Notices
Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

Dealership Mileage!?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2005, 08:34 AM
5 Year Member

Default Dealership Mileage!?

I picked up my IIP tC last week and am generally very pleased with my first new car. However, I saw that the "odo" had aprx 200 miles. I didnt know what to think. Is this normal? It was there for like a week, was it test driven?

How many miles did your tC / Scion have upon delivery?
Old 05-02-2005, 08:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

OH HACK NO!
This is messed up I think!
How the hack they put on 200 miles on your "NEW" car?
Request return for an exchange!
I got mine with 9 miles and I was already ____ed
Old 05-02-2005, 08:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

It should have less than 20! 200? What the hell. Mine had 3.
Old 05-02-2005, 10:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thats nasty , try to go and get another one while you still might have a chance. 200 miles on a test driven car is like 40k on a norm. Thats just nasty.
Old 05-02-2005, 10:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

2 miles on mine, enough to roll off the truck and go to the gas station and back
Old 05-02-2005, 11:48 AM
5 Year Member

Big deal......Who cares if it has 200 miles. Mine had 119. Sometimes dealers switch cars with other dealers and people test drive em. Its not gonna make a difference. Just buy the damm thing.

Bruce
Old 05-02-2005, 12:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

lol yeah who cares about proper break in and some punk ___ kid redlining your car with 10 miles on it, yeah just buy the damn thing..

lol at that guy.

glad you look at it that way.
Old 05-02-2005, 12:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

the story with my friend's spec-v was that there were no spec-v's in the new york city area. so the dealer had to send some guy to go down to the very southern tip of new jersey, pick up a spec-v, and drive it all the way back to nyc. oh well, he really wanted the car, so they had to drive it back. couldn't wait to freight it over. so that's what could have happened, but then again, it also could have meant that your tC was test driven excessively. either way, its a toyota. it'll last through an extra 200 miles.
Old 05-02-2005, 12:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I think the question is, did you buy it off the lot? In which case, did you test drive that specific one? How many miles did it have then? If you didn't test drive that specific car, was it on the lot at all? Did you check the miles before you bought it?

Did you order the car directly? If it came off the truck with 200+ on it, you should have asked why right away. Don't drive it away and come back a week later and ask about it - check those things when you buy them.

Mine had 19 when I first test drove it (put a few on it), then when I finally picked it up after them clearing up a couple issues (tire pressure light and a couple others) it had about 50 on it when I got it. I wasn't worried.
Old 05-02-2005, 12:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

My odometer read 1 mile. You are probably screwed, due to the fact that you signed the contract and on the contract the mileage was stated. You should have said something before you drove it off the lot or signed any papers.
Old 05-02-2005, 01:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by thescone
My odometer read 1 mile.
wow... 1 mile.. and i thought i was special with just two. what did they do, unload the vehicle off the truck right into its final resting spot, brought the fuel to the car, etc..?

that's my proof
Old 05-02-2005, 01:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

My friend is a service manager at my local dealer. He called me when it came in, they unloaded off the truck, gassed it up at the station next door (less than 1/8 mile) and parked it in the lot . I test drove it with one mile on it and parked it back on the lot and picked it up the next day.
Old 05-02-2005, 01:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

it could be any number of factors really... the most likely one is that they drove it over from another dealership in a trade. Another reason why the car would have miles on it when you get it is because you might not have been the first one to put a deposit on the car and test drive it when it came in. Someone else could have test driven it first and not liked it so they got their money back.

But I agree, two hundred miles is a lot. And if the car depreciates significantly once it's driven off the lot, I would think you should have the right to pay less for it.
Old 05-02-2005, 01:56 PM
5 Year Member

Our new tC had 199 miles on it, because the dealer had to get it from Massachusetts.
Old 05-02-2005, 01:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i bought mine april 3rd with 4 miles. It now has 1259. It's kinda sad, I no longer had the temporary tags and it has too many miles on it. it no loner feels new.
Old 05-02-2005, 02:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

200 miles is nothing, most of us put that on our cars in a week just commuting to work.

When I worked at the dealership the majority of cars rolled off the truck with 2-6 miles on them. My own xB had like 12 when I bought it.

Sometimes though, especially with Scions where they are often limited in number and customers want specific colors dealerships trade with eachother....maybe the car was a dealertrade and had mileage on it from that. I know we'd trade with dealerships in LA and they'd put 100 miles on them just bringing them down to San Diego.

As long as the car doesn't have any scratches or dings on it, who cares? Now if it had like 1000 miles on it, I'd start to worry.
Old 05-02-2005, 02:10 PM
5 Year Member

Thanks for your insight. I did order it with options and never even test drove anything, I just loved the car. My dad actually picked up the car a week after it was delivered to the dealership. After I came down and picked it up from him he told me not to worry about it. But of course I did.

Its manufacturing date is March 20 and i picked it up April 17 or so. I guess it sounds like a classic dealership swap. They got it to me in a week after ordering so I am not too hot about it. It is under warranty and a Toyota.
Old 05-02-2005, 02:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy
Team ScioNRG

I dunno, I guess if u bought it off the lot dont complain, if it was ordered 4 u, then take it back, mine had 5
Old 05-02-2005, 02:38 PM
5 Year Member

mine had 5800 miles (tc was a demo) i've put in another 5k miles since feb '05 so far so good no problems
Old 05-02-2005, 02:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: Dealership Mileage!?

Originally Posted by millerba_IIP
I picked up my IIP tC last week and am generally very pleased with my first new car. However, I saw that the "odo" had aprx 200 miles. I didnt know what to think. Is this normal? It was there for like a week, was it test driven?

How many miles did your tC / Scion have upon delivery?
You should have checked before you actually baught the car

But 200 miles is alot for a "new car". Yes that car has probably been test driven and most likely has not been broken in properly. I don't think the dealer will replace it though.

(mine had 5 mi's)

Quick Reply: Dealership Mileage!?