2005-2010 [ANT10]

Dealership Fiasco... sort of. UPDATED AGAIN

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2008, 07:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Dealership Fiasco... sort of. UPDATED AGAIN

Had an appointment for yesterday to get my CEL checked out (they "fixed" it once but it came back) and figured I might as well have my snow tires mounted/balanced and go for the 4 wheel alignment while I'm there.

I'm not sure how far they had gotten with the CEL thing at first - though they believe it is a charcoal canister issue and it will be covered under my extended warranty again... more on that in a minute.

So they move on to the wheels/tires and get everything mounted and go to align it. Seems that my rear wheels are at -1.0 deg and -1.7 deg... so they'd like to get them a little closer. But they can't. I guess one of the adjustments for my rear camber is seized up...

But in trying to loosen that, apparently the tech broke something in the fuel filler area. I don't know how... or what he was doing... but he broke something in that area. I don't recall exactly what he said was broken, but it is still drivable and safe (I assume). I was just told not to put any gas in it - lucky for them I had just filled up.

So of course they're going to cover it... but they can't even address the CEL issue until that's fixed. It's annoying, so I thought I'd share the story. I'll update again once it's done and I'm OK again. I wasn't even really that "upset" when he told me - I reserved my reaction until I heard what they were going to do about it. And as long as everything is fixed and they're covering it, I don't care too much.

As for the alignment... I'm told that they will need to drop the rear crossmember and torch out a bolt or two to fix it and get some new parts on there. Problem is, it's supposed to be nearly 5 hours labor for the crossmember plus another 1 hour for torching, plus parts. Total? $576+ tax. Originally I was told this MIGHT be covered by warranty, but today was told it will not. So I'll need to get that figured out as well...

Stupid car...
Old 10-28-2008, 07:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It is NOT your fault that a bolt is siezed you should not have to pay for that at all!
Old 10-28-2008, 07:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

This is why I didn't take my car to the dealership to fix my clunking/rattling spring/strut.

Also, unless you agreed to pay for the work, prior to them doing it, you shouldn't have to pay. They told it it 'might', which gives them the responsibility of informing you that you will be charged for the alignment and labor.
Old 10-28-2008, 07:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well they haven't done anything yet with the alignment... just to put that out there. I even told the guy today when he called that since they're not covering it, I'm going to wait. I'd rather get the fuel issue fixed and the CEL fixed.

I may try another shop for the alignment anyway... don't know yet.
Old 10-28-2008, 07:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Andrew1782
It is NOT your fault that a bolt is siezed you should not have to pay for that at all!
The only reason I could see to not cover it would be if they count all of my suspension changes as the reason for needing the alignment in the first place. But again, the parts I swapped didn't cause the seize... so it's hard to say.

I may push it a little further when I'm in to get the fuel thing fixed.
Old 10-28-2008, 08:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ack154
The only reason I could see to not cover it would be if they count all of my suspension changes as the reason for needing the alignment in the first place. But again, the parts I swapped didn't cause the seize... so it's hard to say.
It sounds like they're just trying to not cover it because they can't be bothered. If you feel inclined enough to do so, you could probably call their bluff and namedrop Warren Magnuson or John Moss.
Old 10-28-2008, 09:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ack154
Originally Posted by Andrew1782

I may push it a little further when I'm in to get the fuel thing fixed.
I would love to see them prove that suspension caused a bolt to seize.. Seriousley I think you will be fine...this should be covered. Call Scion Corporate and ask them.

I must say though that this Scion will be more than likely my last along with Toyota in general. I have had the most dissapointing experiences with Toyota service. Literally I can't figure out how these guys are even allowed to have a tool in their hand. The most recent kicker to this was Having to have them balance my tires 2 times both of which were done incorreclty and had to be fixed at big o tires. We will just leave the alignment issue I had with them to everyones imagination.

