Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

Freakin Freeway debris

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2007, 03:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Years ago a refridgerator was on the freeway, the truck in front of me tried to swerve but hit it. I didn't see it in time and part of it (or the truck) flew up and shattered my windshield on my old car. About a month ago there was an empty box that I hit and it didn't damage anything but pushed my lower grill loose. It's like a freakin obstacle course on our freeways.
Old 09-18-2007, 03:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

**** caltrans, **** glendale PD, **** CHP, **** LAPD. nobody is worth shiat here. they dont do jack shiat. they said "well if you slowed down you couldve avoided it". Hey **** im on the ******* freeway jack@$$. dang. im so ____ed off. GRRRRR.

ok now can you guys help me get a front lip? im tired and too ____ed of to search.
Old 09-18-2007, 05:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team Sushi
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by DjEzE
**** caltrans, **** glendale PD, **** CHP, **** LAPD. nobody is worth shiat here. they dont do jack shiat. they said "well if you slowed down you couldve avoided it". Hey **** im on the ******* freeway jack@$$. dang. im so ____ed off. GRRRRR.

ok now can you guys help me get a front lip? im tired and too ____ed of to search.
Not that I disagree with you, but what's your need with Glendale PD? I work in Glendale so i'm curious.

In regards to CHP, they're practically non-existent. Go to nor-Cal, and they practically swarm the freeways.
Old 09-18-2007, 05:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

gpd got nothing to do with it i just felt like _____in at them yesterday lol i know some cops over there and i called them they started laughing. lol refered me to CHP.
Old 09-18-2007, 06:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team Sushi
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scion Evolution

FYI, GPD has zero tolerance for J walking... Lol, they have my boss a ticket!
Old 10-05-2007, 06:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scion Evolution

How's this for your freeway debris? It used to be sitting in the middle of the freeway... some dude wanted to move his house but decided to take a different route he wasn't authorized to...darn thing hit an overpass and fell from the trailer. what a scene! Try dodging that in traffic So a week later it's still there (with a major graffiti makeover and a 'For Rent' sign meant as a joke). niice.
Old 10-05-2007, 07:38 AM
SL Member

Originally Posted by jurassic1

How's this for your freeway debris? It used to be sitting in the middle of the freeway... some dude wanted to move his house but decided to take a different route he wasn't authorized to...darn thing hit an overpass and fell from the trailer. what a scene! Try dodging that in traffic So a week later it's still there (with a major graffiti makeover and a 'For Rent' sign meant as a joke). niice.
welp, at least they finally got it off the freeway and to Santa Clarita, dont know what they did with it though
Old 10-05-2007, 11:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ouch sorry to hear about your misfortune! A couple of weeks ago I ran over a debris tire on the freeway and completely blew out my front right tire and bent the front right fender area. This was in my 96 Corolla.

It was good in a way because without totaling my Corolla I wouldn't have gotten my tC ;)
Old 10-05-2007, 01:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

sry to hear that bud..I had something like that a few months back where im about to get on the interstate at night i see something and i had no reaction to move i was going to fast...I thought i cleared it and roughly 20 mins later a semi honks his horn like a million times and yells your on fire... LOL i was like BS and i pulled over and im like wtf so i was like ummmm and i looked under my car and i saw a whole pack of springs wrapped around my midpipe....

Old 10-05-2007, 04:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Just yesterday on the 405 I hit a thin metal rod about a foot long. It was airborne at the time and I thought it was just a twig or something, but I realised it was metal when it hit my front bumper and I heard a big clunk. I checked later and there was a chip in the paint on the bumper and some of the paint is missing from my Figure corner grille. It struck the lower-left corner grille head-on. If I had fog lights, I would be needing a replacement for sure. I also consider myself lucky because I had left that gap wide open with no grille for quite some time. I just recently got the corner grilles to cover the holes. If there was no grille, the metal rod would have gone straight inside and could have done more damage.

