future tC owner with some questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2004, 08:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default future tC owner with some questions

reposted in this forum by suggestion

hello all,

i plan on buying a tC soon, hopefully within the next month. i have some questions though . . .

1) regarding the stereo - how easy is it to replace, and are most of you keeping the factory one or putting in an aftermarket? i like the features but i dunno if i need a 6-disc changer. also, would it be easy to run an aux wire out from the back of the factory stereo? regardless of which direction i go, i still want to do that for my iPod

2) i am pretty set on automatic, as i can't drive stick, and don't think it'd be a good idea for me - i already do 200 things at once as i drive, throw in a clutch and i might end up scattered across the highway. also don't need the temptation of throwing in the turbo kit and going Vin Diesel on GA 400. are there any OVERWHELMING arguments as to why i should go manual?

3) dealers - where is a good dealership in the Atlanta area? i want a good experience, i'm going in with a credit history that's not the most stellar, and i also don't want to end up waiting 5 weeks for my car suggestions?

-ad
Old 10-29-2004, 09:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scion Evolution

i changed the stock deck and put in a pioneer AVH-P7500DVD, te shop that did it used a toyoa highander dash kit and modified it. it looks good and since the body stye is a hatchback, the sub sounds even louder.
Old 10-29-2004, 09:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

well, I don't know about the stereo, except that you need to make sure your aftermarket stereo fits in I think it's the 5.25in wide DIN, otherwise you have to fabricate some sort of spacer. I think the factory deck is nice anyways, until I get a full-blown navigation set anyways.

Automatic - it's 4 speed, that in itself should be enough to rule it out. But the manual is 5 speed, closer gearing in a manual, both get the same gas mileage, manual may be a bit better with real world numbers, it doesn't cost $800 more, and it'll force you to pay attention while you're driving because you have to. About "already do 200 things at once as I drive" I'm not going to lecture, but maybe you shouldn't, or you might end up scattered across the highway. Stick takes 20 minutes to learn, and overall use will gain skill. But you'll have more fun driving the car, it'll be a heck of a lot less expensive if you have transmission problems (espeically after warranty) etc etc - get a manual unless you're physically incapable of driving a stick.

dealers - use the search feature on the scion site here http://www.scion.com/scion/pub/deale.../searchForm.do and here's a list of reviews on this site for, I'm assuming Atlanta Georgia - https://www.scionlife.com/dealers/it...&sub_cat_id=11 other than that, visit their sites, stop by and talk to them, ask around etc - and if you want a tC sooner and have extra cash, put a deposit at multiple large dealers and get the car from the first one to get the car you want. If you really love a different dealer, you could wait it out, or if you're getting accessories tell them you got the car from someone else, but you're willing to get everything installed at their dealer and you just couldn't wait that long. You can bring it in to get serviced at any dealer as well, but it helps if you build a relationship with a dealer, preferably the one you buy the vehicle from.