Notices
Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

Don't go trading that TC for that new Cobalt SS just yet..

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2008, 10:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by Zebman
Boost is boost, regardless of turbo size.

Incorrect Sir.

lolaa
Old 05-14-2008, 10:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

what you talking about chevy's being poop.... they are true power.!!!!there is a difference between import and domestic people that compare are idiots....
Old 05-14-2008, 10:33 PM

all american based manufacturers are feeling the heat to try and keep up with japanese-based auto makers. They are all trying new and different things...Dodge gives lifetime warranties, A Ford Fusion is based off a Mazda 6 chassis. Chevy is offering a cobalt SS with cool options for a great price. Kudos to them, because I can't wait to see what toyota will counter it with to try to win buyers back.
Old 05-14-2008, 10:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Ace418
all american based manufacturers are feeling the heat to try and keep up with japanese-based auto makers. They are all trying new and different things...Dodge gives lifetime warranties, A Ford Fusion is based off a Mazda 6 chassis. Chevy is offering a cobalt SS with cool options for a great price. Kudos to them, because I can't wait to see what toyota will counter it with to try to win buyers back.
I wouldn't say Chevy (GM's) offering is a cobalt T/c'd. The Malibu won best new car of the year (and maybe car of the year) and their new vue (saturn) is taking off. If you want to talk about Chevy's performance offering that would be the Corvette Zr1.

Chrysler along with lifetime warranties are now offering a guranteed 2.99 a gallon gas offer.

Ford is coming out with "EcoBoost" which is a twin turbo motor platform giving good gas mileage AND performance.

Toyota is continuing with the leading hybrid car and friendly well selling cars like the Camry.

Every car make has its own way to make money and get people. I wouldn't say "american cars are simply junk" because thats not really true, theres good and bad from ALL makes. This isn't simply an anti-american deal.
Old 06-04-2008, 12:11 PM
SL Member

Originally Posted by bigwillystyle23
id never own a chevy. EVER i dont like american cars and i especially dont like chevies.
Why do you hate them. I have to agree that the majority of them are douches. Even I get shuned upon for my car by other chevy owners, but everyone has them. Were's the love.
Old 06-04-2008, 12:17 PM
SL Member

Originally Posted by silverstreaktc
call me crazy, but would this motor be similar to it's sister? (the saturn sky redline motor)???
Yes it is. The lnf is the turbo with camphasing vvt and direct injection. A turbo SS makes as much wheel horse power as a stage two supercharged cobalt.
Old 06-04-2008, 12:23 PM
SL Member

Originally Posted by saibot
id never own a chevy. EVER i dont like american cars and i especially dont like chevies.
American cars arent built for you ladies ... so hate away.

hahaha you can hate when youre broke down on the side of the interstate.
I'm sorry dude but it won't break unless you break it. I've beaten the ____ out of my car and hasn't thrown a code yet. I've had a code go of because I didn't put the MAF on right. Besides that its all a misconseption. I've had yotas and chevys alike and both are very reliable cars.
Old 06-04-2008, 12:43 PM
SL Member

Originally Posted by Spicy_McHaggiz
Being a former cobalt owner and someone who has educated themselves quite a bit on the new car, I'll shed this light. (P.s. I'm not just any ol n00b)

The SS T/c makes 260 hp. To the person mentioning the sister car the sky redline, it uses the exact same 2.0L Ecotec motor (LNF engine code). Also GM has already expressed they will NOT offer stage kits for this car, reason being (or at least as many believe) the transmission is maxed out at the 260 hp output from the factory. Meaning the stock tranny cannot handle much more HP to it without breaking. This would not be good for GM to up the HP and break trannies. Another reason for no stage kits would be tunning. With Direct Injection the tuning is more advanced then that of the EFI used in many cars today.

It will be a fast car yes, but making it faster might be a bit of a problem
You are correct on some things, and yes tunning it is going to be a problem (look at the mazdaspeed 3). The f35 transmision was updated on the turbo cobalt to aid in the no lift shift capibilities of the car. No lift shift in terms is power shifting(and the only one in the market at that with a warranty). The transmision is infact alot stronger than the previous gen. the previous gen can only handle 268 torque, but those numbers are to control the consumer. There are a couple of people rolling around with the stock trany and have well over 300 wtq and have no problems. There are no stage kits, but there will be an update on the later model, and output will be brought up to 300 hp. The new turbo solstice coupe will be the first LNF equipted vehicle with the update. As far as the interior I have to agree, but who cares about the interior when you are stomping everyone else in the track. Just my two cents.
Old 06-04-2008, 12:58 PM
SL Member

Originally Posted by draxcaliber
well...that makes it alittle boring now doesn't it?

tell me, does it use the sametransmission from the sky/solstice which i am pretty sure is the same transmission from the colorado/canyon?

anyway, i have to say, it does sound like a really awesome car performance wise from the factory, but since it is already at the limits...i guess it would be good for people who just want performance and don't want to do it themselves. and ofcourse...GM quality doesn't mean $h!t these days.
No they don't share the same tranny. The cobalt has a f35 saab sourced trany. While the solstice has a six speed auto and manual built here.
Old 06-04-2008, 01:22 PM
SL Member

