Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

E brake weak

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2005, 04:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default E brake weak

Hey guys, I just moved into a new house, and the driveway is really steep. so when i park there i put the E-brake on, and put the tranny into 4th. the thing that bugs me is that when i step out of the car i can hear and watch the car move slightly, as if the brakes aren't holding the car tight enough. I've also noticed it when trying to take my subs out. If i push against the car at all, even while i level ground, the car moves slightly. even with the e brake at maximum.

When i got an oil change the dealership said they adjusted the ebrakes, but it didn't improve anything. Has anyone else had this problem, or am I the only one?

thanks in advance
Old 05-26-2005, 04:58 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Every car I've seen does it. No matter how little, they all do. Autos even do it . I dont know. Maybe I'm just being too non shalant about it. Is this your first manual?
Old 05-26-2005, 04:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
DeepSouth Scions
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Is the "body" of the car moving, or are the wheels actually moving too? Mine does the same thing, in fact all of my cars have done that and they creek a bit.

edit, that sounds a bit stupid, but I think you know what I mean??
Old 05-26-2005, 05:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

no, i've driven manuals for a while. the car i had the longest was an 89 celica. and the ebrake on that car was rock solid, you couldn't budge the car at all. It also had much better A/C than the tC, but i digress.

I've never had a car that did something like this, so i was just wondering if its me
Old 05-26-2005, 05:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
DeepSouth Scions
SL Member
Scion Evolution

All the "new" type of ACs stink IMHO. Even in expensive cars.
Old 05-26-2005, 05:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Yeah they do, I think the refigerant they use is ____ty, but environmentally friendly, so i guess i can deal with it. I would like to beable to walk outside and not get skin cancer instantly.

But about the ebrake. Does this happen to anyone else's tC?
Old 05-26-2005, 05:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

All my cars have weak eBrakes. I've heard a couple things about manuals... park em in Reverse or 1st, they're the strongest gear (Which any gear should be, right?) Out of habbit i do 1st.

For the AC... yes, all new cars are gonna be weaker than older cars, because the freon they use to use is bad for the ozone, so they have to use environmentaly safe freon for the AC.
Old 05-26-2005, 05:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
DeepSouth Scions
SL Member
Scion Evolution

I agree about the enviro, I'm for it. It is tough some days when the temps get above 90, and the humidity seems practically the same....makes me wish my car had an IceBlower Mod.

and the EBrake I wouldn't worry too much, unless you see the car really slipping, it's most likely normal.
Old 05-26-2005, 05:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Try 110. we've been averaging 108 the past few days. Thats tough
Old 05-26-2005, 05:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
DeepSouth Scions
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Yeah, 110 is hot...I gotta tell ya though, I've spent time out there in AZ in that heat hiking, and I would take it anyday over this Blank Blank humidity. But all said, hot is truly hot for us all. whew...thank goodness for the moonroof to push all that air out.
Old 05-26-2005, 05:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

It is the car shifting due to flex in the brake components. Once it shifts it will not go anywhere. All of the cars I have owned did this as well.

On the AC subject, while R134A refridgerant does suck (does not expand as fast and also leaks much easier), there is a TSB of some sort regarding the tCs AC. Apparently some of them are not cooling very well. Mine has been ok so far (up to about 85 - 90 degrees) so I think I am ok. But if it is excessively bad I would have the dealer check it. I have heard of a couple that only produced air at about 64 degrees. One of which was warrantied by the dealer, not sure about the other.
Old 05-26-2005, 05:37 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: E brake weak

Originally Posted by Superballs tC
Hey guys, I just moved into a new house, and the driveway is really steep. so when i park there i put the E-brake on, and put the tranny into 4th. the thing that bugs me is that when i step out of the car i can hear and watch the car move slightly, as if the brakes aren't holding the car tight enough. I've also noticed it when trying to take my subs out. If i push against the car at all, even while i level ground, the car moves slightly. even with the e brake at maximum.

When i got an oil change the dealership said they adjusted the ebrakes, but it didn't improve anything. Has anyone else had this problem, or am I the only one?

thanks in advance
you actually adjust the tension of the ebrake.... not difficult. Pop off the console and you'll find a 10mm bolt on line with the ebrake. All you have to do is thread it farther up. I did it to mine and it help dramatically.
Old 05-26-2005, 09:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

my car does that. but then my car is 13 years old.

and the AC...seems like all new cars have a "ac problem" but i'm cool with that

we've been averaging mid-70s around here this week, which is pretty much "warm weather" as far as we're concerned.
if it hits the 80s...then it's pretty "hot" 90s is unheard of where i live.
Old 05-27-2005, 12:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Heliotropic

thanks in advance
you actually adjust the tension of the ebrake.... not difficult. Pop off the console and you'll find a 10mm bolt on line with the ebrake. All you have to do is thread it farther up. I did it to mine and it help dramatically.
I agree completely.. adjust the e-brake to have more tension.. it's obvious it's so loose the car is moving, not the purpose of an e-brake!!

UPDATE: DO NOT ADJUST THE TENSION IN THE CABLE. We all know now, couple years later, that you adjust it at the rear brakes and adjust the parking brake there, NOT at the e-brake handle. Well, we all learn.
Old 05-27-2005, 01:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yeah im glad im not the only one with this problem
imma going to actually try to tension it tonight if i have a chance...because i honestly was worried for awhile that my ebrake was worn out or something..like i would pull 80% up and it would still roll down on an incline..unless i pulled 90% to 100%(to the end of the lever travel)...it will roll...and another thing...sorry to thread hijack but just a rant...has anyone had trouble with closing their sunroof at a full stop?? because when im stopped and try to close it..it will touch the front deflectors braces and move back automatically like something was blocking it...it doesn't do it now i tried a couple times...but im just afraid to open it and not have it close on me...
Old 05-27-2005, 01:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

a hilled driveway = bad drive way! poor automatic cars >_< i heard it goes bad for the tranny :T
Old 05-27-2005, 02:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

In the autos I have had I know that parking on steep inclines put pressure on the tranny , thats why I set the Ebrake while the tranny is in neutral and let my foot off the brake . let the pressure rest on the ebrake then put it in park . Also makes takin the shifter out of P alot easier if you do that .

One thing I have noticed about the tC I really have to crank up on the ebrake handle for the brakes to engage . My honda I pulled the handle up 1/3 of the way and it was rock solid . tC I have to pull the handle up 3/4 the way of how far the handle will go for it to grab . Maybe I will try out that center console adjustment thing myself . How difficult is it to get to it . I havent tried to disassemble any of the interior yet
Old 05-27-2005, 02:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

my tc does it but only when the back of the car is going down an incline not the other way around. or somthing like that
Old 05-27-2005, 04:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

...i put the E-brake on, and put the tranny into 4th...
Try parking it in 1st or reverse.... I read that there is less of a chance for the car to roll because the gearing ratio is higher on those gears. I always do it and it works for me. And yes, the ebreak is weak unless you pull the sh*t out of it LoL. Good Luck.
Old 05-28-2005, 04:13 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by the.whoster
my car does that. but then my car is 13 years old.

and the AC...seems like all new cars have a "ac problem" but i'm cool with that

we've been averaging mid-70s around here this week, which is pretty much "warm weather" as far as we're concerned.
if it hits the 80s...then it's pretty "hot" 90s is unheard of where i live.
Not to go too far off topic, but I drove through Los Angeles last year near the famous records building and the thermostat in my car said 107. Granted, Torrence is closer to the beach than downtown LA, but I wouldn't say 90s is unheard of.

Quick Reply: E brake weak