Notices
Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

every TC owner please read, my crash test

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2004, 10:02 PM
5 Year Member

Default every TC owner please read, my crash test

well tc owners, im really lucky to be here typing right now, I think i should be dead by the look of my car and alot of other people think that too. I was a owner of a beautiful indigo blue Tc until saturday night, Long story short, its getting pancaked, and im really beat up bad. But the important thing that I think I should tell you guys is the airbags did not go off at all. My car is not repairable. My pops went to the tow yard and took pics so I will be able to show you guys sometime in near future. But Im not sure about the scion products safety features, maybe thats why they throw in a medic packet I dont know, I would bet on this though, if the bags did come out I belive I would not have been injured as bad. maybe they are working on a recall or something, but please be careful in these cars. They are not very tuff or sturdy but sure are very nice cars with a nice feel when rideing. I know I will not purchase another Tc. I guess thats the chance you take buying a brand new product.
short explan. of what car looks like---- My whole passenger side is crushed in to center console, and front end is smashed! I was solo at time of the wreck think god!
flip
Old 12-06-2004, 10:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

What actually caused this wreck? What speed? What'd you hit?

Sorry not to pick on things, it just makes a big difference. Air bags go off in a front end crash if the speed/intensity is strong enough. Side crashes should only go off if you have side airbags. Just my input, but more details and pics of the whole thing would be very helpful.

Glad you're ok though man.
Old 12-06-2004, 10:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

hey glad you're alright.. i did see the nhtsa (government) test video of the tC and sure the car is totalled, but the "safety cage" around the crash dummy was completely fine..

i hear you about how flimsy it seems up front.. but that's the crumple zones, it gives in and is smashed so that the energy doesn't get all the way to you.. I've talked to body shop guys and they tell me these cars made today are "throw away cars".. that if you get into any accident it usually means the car is gone..

personally.. I'd rather have the car be toast and walk away than the other way around. If you think about it.. the car did it's job and protected you. Even though you have some bruises, you'll live to drive another day.. glad you're alright..
Old 12-06-2004, 10:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Glad to hear you are alright.

Airbags are not desgnied to go off in every crash. They will do more harm then good if the go off in many crashes. If you walked a way from a crash as bad as you describe then I think things worked like they were suppose to.
Old 12-06-2004, 10:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

what happened? nhtsa gave side-impact 4 stars, and frontal 5/4 stars (for driver/passenger). as stated above, airbags don't go off for side-impacts, so I'd definitely like to hear the whole story about what happened.
Old 12-06-2004, 10:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

glad you are okay.

hey, if the crash was as bad as you say it was, and you survived, that would sure as hell make me go buy another one. This time make sure you get side airbags.
Old 12-06-2004, 10:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

My whole passenger side is crushed in to center console, and front end is smashed! I was solo at time of the wreck think god!
Sounds like maybe u were hit from the side first then ran into something after initial impact in the front. Front airbags will not deploy with the side crash. I'm just quessing here i'm only going off little info
Old 12-06-2004, 11:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Wow, these cars are very safe car's , i would not Question that, but im glad your ok, And i hope Everything works out,

Be happy to be alive,
Old 12-07-2004, 02:20 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm gonna need to see some pictures ASAP! I love to see wrecked cars. I'm glad your all right. How fast were you going? I think everyone would like the whole story...So please share.
Old 12-07-2004, 03:11 AM
5 Year Member

Sorry to hear that your car is totaled...

I am surprise that u feel that way about tC... I think your tC save your life... Air bag working or not.. that depends on how the accident happen....

Your car is totaled and U post here a day after your accident... I think that's proof tC is a safe car...
Old 12-07-2004, 03:47 AM
Bam
5 Year Member

The guy is a fool and too quick to blame his car. Can't give a person like that sympathy.

You would probably have been worse off or even dead in the other econo boxes. His car saved his life and he is butthole hurt he got a little injured. Sounds like it was a pretty severe crash and the end results would have been similar in any other car if not worse.

The TC has proven to be admirable in crash tests.

And since you like to make assumptions, I am going to make my own based on your lack of details...

