Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

Fuel Filter and Air Filter

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2007, 08:09 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Fuel Filter and Air Filter

I searched this forum and found absolutely NOTHING on fuel filter and air filter oem replacements.

I did notice alot of CAI and K&N blah blah blah, I don't care about that.

Autozone, Kragen, Napa, Pepboys, local auto stores to me, at what mileage have you replaced your fuel filter and air filter? I know what the manual says, but I'd like to know from you, personally.
Old 11-20-2007, 08:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

check the service manual that came with your tc. it tells you what to inspect and consider replacing at what time and mileage increments.
Old 11-20-2007, 08:13 PM
DelMarVa
Scion Evolution

Any fuel and air filter is going to be an upgrade from the used one in the car....

As for air filter....i like to do it every 6 months....but I do alot of driving and want to make sure its staying very clean...fuel filter....i will have to let you know on that one....I just bought the car in May of 2007....not quite time for that yet...
Old 11-20-2007, 08:14 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by draxcaliber
check the service manual that came with your tc. it tells you what to inspect and consider replacing at what time and mileage increments.
Please do not make me regret posting this question here rather than posting it at ystc.org

Originally Posted by arkenzo
I know what the manual says, but I'd like to know from you, personally.
Reading comprehension, take advantage of hooked on phonics.
Old 11-20-2007, 08:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Supposedly the fuel filter is inside the fuel tank and is never replaced.....as for air filter just go to the dealer and get one through trdsparks.com and email him for a price.

But while we are on the subject....my car has be slightly lagging and i am thinking of using a fuel system cleaner that you add when you fill up with gas....anyone have any suggestions one which kind to use or are they all pretty much they same?
Old 11-20-2007, 08:17 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by LUV2GOFST
Any fuel and air filter is going to be an upgrade from the used one in the car....

As for air filter....i like to do it every 6 months....but I do alot of driving and want to make sure its staying very clean...fuel filter....i will have to let you know on that one....I just bought the car in May of 2007....not quite time for that yet...
Thank you very much sir!

How many miles does your car have? Mine is a 2007 tC w/ 22K miles on it, I drive it alot on the freeways, most of the time, very dusty in my area, air filter was replaced a couple months ago, but not the fuel filter.
Old 11-20-2007, 08:20 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Fsu1dolfan
Supposedly the fuel filter is inside the fuel tank and is never replaced.....as for air filter just go to the dealer and get one through trdsparks.com and email him for a price.

But while we are on the subject....my car has be slightly lagging and i am thinking of using a fuel system cleaner that you add when you fill up with gas....anyone have any suggestions one which kind to use or are they all pretty much they same?
Every senior I know stands by a product called Lucas, I believe is the name of it, there are Lucas gas treatments and engine oil treatments, I believe my father and my father in-law uses both of the treatments on their cars, and they stand by it. I never argue with them about additives, considering my father inlaw's toyotal t100 has over 280k miles on a never rebuilt tranny and engine.

If an additive is something I'm considering to try, it'll be from Lucas.
Old 11-20-2007, 08:20 PM
DelMarVa
Scion Evolution

From what I recall with my Celica....I had major problems with the fuel system....all of the cleaners work about the same....i could never tell the difference from one to another...
Old 11-20-2007, 08:22 PM
DelMarVa
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by LUV2GOFST

Thank you very much sir!

How many miles does your car have? Mine is a 2007 tC w/ 22K miles on it, I drive it alot on the freeways, most of the time, very dusty in my area, air filter was replaced a couple months ago, but not the fuel filter.
Well actually that would be thank you ma'am! lol! But no problem!