Btw, lawl at the house on the freeway. I drove past that almost every day while it was there. Every day it had new graffiti and vandalism.
Old 10-05-2007, 05:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

oouch Rod sorry to hear that.
Old 10-05-2007, 07:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by jurassic1

omg that's funny.. somone should have set that thing on fire.
Old 10-05-2007, 10:51 PM
5 Year Member

SL Member

I'm sorry about all the stories, someone should take some responsibility for this. hell, I drive the nj turnpike all the time and have noticed early in the morning and late at night that have pick up truck that gather major debris off the road and shoulder and they run street sweepers right behibd them. Ur local gov't should use a similar initiative, just MHO. hope you guys can get someone to do something because that ish is dangerous.
Old 10-05-2007, 11:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

SoCal has a big problem with debris left in and on the side of the road I'm on the road practically every day and I never see a truck picking up debris. Now occasionally I'll see a street sweeper sweeping the side of the road, but thats like once a month.

It really ____es me off too since a piece of tire from a semi hit my lower front left bumper an scraped away the paint on my new xD!!! If you want pics, go here LINK. Don't know where to fix it, dealer referred me to their mobile guy but I don't know..
Old 10-06-2007, 01:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team Sushi
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scion Evolution

Both Mayor villaingrossa and his hired staff (whom were appointed to fix our roads and traffic problems) are too busy flying to foreign countries (true fact) using tax payer money to pay attention to local matters. And I thought foreign policy was a federal matter!

I'm no die hard right wing maniac, but this is what happens when you have an extremist left wing gov't. We have some of the highest tax rates, period, and the local gov collects tons and tons of money and spends it with nothing to show. We spend more per capita on our schools here in CA and they are far below average, try they have the stones to ask for more money.

It seems that everyone is so happy with hating Bush and their "peace" bumper stickers, they forgot to notice how badly our local government SUCKS! From rolling blackouts to schools to roads to crime... They are all state/city/county affairs. I say we start by impeaching villaingrossa and our congressmen for misallocating funds.
Old 10-06-2007, 02:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

indeed
Old 10-06-2007, 05:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i hit a construction cone on the freeway last month. 1 cone in my lane NO construction anywhere near- might have fallen off a truck or something- hit it at 45mph (tried to get in the next lane but the car next me paced me like I had spotted a cop somewhere). ripped off lower grille, cracked lower bumper and pushed up plastic pan below radiator. Luckily all damage was only cosmetic and new Fig LLC grille covers up all visible damage!
Old 10-06-2007, 06:21 PM
5 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ChelsDS
SoCal has a big problem with debris left in and on the side of the road I'm on the road practically every day and I never see a truck picking up debris. Now occasionally I'll see a street sweeper sweeping the side of the road, but thats like once a month.
I've seen Caltrans sweep the Interstate 5 at Burbank left and right shoulders once in a while. But they have to close off two lanes at a time while driving 15 mph. They do it around 11 a.m. weekdays (every 3 months?).

I've seen people's bumper with license plate still attach in the center dividers. I've hit blown-out semi tires strips and unknown metal objects. One time, I was driving and a VW Beetle hubcabs came flying off and still spinning - across two lanes straight at me. I had to go to the emergency lane at the center divider.

There are plenty of debris in lanes so be prepared to get out of the way (if possible).
Old 10-12-2007, 07:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scion Evolution

Uhh, how about roadkills? Biggest I've seen is this poor dog's body on the side of the 101 freeway near Hollywood. I was driving then I saw it..wth!? don't know how long it had been there tho. sigh, I love dogs so it was rly sad to see it there. (it was a big dog)
Old 10-12-2007, 07:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yup, city/state wont do $*%!. When I had my civic, I hit a pothole & it literally completely cracked through 2 of my wheels & ripped up my tires. Crappy Tenzo-R's.....never again will I buy those rims. If you stand it up straight & look through the top you can see the concrete through both lips on the wheel (top portion & bottom). Filed 2 sets of paper work to the city & never heard back.

Quick Reply: Freakin Freeway debris