Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2004, 02:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Default gas light on = ??

when your GAS LIGHT turns on, how many miles or how much gas do u have left.

my light usually turns on wen i reach about half a notch or half way before the 1st marker. is this right? or is my gas meter is faulty.

and when you fill up all the way, does it take a long time for the gas needle to move down? and when it starts to move, does it seem lik it moves pretty quick?

i wanna know how far i can push my car.

my driving:

streets = rev up to 3
freeway = cruise at 75

my car is currently standing at 300 miles and lil under the 1st gas marker. (fill a full tank)
Old 09-14-2004, 02:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Seems like most tC owners can get about 300 on a tank before they gas up. I think the average driver fills up with around 12 gallons of gas then, so I think the light would come on with 2 gallons left or about 50 miles before
Old 09-14-2004, 03:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

that's good, considering my truck currently gets only 200 miles a tank...

ugh...fords...
Old 09-14-2004, 04:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by smurf3642
Ugh man, see... my car has a big gas tank, so I get conned into thinking that I'm getting really good gas mileage since I don't have to fill up as often.
Old 09-14-2004, 04:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by The Rupp
Originally Posted by smurf3642
Ugh man, see... my car has a big gas tank, so I get conned into thinking that I'm getting really good gas mileage since I don't have to fill up as often.
In basic math terms you would fill up just the same no matter what. A example.

Car 1:
Average mpg=35
Tank Size=10

Car 2:
Average mpg=25
Tank Size=14

Car 3:
Average mpg=10
Tank Size=35

So in this case if you ran all 3 cars dry & got those numbers, all 3 cars would take you 350miles. So its really just a thing in your head. Now the main thing is kicking your self knowing that you need 14 gallons to get the same distance as some cars with a 10 gallon tank.
Old 09-14-2004, 07:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Scion Evolution

wat "chucksu" is tryin to say is... cars that burn more fuel (trucks) need more money to go the same distance then smaller cars (xb)

but nobody as answered my question or questions accurately.

or your silence means... i dunno? im hoping to find out soon. 320 miles to the tank so far n stil goin. im near empty but the light hasnt turned on yet
Old 09-14-2004, 12:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

From most of the manuals, "do NOT let your fuel guage go below 1/4". But I have been telling my son this for months and I have yet to get into his car and have the needle ABOVE 1/4.......

Kevin
Old 09-14-2004, 01:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

gas light on = get gas
Old 09-14-2004, 01:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^^^^^^^^^^^
Old 09-14-2004, 06:04 PM
5 Year Member

I usually make it about 330 miles on my tC before I get gas. Around 12.5 to 13 gallons is usually what I put in the tank.
Old 09-14-2004, 06:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

My last tank was 357.7 miles on 12.026 gallons of gas... roughly 29.3something mpg, IIRC. Tank before was also in the 350 mile range. I tend to fill up right around 1/8th of a tank left, or if the light comes on.

But then, I do a 108 mile round trip to work and back 4 days a week. My tC = 5 speed.
Old 09-14-2004, 06:28 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Probably not a good idea to let it fall below 1/4 of a tank. The fuel pump is INSIDE the tank and it uses the gas cool the pump. Once the gas falls below a 1/4 tank, the pump is no longer cooled efficiently and this could shorten the life of the pump prematurely. There's nothing like being stranded on the freeway in July when the temp. is in the high 100's then getting hit with with a repair bill exceeding $900 dollars!!
Old 09-14-2004, 06:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Ms Jackal
Probably not a good idea to let it fall below 1/4 of a tank. The fuel pump is INSIDE the tank and it uses the gas cool the pump. Once the gas falls below a 1/4 tank, the pump is no longer cooled efficiently and this could shorten the life of the pump prematurely. There's nothing like being stranded on the freeway in July when the temp. is in the high 100's then getting hit with with a repair bill exceeding $900 dollars!!
I would think if something like that did happen it would be under warranty unless it went out after the warranty goes. Another reason is they say dirt & all that crap builds up on the bottom of the tank & if you run your car almost dry you are just sending that stuff to your engine. Now your fuel filter should catch most of it but it cant catch it all.

As for the poster if you really want to try something just get a 5 gallon gas can & keep it in your car. Just run it dry until it stalls from no gas then put the 5 gallons in & get to a gas station. That will give you a rough idea how far you can get on a tank. Each person lives in different areas & they drive different. Each of you have the same car but I have seen gas milage ratings on here from a little over 18mpg all the way up to 30mpg. So its not a exact number that some one can tell you.
Old 09-14-2004, 07:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

actually before my first time filling up gas, the gas light lit up at the beginning of the last bar. i thought the tank was small or something... after that refill and drive, the light doesnt lit up at the beginning of the last bar anymore. i got it to atleast half way on the last bar and the light didnt lit up. so my mine will prabably lit up near the end over halg way of the last bar....
Old 09-14-2004, 08:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

I've been filling up at or before 1/4.... so I have no idea as to when the gas light comes on or even how long you have until empty. the lowest I've ever taken her, it took me almost 12 gallons to fill up.

And since no one else has responded to your other question.... yes, it does take a long time for the needle to move from a full tank, and it does seem to go pretty fast once it does start moving. I can usually go 60 to 80 miles (depending on how I drive) before the needle starts to drop. And that is without topping that tank off.
Old 09-14-2004, 10:42 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I would think if something like that did happen it would be under warranty unless it went out after the warranty goes.

Perhaps, but it will still leave you stalled somewhere...out there...Not to mention the unspecified down time associated with such a major repair [they have to remove the tank].
Old 09-15-2004, 02:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The only time the fuel pump is at risk is if you totally run out of gas. Running it low does nothing. The fuel pickup is at the bottom (so it can get all the gas, see?) so the talk about sediment or dirt is nonsense.

Don't run your car out of gas on a regular basis and you'll be fine.
Old 09-15-2004, 03:06 AM
5 Year Member

wow i just have to say u all impress me....the very best tank ive had was 240...usually under that though....350 miles + sounds completely crazy to me and yeah i had to make this my first post......i had to give props to the people that evidently drive their tc's gentle
Old 09-15-2004, 04:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

Originally Posted by legendcoupe
wow i just have to say u all impress me....the very best tank ive had was 240...usually under that though....350 miles + sounds completely crazy to me and yeah i had to make this my first post......i had to give props to the people that evidently drive their tc's gentle
you're seriously getting that much under 20mpg???????
I only dipped below 20mpg once, and blame that on the engine still breaking in.... on average, I'm getting about 25mpg.
Old 09-15-2004, 09:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Scion Evolution

12 gallons with 350+ miles ????

i dunt tink that is possible in my car.

i got about 350 to the dot. (give or take) but no more than 350 for sure. and tat isnt a 12 gallon gas tank. i got about near 16 gallons. more lik 15.6 or 15.7 gallons.

manual says its 14.5 gallons. or i mean scion.com says so

Quick Reply: gas light on = ??