Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

first disappointment... :( (roofrack)

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2004, 11:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default first disappointment... :( (roofrack)

so picked up my scion last week after getting confirmation from both Scion and Yakima that they had a rack to fit it. get the rack in today, start putting it together and see "Note #112: The sunroof should not be opened while the rack is installed. Remove rack when not in use." WTF??? And this one: "Note #152: Rear hatch will interfere with some accessories. Use caution when opening." Anybody figure out how to put a hitch on a tC yet??? Roof racks look cooler but the sunroof was a pretty big selling point. I'm talking with them now about the prospect of doing a special fit for the tC, but not holding my breath.

Old 10-18-2004, 11:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

A panaramic sunroof on a liftback car isn't exactly the greatest environment for a roof rack.
Old 10-19-2004, 12:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScioNRG

Exactly, you should've got a Civic
Old 10-19-2004, 12:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

If you could open the sunroof with the roofrack in place, you'd get hideous windnoise. Also, driving with it on will seriously affect your gas mileage, I would recommend taking it off whenever you don't need it. A fairing can help with both of these problems, but they'll still be issues. As far as opening the hatch, they are trying to warn you before you pop it up and slam the glass onto your bikerack or canoe or something. They can't plan for all the crazy things peeps will try to do with a roofrack...

I must say I'm rather surprised, I've always thought sports coupes were made to handle odd sized loads well... :? Did I mention i got a 27 inch TV, still in the Box, into my Box this weekend?
Old 10-19-2004, 12:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

lol... I've been to that IHOP. It's near the Scion of Waldorf, MD. I AM SO COOL.
Old 10-19-2004, 01:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by TheScionicMan
If you could open the sunroof with the roofrack in place, you'd get hideous windnoise.
well, just to make it clear, the reason there's a link to a bike company in my sig is that I WORK FOR A BIKE COMPANY. I race downhill mountain bikes every couple of weekends in the summer, and even when I'm not racing I'll probably be loading the bike onto the car and heading out someplace to ride. as for the wind noise, yeah, but it's something that I've gotten used to anyway, plus I did get a fairing from Yak for the setup. nothing quite like doing 100mph in a 20th anniversary GTI with 2 50lb DH bikes bolted to the roof. :twisted:

well, will have to see exactly how and where it hits, have a feeling that the main problem is going to be the wind deflector that comes up when you open the sunroof. the "towers" seem to be off to the side enough and are pretty tall. think that Yak's still trying to figure out what fits and what doesn't (although heard a rumor that a racked-out tC will be in the Yakima 2005 catalogue.
Old 10-19-2004, 02:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by C Money
No, he shoulda got a damn truck and just throw his junk in the back bed...
Old 10-19-2004, 02:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by zach
Originally Posted by C Money
No, he shoulda got a damn truck and just throw his junk in the back bed...
eh, it's not surprising why the Japanese didn't include anything like a hitch rack or roof rack, they just figured that the fat lazy american kids wouldn't want them. looks like I was right.
Old 10-19-2004, 02:28 AM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
DeepSouth Scions
SL Member

I got a 32" tv into the back of my xA. of course you caould trade the tC for an xB and put em in the back
Old 10-19-2004, 02:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Ashe_WCM
I got a 32" tv into the back of my xA. of course you caould trade the tC for an xB and put em in the back
they DO fit in the back, I had one in this weekend. and maybe in a couple years I won't mind taking my DH bike caked in mud, knocking the biggest clumps of dirt off and shoving it in the back. it's just that now I'm still in the "park in the parking lot far away from the door of the supermarket so soccer moms don't smash the side of it when they get out of their Explorers..."

(but if I had an xA or an xB the roof rack would fit just fine...)
Old 10-19-2004, 03:59 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Posted before but since the thread asked:
Old 10-19-2004, 04:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

where'd you get the hitch installed?? I was informed by Scion that a hitch would not fit on the tC...
Old 10-19-2004, 04:47 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

i wouldn't get it done at the same place again. The garage damaged the frame....long expensive story. I'm not naming them because of legal reasons. Uhaul will have one eventually or you can spend about $300 to get a custom hitch made at a trailer place. But choose carefully where you go.
Old 10-19-2004, 12:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by blitzcat
i wouldn't get it done at the same place again. The garage damaged the frame....long expensive story. I'm not naming them because of legal reasons. Uhaul will have one eventually or you can spend about $300 to get a custom hitch made at a trailer place. But choose carefully where you go.
thanks, I might put the roof rack on now and then maybe see about getting a hitch installed in the spring. thanks for the info, the scion dealer said "no way" as far as a hitch went. a custom hitch might be the way to go, bike racks work best with 2" hitches, but that's usually not an option for small cars. thanks, i'll see how the rack fits anyway and will post pics.