2005-2010 [ANT10]

Door Lock/ Window LED change?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2005, 03:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Door Lock/ Window LED change?

How hard would it be to change the little lights that illuminate the Door lock and window button on the door? Is it just a simple bulb switch? Anyone know part numbers for red bulb replacements by chance?
Old 07-26-2005, 06:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Bump

No one has tried to change the door light color? Anyone even know what type of bulbs go in the swiches, or if you can get to them?
Old 07-26-2005, 06:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

not a clue sorry, why take the time to change such a small light
Old 07-26-2005, 02:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

try taking it apart and see for urself, or talk to the dealership and they should have a parts guide.
Old 07-26-2005, 03:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Huey
not a clue sorry, why take the time to change such a small light
I am changing my interior console lights to red, it would be nice to have those match too.

I will give it a look, see what I can find on my own.
Old 07-27-2005, 04:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I am not sure if anyone else is even interested in this, but I will post up my progress anyways.

I took the door apart using this handy guide: https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=24781
The window/ door controls came out pretty easy. The good news is that it is just green LEDs that light them up. The bad news is that it is not the same ones that are in the center console. They are smaller. I think they are this type of LED: http://www.lc-led.com/Products/department/29

I want to try and see what happens when I solder the other LED in its place. But I was unable to get the smaller LED off. In the morning I plan on going to Radio Shack to get some soldering wick to try and get the small LEDs off.

Anyone have any idea if I could use one of these http://www.lc-led.com/View/itemNumber/101 in place of these http://www.lc-led.com/Products/department/29 ? Even though the foot print is smaller I think I can solder it in there all right. If this does not work I dont know if I want to but $25 into LEDs just for the switches. If anyone is interested in spliting a set let me know.

John out
Old 07-27-2005, 01:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i can barely even notice that those are lit up. Hopefully changing them lights them up some more.
Old 07-27-2005, 06:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

So I got the solder wick and removed one of the LEDs. But they were still a biatch to get off. So I soldered one of the red LEDs that I have left over on in it place. It was a tight fit but I got it on there. I plugged it back in and it did not work. So I went back in and flipped it around in case the polarity was reversed. I plugged it back in and it worked!! Not only does it work but it is bright. :D I am very happy. Total Cost: $3.19 for soldering wick, and 5 left over red LEDs.

I still need to do the drivers side. But it did not take long. maybe 20 mins to carefully take the door apart. and another 20 to solder the two LEDs and 10mins to put it all back together. But now that I have done it once I should be able to do the drivers side in under 30 mins easy.

Its the little details that make a car good in my opinion. I think this really ties together the interior at night. Very worth the time to me. Now all I need is to replace the head unit.
Old 07-27-2005, 06:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You have any pictures to show off? I want to see.
Old 07-27-2005, 06:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I was going to do a DIY on this here soon was just waiting for time... I did it in my 99 Elantra its not hard at all with some basic soldering skills behind yourself...
Old 07-27-2005, 07:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I like to see photos too! Sounds like you are pioneering this one.
Old 07-27-2005, 07:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

what kind of LEDs? 3mm? 5mm? or those flat LEDs?
Old 07-27-2005, 07:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I will try to get photos after I get off work (midnight EST) and finish the drivers side. I used the same LEDs that I used for the center console http://www.lc-led.com/View/itemNumber/101 They are not the same LEDs as the ones that I replaced, but they work. The stock LEDs look exactly like these: http://www.lc-led.com/View/itemNumber/54

I have noticed one weird thing. When you turn the car off all the LEDs stay lit till you open the door. But the new door switch LED turns off as soon as you turn off the car. It works fine besides that. Even the new Window switch stays lit. I dont know much about LEDs. I guess the voltage may drop when the car is off or something. But it is no big deal. I dont think I would notice except I have been looking at them all day. and still had the stock one in on the drivers side to compare it to.
Old 07-28-2005, 07:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I got home and was just getting ready to start when the power went out. It was out for about an hour and half. But just before I was about to give up and go to bed it came back on. So I got the drivers side done tonight and yall get your pics.

Before

Switch Controls removed

Fliped over

Circuit board exposed

Circuit board

Stock LEDs lit up

One red and one green LED lit up (the other red one is flashing)

After

The drivers side was one big circuit board and the passenger side was two smaller ones. The both were still tricky and you have very little room to work with on some of the LEDs. The drivers side lock does stay lit when you turn off the car and before you open the door. Unlike the passenger. weird. Can someone check to see if it does that with the stock LEDs?
Old 07-31-2005, 09:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I just did this today... Wasnt too hard...

Here is the DIY https://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie...asc&highlight=
Old 07-07-2007, 09:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I can't wait to do this. What's the best website to get the leds from?
Old 07-07-2007, 11:18 PM

10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

ebay.

but they sell in fairly large quantities.... hmm.. look them up anyway.. they're 1206 sized.
Old 07-24-2007, 08:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

wow ~~ replace that little bit Led u know hou much time need to spend
Old 07-24-2007, 08:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It took the guy that did my swap here in hawaii (had my HVAC/Steering Wheel/Door done on 7/7, changing LEDs listening to live earth concerts) Took about 20 minutes to do the LED's for the doors. They were extreamly simple to swap. It took longer to get the door off than to swap the LEDs. And for those of yall who say you cant tell, wait til you change them to another color, and youd be suprised how noticeable and HOW MUCH BETTER it looks.

But yea, Theres 3 for the drivers side, and one on each of the passenger side switches. No resistors are needed, just gotta take the amber LED off and put on what color you need. No harder than doing the steering wheel.

Well by request here are some photos of the swap completed with my cell phone (sorry if it looks bright, my parking at my is very well lit.

Drivers side

Passenger side

And my best attempt to get a shot of the drivers side with everything else (sorry bout the light at my apartments parking)
Old 07-24-2007, 08:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yah show me some pics after u done the mod ,I wanna know how it looks

Quick Reply: Door Lock/ Window LED change?