My car has 38000 and is an 05.....But I put most of those miles on it since I bought it in may 2007...I bought it with 20k on it...

on another note...i havent reseached the tc very much but the fuel filter has to be able to be replaced....every car has to have it done ever so often....i would call a dealership and see what the toyota mechanics say....i know i will be shortly....
Old 11-20-2007, 08:26 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Sorry jessica, neglected to notice you were a female! My apologies

I believe the fuel filter is located in the fuel tank, from my understanding, I hope this is not true, having to replace it will be a pain in the canoli
Old 11-20-2007, 08:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Every senior I know stands by a product called Lucas, I believe is the name of it, there are Lucas gas treatments and engine oil treatments, I believe my father and my father in-law uses both of the treatments on their cars, and they stand by it. I never argue with them about additives, considering my father inlaw's toyotal t100 has over 280k miles on a never rebuilt tranny and engine.

If an additive is something I'm considering to try, it'll be from Lucas.
Yeah i just did a quick search and saw that Lucas and BG44K are apparently the best things to use....i believe i will be trying one of these this weekend....
http://www.bgprod.com/products/fuelair.html
Old 11-20-2007, 08:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

I believe the fuel filter is located in the fuel tank, from my understanding, I hope this is not true, having to replace it will be a pain in the canoli
Yup gottta love google LOL

http://www.drivewire.com/partresults...ontcfuelfilter

It's in the tank and from what i have heard unless you have serious problems not something that needs to be replaced!
Old 11-20-2007, 08:35 PM
DelMarVa
Scion Evolution

^hmmm well thats good info! Thanks Fsu1dolfan
Old 11-20-2007, 08:36 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Fsu1dolfan, try the Lucas product sold at Autozone, but I honestly do not think you're going to need any fuel/oil additives unless you're at 80-100K mile mark.
Old 11-20-2007, 08:36 PM
DelMarVa
Scion Evolution

No biggie! It happens all the time....When I used to rally all the guys were surprised when I took off my helmet....lol
Old 11-21-2007, 08:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

first check your mass air flow sensor, that can cause lagging as well, since the computer won't know what air/fuel ratio the engine should be receiving. check to see if it's dirty, can clean it with CRC's MAF sensor cleaner (yeah i know, obvious name).

Then the fuel system cleaner I'd suggest would be BG Product's 44K fuel cleaner. it's about $20 a can and yes works great. All the other brands were pretty much the same, not much of an improvement until I found 44K. can go to www.bgprod.com and click on find a shop. Should be able to get a can of it from a local shop. If your problem is in the fuel system, this will definitely clean it up. I'd also suggest getting an oil change after you run any fuel system cleaner through. The chemicals have a tendency to stay on the cylinder walls and mix with the oil. Once you change the oil, no problem. Just a word of advice about fuel cleaners.
Old 11-21-2007, 09:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

DO NOT USE LUCAS OIL

Here's why:
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/images/lucas/lucas.htm

I'd recommend www.lubecontrol.com if anyone wants to try additives.
Old 11-21-2007, 01:24 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

For the fuel system cleaner I would use Lucas Oil fuel system cleaner.
I know the post above says not to use Lucas Oil, but it is talking about oil additives only.
Old 11-21-2007, 09:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You guys are talking crazy, fuel additives are a joke and a marketing skeem for what little hp we have in our cars. I was talking to the parts guy a Toyota about getting a fuel filter and he said that they should last up to 120K miles, but the truth is you should replace it every 2 years is the general rule of thumb. With that said, most of you won't bother to do that because it is in your fuel tank. The filter is $40 and labor on that would be haha not worth it. But let me know if you do do it.
Old 11-21-2007, 11:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by BlueTC06
You guys are talking crazy, fuel additives are a joke and a marketing skeem for what little hp we have in our cars. .
you can believe what you want to believe about fuel additives, most are jokes. But when I have had engine deposits BG products 44k fuel cleaner DID work. And yes I did see what the parts looked like before and after. So if you want to think its just marketing, go right ahead. And I wasn't looking for some magical HP gain, I was looking to clean carbon deposits off the fuel injectors. And yes injectors DO build up deposits, maybe you'd like to look into the fuel industry's testing of injectors due to different additives in gasoline.

Quick Reply: Fuel Filter and Air Filter