My final words on the cobalt are this. Its a very fun car to drive, relibility is very good, and I never had any problems with it. I owned three of them. The first I wrecked it and the second one was stolen from me, and the current one I have runs like a champ for the regular beetings it gets and I neglect it alot( I go underway a lot). Yes the interior looks like rubermade built it, but the skinny is I don't care when I'm running away from wrx, si, type-s, and evos. I'm not saying this car is unstopable, but any car has the potential to beet any car and reason people buy cars is because they like the car point blank. I own a 86 corrola and I love the car as much as my cobalt. that is my preferance. I like the way the tc looks and the cavernous back seat room( the naughty things I could do with that much room), but I'm content. As far as the very bias comments only proves the lack of knowledge and shows ignorance. To get an unbiased opinion look at the edmunds reliability report, and you will see that scion is bellow chevy, but toyota is in fourth place only beaten by honda, cadillac and lexus. Reliability is only deteminded by the consumer and age group. Here is a link http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...take_road_test .
Old 06-04-2008, 02:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by CarbonXe
http://www.sportcompactcarweb.com/editors/0804_sccp_jay_chen_boost_vs_flow/compressor_map.html

Here ya go. I found an article for any of the retards who think boost is a more important factor than CFM's.

It's also another reason why Honda's are the best vehicles on the market to boost. MAP > MAF.

Go ahead. Try to argue. You'll get be quiet within 2 posts.

Kthx.
Enlightening.

And if you want to know what it's like to put a LOT of power in a front wheel drive car...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sl5vY4aPiBs
Old 06-04-2008, 09:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by RenegadeSS
Originally Posted by Spicy_McHaggiz
Being a former cobalt owner and someone who has educated themselves quite a bit on the new car, I'll shed this light. (P.s. I'm not just any ol n00b)

The SS T/c makes 260 hp. To the person mentioning the sister car the sky redline, it uses the exact same 2.0L Ecotec motor (LNF engine code). Also GM has already expressed they will NOT offer stage kits for this car, reason being (or at least as many believe) the transmission is maxed out at the 260 hp output from the factory. Meaning the stock tranny cannot handle much more HP to it without breaking. This would not be good for GM to up the HP and break trannies. Another reason for no stage kits would be tunning. With Direct Injection the tuning is more advanced then that of the EFI used in many cars today.

It will be a fast car yes, but making it faster might be a bit of a problem
You are correct on some things, and yes tunning it is going to be a problem (look at the mazdaspeed 3). The f35 transmision was updated on the turbo cobalt to aid in the no lift shift capibilities of the car. No lift shift in terms is power shifting(and the only one in the market at that with a warranty). The transmision is infact alot stronger than the previous gen. the previous gen can only handle 268 torque, but those numbers are to control the consumer. There are a couple of people rolling around with the stock trany and have well over 300 wtq and have no problems. There are no stage kits, but there will be an update on the later model, and output will be brought up to 300 hp. The new turbo solstice coupe will be the first LNF equipted vehicle with the update. As far as the interior I have to agree, but who cares about the interior when you are stomping everyone else in the track. Just my two cents.
Sources for this "update" for 300 hp
Old 06-04-2008, 09:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by RenegadeSS
My final words on the cobalt are this. Its a very fun car to drive, relibility is very good, and I never had any problems with it. I owned three of them. The first I wrecked it and the second one was stolen from me, and the current one I have runs like a champ for the regular beetings it gets and I neglect it alot( I go underway a lot). Yes the interior looks like rubermade built it, but the skinny is I don't care when I'm running away from wrx, si, type-s, and evos. I'm not saying this car is unstopable, but any car has the potential to beet any car and reason people buy cars is because they like the car point blank. I own a 86 corrola and I love the car as much as my cobalt. that is my preferance. I like the way the tc looks and the cavernous back seat room( the naughty things I could do with that much room), but I'm content. As far as the very bias comments only proves the lack of knowledge and shows ignorance. To get an unbiased opinion look at the edmunds reliability report, and you will see that scion is bellow chevy, but toyota is in fourth place only beaten by honda, cadillac and lexus. Reliability is only deteminded by the consumer and age group. Here is a link http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...take_road_test .
A fanboy I see. This explains the posts.
Old 06-05-2008, 02:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Went to hot import nights columbus and got a close up look at the new and old Cobalt SS engine it was pretty cool. Don't ask me why Chevy had a booth at HIN though lol.
Old 06-05-2008, 02:28 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

^^^ they are one of the main sponsors ( a domestic comany for an import show lol)
Old 06-05-2008, 06:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

not to bash american cars but alot of ppl that i know have tranny problems. seems like a common thing from what i have seen.
Old 06-05-2008, 06:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

are all cobalt ss supercharged?
Old 06-05-2008, 06:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well this one is turboed but arent they usually supercharged? or is that only the supercharged cobalt ss?
Old 06-05-2008, 12:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by tC2_thumper
are all cobalt ss supercharged?
From 2005 to 2007 they had a Cobalt SS Supercharged and a Cobalt SS 2.4L n/a.

So no not all of them are s/c'd
Old 06-06-2008, 07:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

to bad they make one of the best cars ever built.

Quick Reply: Don't go trading that TC for that new Cobalt SS just yet..