Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

Clutch switch as a kill switch?

Old 09-21-2005, 03:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Clutch switch as a kill switch?

I'm thinking of using the clutch switch as a kill switch. I'm thinking of replacing it with a toggle type switch and relocating it.

My question is: Are there any adverse effects to keeping the switch in the "ON" position while driving?

I wonder if the car uses the clutch switch other than at start-up. The stock switch is a momentary type switch. When I drive I don’t usually press the clutch down as far as when I start the car, so I'm probably not pressing the switch each time I change gears. I could relocate the stock momentary switch (hidden of course) and press it by hand whenever I start the car.

On my 240sx, the alarm installer bypassed the clutch switch when he installed my remote start (I didn’t need to push the clutch to start the car, by remote or key).

Maybe I'll just splice a switch into the fuel pump instead.

Btw, has anyone been able to kick start their tC? I havent bothered to try.
Old 09-21-2005, 04:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

cant help you on the other stuff but as far as the clutch goes, if you want to start it without having to push in the clutch then you need to jump the two wires together on the bottom switch and on the top switch you can simply unplug it. Then youll be able to start w/o pushing in the clutch
Old 09-21-2005, 04:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

there are 2 switches? crap.
Old 09-24-2005, 05:09 AM
5 Year Member

you mean the neutral asftey switch, just splice into the starter wire then mke a switch somewhere. I did one once where we gutted a cig lighter out and made the outer part of the unit one end of the neg starter wire then the center was the other half the completed the circute; thus no cig lighter in the hole no go, put it back in and your off.
Old 09-24-2005, 05:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^^?????^^^
Old 09-24-2005, 05:23 AM
5 Year Member

Myabe I was tryping a little fast .

You have a ciggerett lighter in the car, the hole that you plug your cell phone charger into...right?

It has a positive and negitive wire going to it (on the back of the unit inside the dash). So what we are going to do is interupt the starter (so you cant start the car; so it is harder to steal, and will seem as if it has a dead batt). Yout cut the negitive (-) wire to the starter and extend it to the cig. lighter (where you cut the positive and negitive wires to), you have the the starter wire in both hands, the end that goes to the starter and the end that goes into you wiring harness, on end connects to where the (+) wire came from on the cig. lighter, the second part of the wire goes to where the (-) was on the cig. lighter.

NOW when you put the lighter into the hole (the plug that has the metal end that gets hot) you complete the circut to the starter and you can now start your engine!
If you just take the lighter out and put it under the seat, the car still looks normal the a theaf, however the circute to the starter is incomplete and he will not be able to turn the engine over!

Now if you know how ANYTHING about wiring you get this, if not...you probably should not be working on your own car lol!
Old 09-24-2005, 08:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

good idea. you can use that as a kill switch to the fuel pump or starter.