I am going to assume you are a crappy driver, probally was driving a little too fast for your experience, lost control of your car and slid into a tree.
Old 12-07-2004, 04:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

I want pics...and a story would be helpful as well.
Old 12-07-2004, 04:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by shimmy
I'm gonna need to see some pictures ASAP! I love to see wrecked cars. I'm glad your all right. How fast were you going? I think everyone would like the whole story...So please share.
woohoo someone else that likes to see wrecked cars, check out my site http://www.wreckedscions.com

i wish there was pictures in this forum ill have to check back later for them i guess
Old 12-07-2004, 04:49 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well Flip Magoo, please tell us what your going to buy thats gonna be safer then the tC for the same money or less??
I know the tC scored very high in safety tests.
Old 12-07-2004, 05:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Bam
The guy is a fool and too quick to blame his car. Can't give a person like that sympathy.

You would probably have been worse off or even dead in the other econo boxes. His car saved his life and he is butthole hurt he got a little injured. Sounds like it was a pretty severe crash and the end results would have been similar in any other car if not worse.

The TC has proven to be admirable in crash tests.

And since you like to make assumptions, I am going to make my own based on your lack of details...

I am going to assume you are a crappy driver, probally was driving a little too fast for your experience, lost control of your car and slid into a tree.

wow, what an ___... more feelings (good feelings at least) for a car than for a human being... he posted to inform us of his situation... he wanted to warn us that his airbags didn't go off... so he didn't know how they work, the airbags didn't go off... he was concerned about all OUR well being and you flame him...

yeesh, sorry... I don't often go off... but some people just don't get it O_o
Old 12-07-2004, 05:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

The Scion tC does very well in accidents. Of course any car can smash up like a piece of paper. I see them on television every week here in San Antonio. Some of them make your skin crawl. Here is one instance of a tC crash:

THE GUY WALKED AWAY!!!

From the accidents that I've heard of about the tC, people have all lived. I'm not saying that it is going to be the case 100% of the time, but you need to give the car some credit. It is very safe. It's a Toyota, after all. Not only is it going to last forever, but it can save your life.

My comments about the original posts are:
If the entire side is crushed to the center console, you had to have been traveling very very fast, or you hit a stationary object (light pole, tree). The air bags will not go off if you are hit from the side (unless of course you have side impact airbags).

- Desi
Old 12-07-2004, 06:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Blue tC
The Scion tC does very well in accidents. Of course any car can smash up like a piece of paper. I see them on television every week here in San Antonio. Some of them make your skin crawl. Here is one instance of a tC crash:

THE GUY WALKED AWAY!!!

From the accidents that I've heard of about the tC, people have all lived. I'm not saying that it is going to be the case 100% of the time, but you need to give the car some credit. It is very safe. It's a Toyota, after all. Not only is it going to last forever, but it can save your life.

If the entire side is crushed to the center console, you had to have been traveling very very fast, or you hit a stationary object (light pole, tree). The air bags will not go off if you are hit from the side (unless of course you have side impact airbags).

- Desi
damn that dude walked away from that wreck

but then again if flip mangoo got hit on the driver side ...think he won't be so lucky...but good to hear that you are still with us, good luck on your next vehicle
Old 12-07-2004, 06:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Blue tC

THE GUY WALKED AWAY!!!

- Desi
if your going to link an image that way from my site you could atleast post the link for the news article too. thats why i had it in the description

http://www.wcpo.com/news/2004/local/10/10/poleax.html
heres the article

The driver of a Toyota Scion is lucky to be alive after totaling his "Generation Y" car.

Police say the driver veered off of I-71 and struck a pole near the Dana Avenue exit.

Police say the man was conscious and able to talk to them when they pulled him out of the wreckage. He is listed in stable condition at University Hospital.

The accident remains under investigation.
Old 12-07-2004, 07:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team N.V.S.

the news reporter said toyota SeeOn, what a *****.. lol.... btw.. gald your ok, post some pics if possible.
Old 12-07-2004, 07:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

This is the second post I've read about the side air bags not deploying...

Quick Reply: every TC owner please read, my crash test