Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

Cold Air Intake Help

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2012, 08:48 PM
SL Member

Default Cold Air Intake Help

Hello All,

So I was at AutoZone getting oil this morning and found a MAF Sensor Adapter. After seeing it and realizing I can just buy that and put a filter on the end I got excited. (I'm a bit strapped for cash otherwise I would just buy a CAI) Anyways, I got home and started ripping my Airbox and such out. After getting everything installed I started my car up. Idle started at about 500RPM and finally moved up to 1000 after about 30 seconds. I decided to drive it to see what happened. After shifting into second the power just dropped. Hoping someone can help. I put the old parts back in so I could drive it.

Any help would be awesome.
Old 03-29-2012, 09:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well, assuming you put all the stock airbox pieces back in place, and reattached the MAF Sensor properly, you should just be able to reset your ECU and everything go back to normal....the easiest way to do this is to just disconnect the battery, reconnect it, and start the car. If you get a CEL (check engine light) come on after you do this then here is how you remove it:

1) Turn key to "ON" position. ("ON", not "START")
2) Press the odometer button past the two trip meters and to the actual mileage.
3) Turn the key back to "OFF"
4) Press and hold the odometer button in, while you turn the key to "ON".
5) You will see 5 blinking bars, hold in the odometer button until these bars go away
6) You may now restart the car.
Old 03-29-2012, 09:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hopefully you learned your lesson that you cant just "put a filter on the end" and it work. The MAF is rather exacting piece of technology that is designed to operate within certain parameters, namely a specific flow rate and volume of oxygen. The CAI's made by companies like Injen and AEM are extensively tested, then perfectly shaped, sized, and tuned to deliver an exact amount of air to the intake manifold on your car. The reason they cost some coin is that the R&D put into them is what makes them improve the performance of your car and yet still keep it reliable. Trying to "create something" from random AutoZone parts is a quick way not to save money by garnering expensive trips to the repair shop.
If you want to save a little cash, try the classifieds here on the forums, people are constantly selling perfectly good used intakes on here, often times for less than half the cost of a new one.
Old 03-29-2012, 09:54 PM
SL Member

I never had a problem with the CEL. It never came on even when I had the filter on there. My car is running normal after re-installation of the old parts. I was just curious to know if there was a reason that the Intake wasn't working correctly?
Old 03-29-2012, 11:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It wasn't working correctly because the MAF/intake manifold was reading an erratic airflow from a filter that wasn't designed for your car and compensated by pulling timing and thus power from the engine in order to protect itself.
Old 03-29-2012, 11:05 PM
SL Member

So by using an actual CAI it makes sure it gets the right amount of airflow?
Old 03-29-2012, 11:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yes, assuming it was properly designed, and made specifically for your car. Two of the biggest names in the intake world are AEM and Injen, you cant go wrong with either one of them. I personally run the Injen CAI. It fits perfectly, and it has a pre-drilled bung for you to mount the MAF, been running it for almost 6 years with no problems.
Old 03-29-2012, 11:25 PM
SL Member

I'm looking at a Fujita from someone but they don't have the filter. Can I just put the filter I bought on it or do I need a specific one?
Old 03-29-2012, 11:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

As long as you get the MAF situated properly and its a typical filter like this then it should work:

http://www.dezod.com/pd_aem_dryflow.cfm
Old 03-29-2012, 11:30 PM
SL Member

Awesome. Thanks for all the help man.
Old 03-29-2012, 11:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ColonelSanders85
Hopefully you learned your lesson that you cant just "put a filter on the end" and it work. The MAF is rather exacting piece of technology that is designed to operate within certain parameters, namely a specific flow rate and volume of oxygen. The CAI's made by companies like Injen and AEM are extensively tested, then perfectly shaped, sized, and tuned to deliver an exact amount of air to the intake manifold on your car. The reason they cost some coin is that the R&D put into them is what makes them improve the performance of your car and yet still keep it reliable. Trying to "create something" from random AutoZone parts is a quick way not to save money by garnering expensive trips to the repair shop.
If you want to save a little cash, try the classifieds here on the forums, people are constantly selling perfectly good used intakes on here, often times for less than half the cost of a new one.
perfectly said.....get what you pay for
Old 03-29-2012, 11:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by R3define
Awesome. Thanks for all the help man.
No problem bro, we've all been there before, just passing on what was once given to me.