2005-2010 [ANT10]

E brake weak

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2005, 06:03 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: E brake weak

Originally Posted by Heliotropic
you actually adjust the tension of the ebrake.... not difficult. Pop off the console and you'll find a 10mm bolt on line with the ebrake. All you have to do is thread it farther up. I did it to mine and it help dramatically.
got a step by step with pics (or great description) on how to do this?
Old 12-28-2005, 07:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Just cuz I feel like being technical..its not an E-Brake anymore..its a P(arking) Brake.
Some yahoo actually sued because his "E-Brake" did not keep him safe in an E-mergency. He still lost but Toyota/Scion changed all references of E-Brake to P-Brake. And not the kind of pee break you got in kindergarten.
Old 12-28-2005, 07:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Big Sky Scion
SL Member

My parking brake is lame too - but I think it's only an adjustment away - they use cables, unlike the "real" brakes, which stretch.

As for the air, the new stuff is lamer. We just got a bid for new AC in our house, and the prices have gone through the roof (no pun) because of all the enviro stuff. The new coolant is called "puron" but that may be only for home/ind units.

Scott
Old 12-28-2005, 07:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

like said before put it in 1st when u park it... why are u putting it in 4th anyway?
Old 12-28-2005, 07:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Concept in Motion Crew
SL Member

my driveway is on a hill and i always just leave it in 1st...

anyone notice that the e-brake cable is getting loose... i mean i know it does OVER TIME but i've had my car for like 5 mo what's the deal??? anyone else have this happen???
Old 12-28-2005, 08:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Use 1st or reverse when parking. As a previous poster stated, the gearing makes it more difficult for the car to roll.
Old 12-31-2005, 12:41 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

yhea mine has but i also been using my ebrake for power slides when im bored hahahahah but yhea just take off your arm rest and re tighten the tensioner and youll be fine if thats not the case then more than likely you need to replace your pads. and to whoever said they were having a problem with there sun roof not closing at a stop i had that for about a month i would have to hand close the deflector and then hit the button. other wise it would go back once it touched the deflector railing.. then one day it ____ed me off so i hit the railing with a hammer.. guess it bent what ever was outta wack..its fixed now =D
Old 12-31-2005, 02:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Park and put it in 1st,
shut off car, and take feet off all pedals
let it drift that inch
apply parking brake

your car will not move, mine doesnt.
Old 12-31-2005, 04:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i've pulled the parking break 2 times while driving 35 mph just to see if it would lock the tires...it did.

i use the e-brake every time i park, if i'm on a hill, i either use 1st or reverse depending on which direction my car is facing and the ebrake also.

it does sort move after you engage it, but it won't roll away, unless its totally loose
Old 12-31-2005, 06:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

dude i think the ebrake sucks too. my drive way is like 20 degrees. the problem just started. i have around 9700 mi on the car. when i drive up my drive way and pull the ebrake when parking, its start to roll back and i'm like wtf? i have to pull the ebrake all the way for it to stop. i checked the brake pads and everything and they have around 1/2 left. i think this TC i got is messed up because also, sometimes when i brake hard, all you hear is grinding of the brakes because i guess it doesn't get contact and seriously gets me scared because i'm like OH CRAP i can't stop. of course eventually the brakes get a hold and i stop.
Old 12-31-2005, 07:39 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

thats the abs responding let off for a sec and re apply.. ive had that problem when im doing hard breaking. im at 22k miles, phi i suggest you re-tighten the the ebrake line.
Old 12-31-2005, 10:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

so when i park there i put the E-brake on, and put the tranny into 4th
why put it into 4th gear? Only use 1st and reverse. Those are the two hardest gears. The higher you go, the easier it is to roll. I have never own a manual but that's from my reading in the last several months.
Old 12-31-2005, 04:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Big Sky Scion
SL Member

^^^ Agreed. 1st and R are the only gears you should use to park with.

Scott
Old 01-01-2006, 12:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

oh man, i think it's funny when people still don't realize what ABS is
Old 01-01-2006, 03:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by xnevergiveinx
oh man, i think it's funny when people still don't realize what ABS is
ABS everyone has them...help you stand and keep your posture. Some has exceptionally nice ones that shows. ; )
Old 01-01-2006, 05:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

The ABS in this car engages way to quickly. Its super annoying somes when you try to slow down for a red light.
Old 01-01-2006, 08:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Everyone who posted said almost the exact same thing just differently phrased. Wow.
I would answer the question, but its already been answered x20.
Old 01-01-2006, 11:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The parking brake is a drum setup inside of the rear rotors so you cant judge the pad life without removing the rotors completley. Unless you drive wth you e-brake applied all the time you should not have to change the shoes for a long long time.
Old 01-05-2006, 05:40 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: E brake weak

Originally Posted by yesti
Originally Posted by Heliotropic
you actually adjust the tension of the ebrake.... not difficult. Pop off the console and you'll find a 10mm bolt on line with the ebrake. All you have to do is thread it farther up. I did it to mine and it help dramatically.
got a step by step with pics (or great description) on how to do this?
ok, here we go. the short, short version. pluck off the top part of the center console. not the radio 'top' but physical 'top' of the center console. unscrew 4 screws holding it to the rest of the dash. unscrew the 2 10mm, i think, bolts in the storage box. remove center console. be sure to unplug the cigarette lighter and the accessory plug outlet in the storage box. then you will see the 10mm nuts attached to the e-brake cable. loosen them with 2 10mm wrenches in opposite directions. tighten the bottom one till the brake handle goes up 6 clicks and your car doesn't move. the 'range' is 6-9 but it will stretch so just set it to 6. if you max out the nut and are still rolling down the hill then you have to adjust the rear drum brakes. but that is a whole nuther post.
Old 01-14-2006, 03:24 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

keep i in 1st

Quick Reply: E brake weak