Notices
Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

Does a ram air carbon fiber hood make a difference?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2013, 03:05 AM
5 Year Member

Default Does a ram air carbon fiber hood make a difference?

I am reading conflicting info. So anyone who says to use the search go f**k yourself

Does a ram air carbon fiber aftermarket hood for the tc make a noticeable difference. Mpg, acceleration, etc.? It seems to knock off roughly 22 pounds from the front of the car. More the ram air aspect is what I am interested in.

I have a injen ram air intake so I am thinking that a ram air hood would get some colder air inside onto the injen filter?

I have a silver car and would not want to paint the hood, I love the way carbon fiber looks. Does the carbon fiber stay shiny if I clean it? Also what about water getting in the hood is this a problem or are they designed to not allow water in, I could always get the injen water shield anyways.

Would love if someone who actually has a carbon fiber ram air hood could answer this. I know it is probably not huge gain but if it is any gain at all I can justify getting it I just love cf. I build surf and kite boards out of carbon fiber.

Also if anyone is selling one used near Chicago message me.

Last edited by henry54321; 04-14-2013 at 03:16 AM.
Old 04-14-2013, 03:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Water will definitely get in there, I can tell you that but I don't think it matters.
As far as the purpose, it will get some colder air in their, but really it is not going to make a difference, you'd probably see more difference on the weight of the hood than the air temp it is letting in. I would recommend a water shield, but then again i've never owned a cf vented hood before, just from knowledge/doing some research.
As far as mpg/gains you aren't really going to notice anything. If you do, it will all be in your head, just like when you put a CAI on and think your car is accelerating faster, it really isn't doing too much.
Old 04-14-2013, 04:02 PM

Are you hooking up the air intake to the ram? That's what you need to do to really get anything out of it, and only if that is actually where air pressure is high (if it's at a low pressure spot it will hurt you.
Old 04-14-2013, 06:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

No
Old 04-15-2013, 05:09 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have a kaminari revers cowel cf hood, the ONLY diff it makes is that its lighter and sucks out the hotter air out of the engine bay more (your not going to see a difference in performance whatsoever). Its MAINLY for looks and if its something you love, then GET IT!!! I too have a silver tC1 and I absolutley LOVE the way (certain) carbon fiber hoods look!!

I live in Goodyear AZ so in the summer hot months I reinstall my stock hood so my cf doesn't wear as fast. You need to wax AT LEAST once a month w/ a uv protected wax. (if not it starts to peel and turn yellow!!!)

If you ever try and weight reduce the tC then the cf hood ADDS to the overall change. So its mainly if you like the look or not!!

I say CF FOR THE WIN!!!!
Old 05-06-2013, 08:54 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

This is the reverse cowel kaminari cf hood... its my fav

Old 05-07-2013, 12:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

A vented hood will do more then a ram air concept type hood...especially if you are boosted...