Let's just say we will not be returning to the "Playschool for wanna bee mechanics".
Old 10-29-2008, 12:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Balliztik
SL Member

5 hours labor to remove a bolt......my god.....I can gut the entire suspension in under an hour in the back including the crossmember....cuttign a bolt shold take even less....try another shop
Old 10-29-2008, 01:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

They're saying 5 hours to pull the rear crossmember (technically 4.8, but I'm guessing it's 2.4 to pull and 2.4 to reassemble). But ya... at dealership rates, it's sick.
Old 10-29-2008, 02:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Balliztik
SL Member

For that kind of money they could at least work faster... .....
Old 10-29-2008, 02:29 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

They seriously have to drop the cross member for that? Thats crazy.
Old 10-29-2008, 04:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Balliztik
SL Member

Bet the need to because of its location to the fuel tank.....torches and fuel tanks probably not covered on their insurance.....
Old 10-29-2008, 05:48 AM

i think a seized bolt is considered general wear and tear so wouldn't be covered under warranty. you live up north so the winters probably do a number on your underbody and suspension. i could see why it wouldn't be covered. but 5 hours is crazy. if they can reach it to loosen it, they can reach it to heat it up.
Old 10-30-2008, 01:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by atl20ae
i think a seized bolt is considered general wear and tear so wouldn't be covered under warranty. you live up north so the winters probably do a number on your underbody and suspension. i could see why it wouldn't be covered. but 5 hours is crazy. if they can reach it to loosen it, they can reach it to heat it up.
Ya, I considered that too. I think I'll at least be asking what the reasoning was when I go back. Still waiting to hear when the part comes in though.
Old 11-07-2008, 12:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

OK... so I've been a bit lax on the updates... so here goes.

On Tuesday I still hadn't heard anything about the parts coming in, so I finally called. They were in, no one called. Shocking. Setup an appointment for Thursday (today).

So they fixed what they broke before and replaced the charcoal canister to fix the CEL... hopefully. I'll find out about that for sure in a few weeks I bet - all covered under warranty.

I asked again, about the other warranty stuff concerning the alignment. He said he couldn't remember the reason they gave last time so he'd call again. Unfortunately for us both, they're apparently ridiculously slow there. The phone call ended up taking over a half hour.

So like I said before, the plan was to drop the rear crossmember to get at the control arms to torch out the seized bolt. Apparently the Toyota warranty people didn't think that was necessary and won't cover it.

However.... they will cover a large chunk of it. Enough of the labor and all the parts to cover what the repairs would be without dropping that crossmember.

From what I'm told, dropping that crossmember is necessary to not ignite my interior when torching out the bolt. Something I would certainly appreciate them trying to prevent. TEC (toyota extra care) apparently does not have as much concern as I do and feel that isn't necessary.

So they'll cover more than half of the original estimate (nearly $600). At the moment, my current estimate is $265 payable... but that is including another alignment as well - something they said they'll probably cut me a break on the second time around since the front is already aligned OK. Oh... and if they end up NOT having to drop the crossmember I probably won't have to pay anything.

So that's much better than not covering anything... Tehy're going to be ordering parts soon and then we'll get it all scheduled.

I guess it was worth asking about.
Old 11-07-2008, 03:21 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

Well Glad to here that your not gonna have to dish out 600+ for this BS. Hopefully things play out where you pay something minimal or nothing at all. GL man.
Old 11-07-2008, 05:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I just hope your car doesn't catch fire.
Old 11-07-2008, 10:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

ok first of all, (if im thinking the right thing)

youre trying to adjust camber right?

you do NOT have to get the cross member down there is TWO bolts on it, the inside bolt is very accessable even getting up there with a torch shouldnt be difficult.

anyways good luck, i wouldnt pay anything....
Old 11-07-2008, 11:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Dave, I think he can get in there with a torch, but I'm pretty sure they're just worried about location with relation to the interior and the carpet and materials and such. They're worried something inside might catch fire.

And while I want it to be done as easily and at as little cost to me as possible.... I also don't want a torched interior.

We'll see though. I'll let you guys know when I have the appointment setup and everything.
Old 11-07-2008, 11:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

i dont understand why he would need to torch it tho... there are other ways to get a seized bolt out.

Quick Reply: Dealership Fiasco... sort of. UPDATED AGAIN