

I have swirl marks I can get rid of, courtesy of my paint protector it seems. Seriously though, salt on the roads bothers me (but around here one never knows what the hell the weather will do)
Old 10-29-2004, 06:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Very good, you get a cookie
Dead Milkmen and a gen. ref.

I have swirl marks I can get rid of, courtesy of my paint protector it seems. Seriously though, salt on the roads bothers me (but around here one never knows what the hell the weather will do)
On a car this new, with or without paint protector you should be able to clean things up - clay bar maybe? Winter car care seems like a major pain in the ___ and they barely salt the roads around here.

"I asked how much you pay for that, she said 'nothing man - it's stolen'"
Old 10-29-2004, 07:32 PM
5 Year Member

My Celica had rust holes everywhere before I got rid of it (still miss that car) and the winter always seemed to make it worse when we had a lot of snow and the salt stayed around for what seemed like eons. I so don't want that happening to either tC.

Right now you'd think there was salt on the roads, but it's just dirt from milling. Blech.

So we jumped up on the table
And shouted "anarchy"
Old 10-29-2004, 07:32 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by dante
Originally Posted by rolstc

and yes i do want those 10 dollars
lil money grubber

or if you live farther north, it's pretty much impossible, spraying a car with water when it's 10 degrees out isn't the best idea...
I hate washing my car in winter- I can't wear shorts
Old 10-29-2004, 08:35 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

With those drive in car washes you never know...
An _______ in a jeep wrangler may have gone mudding and gone to the same wash bay right before you did. If you need a quick wash....just spray it off.
Old 10-29-2004, 09:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

My Celica had rust holes everywhere before I got rid of it (still miss that car) and the winter always seemed to make it worse when we had a lot of snow and the salt stayed around for what seemed like eons. I so don't want that happening to either tC.

Right now you'd think there was salt on the roads, but it's just dirt from milling. Blech.

So we jumped up on the table
And shouted "anarchy"
Milling? Just another thing I guess I don't have to worry about in Seattle. I know that my car gets crazy dirty from driving up to snowboard, but I got a clear bra and I've got a new resolution to wash it every week when I do that. Or maybe just go nuts with the wax and polish before the season starts.

I miss my integra from time to time too, but I don't miss the rattles.

"If you don't got Mojo Nixon then your store could use some fixin'!"
Old 10-31-2004, 02:15 PM
5 Year Member

Milling? Just another thing I guess I don't have to worry about in Seattle. I know that my car gets crazy dirty from driving up to snowboard, but I got a clear bra and I've got a new resolution to wash it every week when I do that. Or maybe just go nuts with the wax and polish before the season starts.

I miss my integra from time to time too, but I don't miss the rattles.

"If you don't got Mojo Nixon then your store could use some fixin'!"

The only problem I've seen on cars that have bras is the faded paint line (LOL reminds me of tan lines). I don't know what is worse, pot holes or milling before they pave. The Sentra is down to one hubcap thanks to pot holes.

heheh ... there was a band named Mojo Nixon, and of course the name came from that line

Interesting emotes guys ...
Old 10-31-2004, 03:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The only problem I've seen on cars that have bras is the faded paint line (LOL reminds me of tan lines). I don't know what is worse, pot holes or milling before they pave. The Sentra is down to one hubcap thanks to pot holes.

heheh ... there was a band named Mojo Nixon, and of course the name came from that line

Interesting emotes guys ...
I hate the look of regular bras, but the clear bras are pretty nice. This is my first experience with one directly, but they use them on all kinds of high end cars. It's like a very thin plastic film coating the front of the car. The paint fades through it and you can wax right over the top of it, but it prevents all the rock chips. It's only visible if you know it's there and you're within a foot or two of the car. It can pick up wax and dirt around the edges, but if you take care of it it won't.

Dead Milkmen always remind me of my buddy Matt. Good times...
Old 10-31-2004, 04:38 PM
5 Year Member

I live in an apartment and we're not even allowed to wash cars there. I used to take my integra to a decent touchless place, but since I got my tC, I'm washing it myself. My plan (anyone around here do this?) is just to get all the carwash stuff (all I'm missing is a bucket or two) and go to one of those do-it-yourself places. I'll use the big sprayer to fill the buckets and get the car wet, then just wash it by hand and maybe rinse it with the sprayer. Hopefully they won't get too ____ed at me.
That's what I do. You get a clean car without scratches and, if you use a modern, well-managed commercial DIY car wash, the water is recycled. They filter out the oil, grease, rubber and other crap and they conserve water--that's important here in the west. I think the EPA requires all car washes to recycle. If you wash your car in the street most of the contaminants go through the storm sewer and straight into the nearest stream, lake, or bay.
Old 11-01-2004, 04:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Just go to a quality hand wash and watch them as they do it. If they do a bad job, make a big scene. :-p . Still though, nothing beats a good DIY wash. I find that its good to use one of those cow hide leather things to get out all the water spots, then I do the interior windows with Foam and Newspapers (yea, sounds wierd, but its a known remedy for cleaning your windows, Lint free and the ink is good for it or something). I had a bad experience with the auto car washes (even though it was only 3.95 and had all those flashing lights with the disco music as you went through) and now my LE PT Cruiser is all scratched (not nice when you have the wood panelling all scratched) well, theres my 2 cents
Old 11-03-2004, 03:44 AM
5 Year Member

Well, the caps do pop off the wiper blades so you can adjust them :D
However it seems that the Indigo tC came with the one blade set wrong from the factory. The Azure tC was the car driven every time it rained before we noticed the problem (the Azure was always parked in the driveway when we would go out).

Problem fixed and now I know exactly how to do it. Can't remember who posted the suggestion but thanks!

The dealer had only seen this happen once before, on an Avalon.