Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

Dont believe every Scion Dealer...

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2004, 06:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Dont believe every Scion Dealer...

I am not saying "ALL" scion dealers dont know their stuff...some do, but not all of them...

I went to a scion dealer yesterday just to dick around and waste time...

I wanted to see what the dealer knew about the car...(tc) and see if any of it was right...
According to the dealer I talked to, the tC:

Lowering springs are stock...
18" wheels are actually 19"...
18" are th stock size...
Supercharger makes 250 HP...
CAI is stock...
Has the Celica's engine in it...

...Come on...Scion pays their dealers to know their stuff...and all the ones I've been to 6 total dont know the half of the car...

WTF MATE?!

this angers, saddens, and depresses me...
Old 09-19-2004, 02:37 PM
5 Year Member

LOL, yeah I was with Smurf yesterday too.. and seriously.. my little sister could of done a better job.

We are not hating on all scion dealers, because we've spoke to a few guys that know their scions...

some other things the dealer said to us was..

us: How wide is the tires?
dealer: umm, let me think, um they are 225/40 Series Pirelli's i think.

us: What type of exhaust can we get?
dealer: not sure.

k thanks.. see ya.. no deal there.
Old 09-19-2004, 03:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

That sucks. Maybe they were new hires?
Old 09-19-2004, 06:31 PM
Banned
SL Member

LIPTON Toyota Sucks.....read my review.......
Old 09-19-2004, 06:50 PM
5 Year Member

Lucky, Read into the text.. It's not like we were going around jumping around the in backseats of floor models. We are both days away from ordering our new cars.. So of course we are going to go to the dealers to check out the cars. So think before you speak.

We weren't being _______s to the dealer. We were just asking questions like you and me.

So go have fun with you're "life" while we go get one.

guys.. this is off-topic.. but can you order a life online? I want to be like Lucky!
Old 09-19-2004, 07:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by lucky
Exactly, so don't be surprised if they dick around and waste your time too. Who the f<beep>k goes to a car dealership "just to dick around"? Get a life.
? Not knowing facts is not "dickin around" its being unknowledgeable. I also had an experience like this went to the scion dealer I got my scion from. Took a friend to check out the tC guy told my friend that the white tC outside with the 19" rims body kit exhaust tint and some other options was only 17,000, He argued with me about it, anyways he was reading the base price and not the price after options
Old 09-19-2004, 07:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Strictly Scionized
SL Member

Im sorry, you say you are both days away from ordering the car? Yet he lists that he has one in his sig, with 174hp to boot? Makes sense, sure!
Old 09-20-2004, 02:29 AM
5 Year Member

He has that on his sig as a joke, because he gets numerous amounts of PM's saying "OMG What did you do to get 174hp?" i guess it amuses him.
Old 09-20-2004, 03:04 AM
5 Year Member

you know, I had a buddy in the car audio industry who use to have people come in an bug him all day long for "free" info and then go buy some equipment at Circuit City and the like. He totally got ripped off each time he lost commission while someone was him around. I was there one day (making a purchase of course) when he totally convinced some of the guys that were around with him that their pile Planet Audio or whatever they bought at CC could handle a 1/2 ohm mono load to a couple of crap brand 12" subs. I just sat there laughing my ___ off...and sure, a few weeks later, they were back, bithching that their amp smoked...imagine that...he responded: "oh sorry, I meant MY AMPS handle that..."
Old 09-20-2004, 04:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Rick and Rich are good guys, lucky stop picking on them
Old 09-20-2004, 06:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team Sushi
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scion Evolution

ironically, I judge dealers by how they treat their "dicking around" clients.

I had "dicked around" many a time at different scion dealers, and ultimately the one who was the most dedicated was the one who won my sale.

"Everytime a sale is made, either you sell them stock (or in this case a car) or they sell you a reason not to; either way a sale is made." -Boiler Room

If I'm in a dealership, it means I'm somewhat curious, and a good dealer will know exactly how much time to give, how to give it, and how to leave options open.

Good answers:
"I don't know but I'll get back to you, how to I get in touch with you. . . phone email?"
"I really want to help you out more, but I'm right in the middle of a sale. But I'll tell you what, I can get you a brochure, and you are welcome to take a look at the car, see how you like, and maybe take it for a test drive if your interested. Here's my card. I'm sorry I have to be rude, but I'll make it up to you if you decide to buy, and I'll make sure you get a great deal "
Smart tactics a good salesman would use. Gotta know when to blow em offand most importantly how, if they are going to waste your time. Not that I'm critiqueing dealers, I've been to plenty of good ones. But apparently you ran into a crappy one.

The problems is that the kind of "i know what I'm talking about" messy guesswork that some dealers use, actually results in sales. This applies to the dumb, idiotic mainstream of the buying public. They want a dealer who seems to know everything there is to know about their cars. . . the more educated buyers tend not to be as impressed.
Old 09-20-2004, 09:04 PM
5 Year Member

salesman at my local dealership told me that the tC is not a hatchback, but rather it has a trunk. That made me leave the lot no longer interested in the car, but fortunately I've since found out he was wrong so I'm still interested (but from a different dealership!).
Old 09-20-2004, 10:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Car salesmen are not judged by their knowledge of the vehicles, but by their ability to induce people to buy those vehicles.

The typical buyer isn't the car fanatic that tends to hang out in car forums, so many salesmen have learned to tell them what they want to hear, which is sometimes not the absolute (or even remote) truth. The rule often seems to be "If in doubt, make something up!"

That's the state of the business.
Old 09-21-2004, 12:51 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I must say, that when I do ask a question about the TC my salesman will say "I don't know" if he doesn't know.

He has been very straight forward with me on everything. That is why when I buy, it will be from him.
Old 09-21-2004, 04:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Some but not all dealerships...

I tried going to Wonderies Scion just to find out more about the TC before making my decision, afterall this was going to be my first new car and I was paying for it myself. The guy there was cool but didn't really know a whole lot to wow me.

Glendale Scion, whole different story. There's a guy there by the name of Matt and he knows his stuff. He's on the forums sometimes. Really good customer service, knowledgable and a overall cool guy. He basically gave me the inside and outs of the TC and basically sold me the car before it even arrived. Keep in mind that I wasn't in a rush and I was looking for a dealership that would give me my choice of color (BCP) and accessories (Basics, nothing extravagent). I still go to Glendale Scion here and there.