Notices
Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

Covered by warranty? What do you think?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2004, 02:49 AM
5 Year Member

Default Covered by warranty? What do you think?

Had my tC since late June and I've only seen one other on the road around here. Driving around yesterday and I see like 4 or 5 within a span of about two minutes!!

So, anyway, I see these nice pretty tCs and start feeling bad about how dirty mine is and I pull into a car wash. It was one of those do-it-yourself spray places since I didn't have time for a full-on hand wash. I'm standing there with the wand pretty close to the surface to get bug carcasses off the front and suddenly a big splooge of paint starts peeling away! It's not huge or anything, but it certainly is noticeable. It's about a 2x2 inch area on the plasticy/fiberglass (whatever it is) section of the front grille area. I'm guessing that's made out of the same material as the door sills, which seem to be easily scratched/damaged. Seems to me that surface wasn't properly prepped to accept paint.

Called the dealer and they said they have to look at it before they can say if it's warranty covered or not. The warranty specifically excludes things like sap, road debris, etc., so I can imagine them trying to write it off as falling into that area. So, what do you think? Should I prepare for a fight?
Old 09-15-2004, 02:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Default Re: Covered by warranty? What do you think?

Originally Posted by smilingjudy
Had my tC since late June and I've only seen one other on the road around here. Driving around yesterday and I see like 4 or 5 within a span of about two minutes!!

So, anyway, I see these nice pretty tCs and start feeling bad about how dirty mine is and I pull into a car wash. It was one of those do-it-yourself spray places since I didn't have time for a full-on hand wash. I'm standing there with the wand pretty close to the surface to get bug carcasses off the front and suddenly a big splooge of paint starts peeling away! It's not huge or anything, but it certainly is noticeable. It's about a 2x2 inch area on the plasticy/fiberglass (whatever it is) section of the front grille area. I'm guessing that's made out of the same material as the door sills, which seem to be easily scratched/damaged. Seems to me that surface wasn't properly prepped to accept paint.

Called the dealer and they said they have to look at it before they can say if it's warranty covered or not. The warranty specifically excludes things like sap, road debris, etc., so I can imagine them trying to write it off as falling into that area. So, what do you think? Should I prepare for a fight?

ive been here so listen say you saw it happen it was fine and when you washed it came off right in front of your eyes.. and also dont tell them you had a powerwasher all up close theyll write that off aswell . and they shouldnt in that case but they will.. just say that you washed it with a powerwasher and it was 5 feet away .
Old 09-15-2004, 03:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You're not supposed to use a power washer so close to the car. They can take paint off of just about anything. Yeah, you can probably lie and they'll cover it under warranty.
Old 09-15-2004, 03:43 AM
5 Year Member

That's whack. It's not like it was right up on it. Never had a problem with any other car....including the one my dad repainted for me long ago. :?

Thanks for the input.